BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

We've had a lot of video game adaptions for a long while though, no? I think we're more like to see a Crash Bandicoot movie made similarly to Mario so that it appeals to all four quadrants. Maybe some others like that too but I'm not sure that there are many characters as popular with everyone as Mario, Sonic and Crash. Sonic already just did it's thing... Little late for a course correct there. Mario probably hitting it's Jurassic World/Force Awakens peak here, so likely none of the ones that come after will gross as much because they'll lose the novelty.

This is box office of site so not sure how Last of Us would cinematically as it's very much a series and not a movie. I don't know what the plan is for Bioshock... Movie or series?

We've actually seen a TON of video game movies over the past decade... Since 2010 or so we've had wide releases for Sonic, Uncharted, Mortal Kombat, Pokemon, Rampage, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Warcraft, Need for Speed, Silent Hill, Prince of Persia, Max Payne movies. 

I do not think Mario being huge means all of the sudden video game movies will be big successes. Mario is a HUGE brand. And, very easily made into a family film and, more so, a sugar rush for children... All this does is maximize admissions. I think Sonic if they course correct and make it like Mario could be like this... I think Crash can be like this too... Though, of course, neither close to as big as Mario.

I don't believe any of the others can be like this... None of them have even close to brand awareness across people aged 6 to 86 like Mario does. Not close.

100% agree. 

We’ve had tons of video game movies for years and now I read dozens of articles and see there’s tons of podcasts declaring this a new thing??

Nintendo’s in-house games and characters have had untapped monster potential if they got it right. Just like Marvel. That’s what’s happened here. No more, no less. 

I also loathe how videogames mean Mario gets lumped in as the same sandbox as Last of Us. Wtf? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, I'm not expecting much. If Crowe acts anything like he does in the trailers throughout the movie, it'll entertain me more than Renfield though. Maybe for the wrong reasons but still... Has a nice Vatican Has Fallen vibe with him as the overly serious lead instead of Gerard Butler in his Has Fallen series. That alone is a fun hook for me. Crowe has a better presence than anyone in Renfield too... At least for me, so he'll keep me engaged. I had a big smile most of Unhinged watching him chew up the scenery even if the move wasn't the greatest. Hoping it's the same case for me when I see Pope's Exorcist.

I loved Unhinged. One of my first films back at the cinema when they reopened briefly during Covid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

A Zelda movie will be another billion dollar plus movie methinks.

How would it be made? Would it be essentially a companion to Mario's style made by Illumination with CG animation that comes in 90 minutes and is packaged primarily for children? Or, would it be an enormously budgeted live action movie and take a swing at the scope and depth at something Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter? The former isn't much of a risk but I'm not sure appeals to even close to same large audience as Mario. The later is a huge risk because the budget would have to be insane and as popular as Zelda is... He's no Mario.

I think Crash Bandicoot is the best bet as the next non Mario 1B+ earner at the box office if made similarly to Mario.

• ...wtf 1

Honestly a real shame how D&D is performing. Mario really has shown that video game (or I guess just “game”) properties can really connect when done right. And having seen the movie, this was definitely “done right.” Great movie, lots of fun, perfect tone for what it was going for.

It’ll likely end with sub-200M worldwide. Would have loved to see a sequel but alas, Paramount will have to try something new to get another franchise.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, so close yet so far to my over BatB 2nd weekend prediction heading into the weekend. That said, I still think it could tick up to 89 in actuals. Over I2 DOM should be all but locked with a 2nd weekend hold like this. 

How is passing I2 a locked when Mario can't even beat I2's running total as at 2nd-weekend with Mario had extra two days advantage?  It is $348m vs $349m now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly a real shame how D&D is performing. Mario really has shown that video game (or I guess just “game”) properties can really connect when done right. And having seen the movie, this was definitely “done right.” Great movie, lots of fun, perfect tone for what it was going for.

It’ll likely end with sub-200M worldwide. Would have loved to see a sequel but alas, Paramount will have to try something new to get another franchise.

Agreed. Such a fun movie, and it played so well with the Sunday afternoon crowd I saw it with opening weekend that I was sure strong legs would be a given. Hopefully, like Daley & Goldstein's previous film, it can have a more successful run on streaming.

I think a live action Zelda movie done rights has way more cross over appeal than an animated version.

I can see casuals treating it like Lord of the Rings.

Basically the opposite of Mario which had the most appeal animated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

How would it be made? Would it be essentially a companion to Mario's style made by Illumination with CG animation that comes in 90 minutes and is packaged primarily for children? Or, would it be an enormously budgeted live action movie and take a swing at the scope and depth at something Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter? The former isn't much of a risk but I'm not sure appeals to even close to same large audience as Mario. The later is a huge risk because the budget would have to be insane and as popular as Zelda is... He's no Mario.

I think Crash Bandicoot is the best bet as the next non Mario 1B+ earner at the box office if made similarly to Mario.

Live action fantasy epic adaptation of OOT is my advice for what they should do. The story could be tweaked to an amazing fantasy epic film if done right. Hope they don’t try to adapt BOTW as their ref point, that story is bare bones 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

How is passing I2 a locked when Mario can't even beat I2's running total as at 2nd-weekend with Mario had extra two days advantage?  It is $348m vs $349m now. 

You really think Mario just pulled a sub 40% second weekend hold and isn’t going to hold way better than I2, for the next few weekends with zero comp especially? Best of luck with that. 

Kinda like arguing TGM wasn’t locked for 600 after that 2nd weekend drop…

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, grey ghost said:

I think a live action Zelda movie done rights has way more cross over appeal than an animated version.

I can see casuals treating it like Lord of the Rings.

Basically the opposite of Mario which had the most appeal animated.

Yes... I agree. But, that's a much bigger risk. Mario only cost Illumination 100M production budget. And, the hook is that it literally has one big goal... Recapture the feeling of playing the game. That's it. That's the whole thing. It does that very well and audiences love it. Since it's CG animated, it especially does that well. Then, tosses in the usual Illumination needles drops, winks, nods for the extra charm and some Easter eggs and voila... Done. Huge movie. Oh, yeah, it the most known game character maybe ever so everyone knows who he is and has played a Mario game over the past 50 years.

I think Zelda would be a considerable expense and is not four quadrant. The primary reason Mario is huge is because it's a kids movie that has crossover appeal. Zelda, if live action, will likely not pull many kids. So I'm not so sure it would end nearly as well for Zelda. I'd think if live action, the production budget would need to be something like 200M+... And, actually probably have to be somewhat self serious if live action which is an added risk because it can zap the fun out of movie. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

You really think Mario just pulled a sub 40% second weekend hold and isn’t going to hold way better than I2, for the next few weekends with zero comp especially? Best of luck with that. 

A better weekend holds is only to offset summer weekdays that I2 had. Mario only have 8m lead over I2's entire 2nd weekend but I2 gains over Mario with $7m on this past Thursday alone. 

Passing I2's is definitely possible but far from locked. 

• Like 4