BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

Total annual box office for 2023 for Jan. 1-April 16 is clocking $2.5 billion, +44% over the same period last year.

Do we know how Deadline got the $2.5bn year-to-date gross? According to BOM the year-to-date gross should be around $2.3bn. I know not all studio report their gross publicly but the gap shouldn't be this much. We are talking about some $200m difference, that is equivalent to PIB2's entire gross.

If $2.5bn sticks, this would mean domestic market is starting to take over China, claiming back the biggest BO market of the world again.  

14 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

There's nothing condescending about making a western movie for westerners with a western point of view. 

It is however, kind of condescending for Hollywood to to say "Nice 100+ years of cinema you've got there Japan, but we can do it better."

I'm not seeing a problem with Hollywood doing stories about Asians with Asian actors.

The story takes place in feudal Japan.

16 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

To me it's obvious the next games on the agenda for Illumination aside from the Super Mario Bros sequel is Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country. The way they showed you DK's world in the movie makes me think that's definitely on the agenda. 

Also all the protagonists of the games were in the arena. DK, Diddy, Dixie, and I believe that was Kiddy. Those are the protagonists of 1 through 3.

Absolutely. Makes MUCH more sense than trying to do Metroid or Zelda next.

3 hours ago, OceanBlvd said:

A Zelda movie will be another billion dollar plus movie methinks.

I don’t think Zelda has that kind of IP power. as a random example, my mom definitely does not know Link but she knows Mario. and as an anecdote for myself as an avid gamer, i’ve only played breath of the wild and twilight princess, whereas I’ve played dozens of mario games. I think Zelda is strong in the mind of “geek culture” and reddit, but not even close to as ubiquitous as mario

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

How would it be made? Would it be essentially a companion to Mario's style made by Illumination with CG animation that comes in 90 minutes and is packaged primarily for children? Or, would it be an enormously budgeted live action movie and take a swing at the scope and depth at something Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter? The former isn't much of a risk but I'm not sure appeals to even close to same large audience as Mario. The later is a huge risk because the budget would have to be insane and as popular as Zelda is... He's no Mario.

I think Crash Bandicoot is the best bet as the next non Mario 1B+ earner at the box office if made similarly to Mario.

crash bandicoot has 0% chance of a billion lol. people are getting crazy because of mario. crash hasn’t had a successful game since the early 2000s and isn’t even in super smash 

5 minutes ago, Whydidyoudoit said:

I disagree. Animated would "bomb" like the original animated LOTR movie. The audiences-drawing novelty would be in a well-made, ambitious, LOTR style live-action film. 

The LotR animation was adult oriented before adult animation was popular. 

Zelda would be a kids' movie with easter eggs for adults/nostalgia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

crash bandicoot has 0% chance of a billion lol. people are getting crazy because of mario. crash hasn’t had a successful game since the early 2000s and isn’t even in super smash 

Seriously. We just saw Detective Pikachu and multiple Sonic movies try this and while they handled their own, none of them cracked half a billion.

Now Mario coasts past a billion and suddenly we’re expecting every video game franchise—including ones about 5% as big—to do it?

Mario is Mario. He’s in a class of his own and the films I just mentioned prove it. Nintendo/Illumination have a chance to start something special here but if all the industry learns from this is “video game movies = print money” it’s going to be a rough decade. I really don’t want us to get tons and tons of fad, terribly done video game movies that fail miserably out of this. I want to get something successful that can last like the MCU.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The LotR animation was adult oriented before adult animation was popular. 

Zelda would be a kids' movie with easter eggs for adults/nostalgia. 

Which would not be a total bomb but would likely underperform, given that Nintendo's pushed Zelda in a more adult direction for a while now (really since Twilight Princess)

3 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

So, with that, outside of what Illumination created here and can expand on with more animated movies in the Super Mario universe (pretty much the same thing they did with Despicable Me/Minions) you don't see a boom in other successful video game characters brought to film? If so, I agree. I think they build off this movie and have Illumination explore other popular Mario properties as offshoots of the Super Mario Bros. movie until it's just about milked dry... Maybe a Super Smash Bros. movie being the Avengers so to speak of the series. All of those would remain big to maybe even huge if they keep audiences happy with the quality. But, all of them very much being Illumination movies very much aimed at very small children that can appeal the family too.

But, yeah, I honestly don't know that you can do this successfully with many other video game characters/franchises. We've seen other video game movies fail at it so often. Mario definitely feels like the outlier here. And, Illumination definitely has another Gru/Minions type setup in which they can keep making successful movies out the Super Mario game characters.

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Which would not be a total bomb but would likely underperform, given that Nintendo's pushed Zelda in a more adult direction for a while now (really since Twilight Princess)

So what age range should a Zelda movie aim for?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So, with that, outside of what Illumination created here and can expand on with more animated movies in the Super Mario universe (pretty much the same thing they did with Despicable Me/Minions) you don't see a boom in other successful video game characters brought to film? If so, I agree. I think they build off this movie and have Illumination explore other popular Mario properties as offshoots of the Super Mario Bros. movie until it's just about milked dry... Maybe a Super Smash Bros. movie being the Avengers so to speak of the series. All of those would remain big to maybe even huge if they keep audiences happy with the quality. But, all of them very much being Illumination movies very much aimed at very small children that can appeal the family too.

But, yeah, I honestly don't know that you can do this successfully with many other video game characters/franchises. We've seen other video game movies fail at it so often. Mario definitely feels like the outlier here. And, Illumination definitely has another Gru/Minions type setup in which they can keep making successful movies out the Super Mario game characters.

This is why Reddit needs to pump the brakes on the NCU dreaming.

Sure, we might get a sequel. Sure, we MIGHT get a Donkey Kong or Luigi spinoff. We might even get a Zelda movie. But beyond that, the Nintendo characters get pretty obscure. Yoshi, Princess Peach, and outside Mario characters like Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Ness, etc. are not going to be nearly strong enough to manage a full movie all by themselves. That’s one reason Marvel was able to create a MCU. Captain America and Ant-Man and Doctor Strange could all carry a movie. I highly doubt any Nintendo character outside of Mario or maybe Link could.

If I’m wrong, then that’s awesome. I just have my doubts.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, superduperm said:

This is why Reddit needs to pump the brakes on the NCU dreaming.

Sure, we might get a sequel. Sure, we MIGHT get a Donkey Kong or Luigi spinoff. We might even get a Zelda movie. But beyond that, the Nintendo characters get pretty obscure. Yoshi, Princess Peach, and outside Mario characters like Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Ness, etc. are not going to be nearly strong enough to manage a full movie all by themselves. That’s one reason Marvel was able to create a MCU. Captain America and Ant-Man and Doctor Strange could all carry a movie. I highly doubt any Nintendo character outside of Mario or maybe Link could.

If I’m wrong, then that’s awesome. I just have my doubts.

Link easily could but the movie would have to be made/targeted right.

53 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

To me it's obvious the next games on the agenda for Illumination aside from the Super Mario Bros sequel is Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country. The way they showed you DK's world in the movie makes me think that's definitely on the agenda. 

Also all the protagonists of the games were in the arena. DK, Diddy, Dixie, and I believe that was Kiddy. Those are the protagonists of 1 through 3.

It was Chunky from DK64, not Kiddy

34 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

I don’t think Zelda has that kind of IP power. as a random example, my mom definitely does not know Link but she knows Mario. and as an anecdote for myself as an avid gamer, i’ve only played breath of the wild and twilight princess, whereas I’ve played dozens of mario games. I think Zelda is strong in the mind of “geek culture” and reddit, but not even close to as ubiquitous as mario

It's still a pretty big franchise. Breath of the Wild was huge both saleswise and impact on the game industry, and Tears of the Kingdom is almost guaranteed to be one of the biggest games of the year