Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 hour ago, 21C said:

Success-based residuals sound reasonable although it highly depends on the studio's idea of success.

I think it's reasonable if they remove the fixed payment residual, at the moment your paid regardless of success so it punishes success and rewards failure, most show with residuals these days would have never made it to syndication and never have gotten residuals. Success based residuals should happen, bit the fixed price residuals need to go too.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I honestly feel nervous if a deal is really being reached now. I don’t think the studios are anywhere near the point of hurting enough yet to agree to fair terms, so that makes me worried WGA is just too wiped out if it ends now. 

I mean, this is almost as far as writers have ever gone with a work stoppage. And WB did make a note of possible losses in their last earnings adjustment, so I don't think you can say they aren't being impacted by it.

Idk if we'll ever know how fair the terms are. No matter what someone is still going to be unhappy with it, but there is an old adage that "A good compromise leaves everybody mad". All you can do is hope it's the best for the industry long-term.

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I honestly feel nervous if a deal is really being reached now. I don’t think the studios are anywhere near the point of hurting enough yet to agree to fair terms, so that makes me worried WGA is just too wiped out if it ends now. 

What do you expect? People are going broke and taking out their retirement savings/ pension plans. 

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean, this is almost as far as writers have ever gone with a work stoppage. And WB did make a note of possible losses in their last earnings adjustment, so I don't think you can say they aren't being impacted by it.

Idk if we'll ever know how fair the terms are. No matter what someone is still going to be unhappy with it, but there is an old adage that "A good compromise leaves everybody mad". All you can do is hope it's the best for the industry long-term.

Just for clarification wb did not report a loss they reported less profit than expected as dune 2 has moved to next year, they still would be reporting revenue of 10.5 billion 

3 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

Just for clarification wb did not report a loss they reported less profit than expected as dune 2 has moved to next year, they still would be reporting revenue of 10.5 billion 

They made no mention of Dune in the SEC filing, their earnings adjustment was attributed directly to the strikes. They're still trying to dig themselves out of an enormous hole from the pre Zaslav regime, so less earnings than expected is a pretty big issue for them still.

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This seems like a much stronger statement from SAG now, compared to their comments about Drew Barrymore's show, even though the situations aren't so different (non-narrative shows with very few writers). What's changed?

I wonder if SAG has realised that WGA is indirectly hurting their members by picketing these shows and delaying them plus because the non scripted side of the business isn't on strike, they are more liable for damages from studios if talent drops out or delays production.