Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Who said she had political ambitions???

(not even gonna comment on the "SAG should just give up and settle" stuff that has been leaking into this thread the last few days)

The revenue sharing thing is something they should 100% give up on. Everything else keep fighting it since I think they can eventually get.

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t agree with the ‘SAG should just give up and settle’ rhetoric either. But there were rumors about Fran angling for a political career online. We don’t need another Ronald Reagan, we already have the whole democracy system of the western threatened by next year’s US election.

I don't recall that at all.  What I do recall in this very thread were chants of "Fran for President" from posters here when she made her blistering speech at the start of the strike.

I rolled my eyes then and might have even gently pushed back a bit.  Do recall rolling my eyes even more when the Ronald Reagan comparison was brought up a bit later in the thread.

Not that Fran Drescher has remotely the right skill set to make it far in the world of politics anyway, so it is and was then a moot point.  Which is mostly my point here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't recall that at all.  What I do recall in this very thread were chants of "Fran for President" from posters here when she made her blistering speech at the start of the strike.

I rolled my eyes then and might have even gently pushed back a bit.  Do recall rolling my eyes even more when the Ronald Reagan comparison was brought up a bit later in the thread.

Not that Fran Drescher has remotely the right skill set to make it far in the world of politics anyway, so it is and was then a moot point.  Which is mostly my point here.

Porthos you are one of the most clever posters on BOT. You know that people think that of you,  myself included. But come on now, don’t be naive. If this isn’t a profile of an aspiring politician, I don’t know what it is. Shit like this isn’t said in a vacuum:

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Porthos you are one of the most clever posters on BOT. You know that people think that of you,  myself included. But come on now, don’t be naive. If this isn’t a profile of an aspiring politician, I don’t know what it is. Shit like this isn’t said in a vacuum:

I'm just saying I didn't see those stories.

I'm also saying that she is really unsuited for politics so it's all a moot point anyway.  

(her playing footsie [and badly I might add] with antivax elements within SAG was enough to convince me of that ages ago even before this latest... shall we say, speed bump)

Like, I know the shadow of Reagan runs deep (never mind recent biz with Trump), but sometimes one can just look at someone and go, "Nah."  

I look at her, and see some of the things she's done looooong before this?  Yeah, "Nah." 🙂 

(I will stipulate she might get somewhere with some sort of minor office somewhere — but anything of 'real' importance? ... "Nah." 🙂)

• Thanks 1

God this thread has turned into a unholy union of bizarre psuedo-misogyny and anti-union misinformation. It's like EmpireCity made a bunch of alt accounts. I think that we all want a deal to get done and of course some compromise will be needed, and that's fair to discuss. But the gleeful bashing of Fran rooted in rumors just feels weird my guys.

• Like 6
  • Heart 2
  • Knock It Off 1

26 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

God this thread has turned into a unholy union of bizarre psuedo-misogyny and anti-union misinformation. It's like EmpireCity made a bunch of alt accounts. I think that we all want a deal to get done and of course some compromise will be needed, and that's fair to discuss. But the gleeful bashing of Fran rooted in rumors just feels weird my guys.

No one is "gleefully bashing" Fran, lol. Her speech at the beginning of the strike was iconic. It's just disappointment that her recent moves (moving beyond the silly "bringing a doll to an important meeting" stuff, her statements to the press about how she "doesn't need to emulate masculine energy to be a good leader" does come off as a bit tone-deaf, and a tad insulting, given that one of the studio heads widely cited as trying to resolve this strike is a woman, Universal's Donna Langley) have clearly cast widespread doubt within the industry as to whether she can lead the union through this. SAG-AFTRA has been on the "good guy" side this whole time, but that doesn't mean they are shielded from criticism when they face their own set of publicity stumbles either.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

She pretty much confirmed the rumors.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Very disappointing indeed.

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This does track with the 10 day deadline report: broadcast TV is on a track, and the industry basically closes from November to New Year's. If it goes into November, it's too late to save the 2024 TV slate, so waiting till January doesn't make much difference 

I hope everything next year gets pushed back and everything this quarter bombs. Fuck those greedy ass CEOs.

Surprised Iger could afford this move tbh. If Marvels and Wish bomb, Disney loses its bargaining power with theaters and it's chokehold on dates.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

I hope everything next year gets pushed back and everything this quarter bombs. Fuck those greedy ass CEOs.

Surprised Iger could afford this move tbh. If Marvels and Wish bomb, Disney loses its bargaining power with theaters and it's chokehold on dates.

The CEOs are gonna be the least affected. They're still gonna be living in their mansion in the end. If this drags on to January the true people that'll be screwed are the working people. All Iger, Sarandos, Zaslav, etc might need is a expensive trip to the bahamas to lick their wounds.

• Like 1

SAG needs to understand they're not gonna get a cut a streaming revenue and if they are there's gonna be heavily limitations. Not every show deserves a cut of streaming revenue especially if it's a show that does not perform well. Asking for anything above .050% if way too much.

Focus on the AI thing, that's the most important thing. 

Nobody is talking about the true people being screwed over here, crew members which if this continues will not have a paycheck for close to to 9 months.

• Like 1