The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Just now, dudalb said:

He also ignores that UA was founded by the superstars of their day; not the same an a group of indie filmmakers nowdays trying to get the money to start their own studio.

I do think a lot of these actors are getting a bit ahead of themselves, you can agree with the strikes but think they're mouthing off without thinking first. 

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Ms. Marvel pivot is clearly because they have a new movie to promote (and can't be delayed without rearranging the marketing deals they have in place launching in less than three months for its November release date).

I think that a Disney + series going to ABC was inevitable if the Massive strike happened; it's a quick, easy and cheap way to provide programming that a lot of those who do not subscribe to Disney + have never seen before.

But I think the choice of Ms Marvel rather then, say, "Wandavision" or "Loki" was indeed to help promote the movie.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I do think a lot of these actors are getting a bit ahead of themselves, you can agree with the strikes but think they're mouthing off without thinking first. 

It's the same old question: Where is the money coming from?

It is amazing how many otherwise intelligent people really do seem to think money grows on trees.

And, as I stated, pure patrons of the arts who will finance movies without caring if they get their money back or not are goint to be few and far between.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Yellowstone is going to be shredded, that show has more swearing than a drunken cowboy. 

Some of the cuts they made to the "Sopranos" was pretty funny..unintentionally.

At least DIsney does not have that problem with moving it's Disney + shows to ABC, few cuts will have to be made.

I suspect both Marvel and Star Wars Disney Plus stuff will be on ABC until the strike is settled.

MS Marvel is only the first...and, yes, I think that choice to be first was made with the upcoming movie in mind.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think that a Disney + series going to ABC was inevitable if the Massive strike happened; it's a quick, easy and cheap way to provide programming that a lot of those who do not subscribe to Disney + have never seen before.

But I think the choice of Ms Marvel rather then, say, "Wandavision" or "Loki" was indeed to help promote the movie.

It may have been 2 reasons:

1. The new movie

2. It starred all unknowns who probably did not get nearly the contract protections that actors/actresses who had already starred in the MCU movies did.  I'd love to see if the contracts written for Ms. Marvel are anywhere close to as protective to the talent as Wandavision likely was.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Has Ruffalo explained where the hell they would get the money to break lose from Hollywood?

If he tries it, he is going to find out that patrons of the arts who don';t care if they get their money back or not  are very few and far between.

It might be… emphasis on *might be*… possible for some Hollywood a-listers to rustle up enough cash to film a movie length feature for YouTube. This would mean everyone involved taking a massive pay cut, but it could be done. An original story uploaded to YouTube would probably get an awful lot of attention and sponsorship. Probably the single largest distributor of video content in the world today, that’s set up to reward those who get the most subscribers and views. 

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It may have been 2 reasons:

1. The new movie

2. It starred all unknowns who probably did not get nearly the contract protections that actors/actresses who had already starred in the MCU movies did.  I'd love to see if the contracts written for Ms. Marvel are anywhere close to as protective to the talent as Wandavision likely was.

But I think the most important reason was to get some programming that people might acutaly want to watch on ABC instead of repeats or other filler material with nothing new coming down the road for some time thanks to the strike.

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

It might be… emphasis on *might be*… possible for some Hollywood a-listers to rustle up enough cash to film a movie length feature for YouTube. This would mean everyone involved taking a massive pay cut, but it could be done. An original story uploaded to YouTube would probably get an awful lot of attention and sponsorship. Probably the single largest distributor of video content in the world today, that’s set up to reward those who get the most subscribers and views. 

Point is A listers.Thye can raise money. Indie producers, which is what I think Ruffalo was talking about, cannot.

I don't think that is what Ruffalo had in mind. I also think he had more then a one shot in mind.

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Stop with this idea that actors will switch to YouTube from Hollywood, it's not going to happen!!

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I assume the WGA and SAG can't do anything about Nolan and Gerwig promoting their films even both are writers and in case of Gerwig an actress because it's under their director guise and so it's not struck work.

It’s a gray area but yes, AFAIK they can both say they’re operating as directors and contractually obligated to promote. That being said, one hopes they’ll continue to use the platform to mention their fellow striking writers and actors. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s a gray area but yes, AFAIK they can both say they’re operating as directors and contractually obligated to promote. That being said, one hopes they’ll continue to use the platform to mention their fellow striking writers and actors. 

This is why I imagine Disney will probably send Kenneth Branagh out on tour for A Haunting in Venice because while he can't promote the film as an actor, he can as the director. 

There is a lot of areas which I imagine would need answering, can an actor promote a play they're in since that's under American Equity and not SAG for example. Same with projects made under British Equity contracts like Doctor Who or anything that airs on Masterpiece, I'm assuming those actors and writers can promote those projects.

40 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Nollan said he will not start work any new movie until the strike is settled.

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Nollan said he will not start work any new movie until the strike is settled.

I’m happy he said that, but also, he can’t even if he wanted to, lol. (Assuming he doesn’t wanna direct some weird non-WGA script he didn’t write).