Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

4 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I've always said with the actors inclusion this will end in September/October. Still sticking to it. 

Also I think the movement of Dune is likely because if the chance that they don't Chalamet doing lots of promotion for two movies in back to back months once it ends. Have at all be focused on Wonka till its release and so after Wonka they can put all the energy into Dune p 2.

Dune has a very starry and social media bait cast (Zendaya! Austin! Miss Flo!) that they likely want doing those red carpet appearances and interviews, which isn't possible during this strike. Wonka staying put makes sense both because of its winter theme and being the kind of movie that doesn't really need actor promotion to sell tickets (especially when its target audience is families).

Personally I'm hoping WB keeps all of Wonka/Aquaman/The Color Purple (arguably the three most high-profile movies set for that month) in December. After Barbenheimer, let's the get the ball rolling on "A Very Warner Bros. Christmas."

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Dune has a very starry and social media bait cast (Zendaya! Austin! Miss Flo!) that they likely want doing those red carpet appearances and interviews, which isn't possible during this strike. Wonka staying put makes sense both because of its winter theme and being the kind of movie that doesn't really need actor promotion to sell tickets (especially when its target audience is families).

Personally I'm hoping WB keeps all of Wonka/Aquaman/The Color Purple (arguably the three most high-profile movies set for that month) in December. After Barbenheimer, let's the get the ball rolling on "A Very Warner Bros. Christmas."

Wonka really only need Timmy to promote it in the US, the UK can easily get away with using Hugh Grant, Olivia Colman etc

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And the first big 2023 release date casualty is...well, it seems like it's Challengers. Start placing bets on what's next.

I suspect the lack of promotion was a concern for MGM unlike A Haunting in Venice for Disney which only needs Branagh to promote it in his capacity as a director. 

Edited by Jonwo

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect the lack of promotion was a concern for MGM unlike A Haunting in Venice which only needs Branagh to promote it in his capacity as a director. 

Any movie this fourth quarter that is heavily dependent upon actor promo is in danger now. I suspect Dumb Money is going to lose its September 22 date soon. Despite the rumors of WB moving release dates around, I suspect The Color Purple will stay in December both for awards consideration and because arguably the two biggest names involved in the movie (Oprah and Spielberg) can sell it as producers even if the actors can't (should the strike somehow last through the fall).

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Any movie this fourth quarter that is heavily dependent upon actor promo is in danger now. I suspect Dumb Money is going to lose its September 22 date soon. Despite the rumors of WB moving release dates around, I suspect The Color Purple will stay in December both for awards consideration and because arguably the two biggest names involved in the movie (Oprah and Spielberg) can sell it as producers even if the actors can't (should the strike somehow last through the fall).

I think there will be some moves but not to the same extent as Covid, I'm sure exhibitors would rather see the dramas like Challengers move than say The Marvels or Migration, it's not ideal but it's not the big ticket films. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think there will be some moves but not to the same extent as Covid, I'm sure exhibitors would rather see the dramas like Challengers move than say The Marvels or Migration, it's not ideal but it's not the big ticket films. 

Yeah, it's obvious the ones that will fuel the box office (The Marvels, Wish, Hunger Games, etc.) or don't need the actors to sell them (horror movies or something like The Creator that's being sold on the big screen experience and not the stars) are in no danger of moving. I imagine the studio would prefer it if Timothee could be able to promote Wonka come December, but it's the kind of movie/target audience where trailers and marketing tie-ins are much more crucial to its success than a starry red carpet premiere anyway.

Challengers isn’t a big movie but it is one of those films that needs promo for awareness more than a film like The Marvels. If the bigger ticket 2023 movies start moving it’s really because the 2024 schedule is getting pushed. 

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, it's obvious the ones that will fuel the box office (The Marvels, Wish, Hunger Games, etc.) or don't need the actors to sell them (horror movies or something like The Creator that's being sold on the big screen experience and not the stars) are in no danger of moving. I imagine the studio would prefer it if Timothee could be able to promote Wonka come December, but it's the kind of movie/target audience where trailers and marketing tie-ins are much more crucial to its success than a starry red carpet premiere anyway.

The Color Purple is an interesting dilemma for WB because it's an awards play and also the potential to make money but I think they'll stay put or possibly alter the release schedule a bit. I think Oprah along with Blitz would be enough, I'm not sure they need Spielberg to promote it. 

10 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

It would be very healthy for this entire conversation if we all stopped looking towards the figurehead of a disgusting cult (that has spent millions of dollars schmoozing Hollywood studios for decades) as a person who should be anywhere near these negotiations, in any way whatsoever.

It would be hard to despise the CO$ more then I do, but the last decade has been a disaster for them. They are longer as powerful as they used to be. Circa  2013, just too much came out about them. Now you have Hollywood celebs openly breaking with and blasting the C0$, And, come to think of it, Tommy has been keeping his involvment with the CO$ very much buried lately.

But, yeah, I don't think with all the baggage Cruise would be a good choice as a peacemaker.

And fo c ourse I know I will get blasted by the Cruisebots for this since they think Cruise is Xenu and cannot do wrong.

Wierd thing is I like a lot of his movies but have little respect fof him as a person despite the PR gimmicks he uses.

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just need to know if Next Goal Wins is in any danger of moving yet again.

Game Of Thrones I Must Be Cursed GIF - Game Of Thrones I Must Be Cursed  Natalie Dormer - Discover & Share GIFs

Next Goal Wins is the New Mutants of awards movies.

If a deal isn't on the horizon into December the awards shows themselves will probably be moved. The major shows have to plan in advance. Critics groups might name winners but stars can't even go to untelevised ceremonies during a SAG strike. Presumably SAG wouldn't have their awards show at all (especially since it's supposed to air on Netflix).

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The Color Purple is an interesting dilemma for WB because it's an awards play and also the potential to make money but I think they'll stay put or possibly alter the release schedule a bit. I think Oprah along with Blitz would be enough, I'm not sure they need Spielberg to promote it. 

I thin a lot of the big ticket popcorn movie  items..."The Marvles" "Aquaman" "Wonka" can promote themselves quite nicely without any stars and personal appreances through trailers and routine markeitng alone,, but I think the more serious fare like "Color Purple" and"Killers of the Flower Moon" might need the star personal appreance factor.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I thin a lot of the big ticket popcorn movie  items..."The Marvles" "Aquaman" "Wonka" can promote themselves quite nicely without any stars and personal appreances through trailers and routine markeitng alone,, but I think the more serious fare like "Color Purple" and"Killers of the Flower Moon" might need the star personal appreance factor.

With Killers of the Flower Moon, they can rely on Marty to promote it as DiCaprio rarely does the big press tours aside from the odd premiere, same with DeNiro. Napoleon will have to rely on Ridley Scott

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

With Killers of the Flower Moon, they can rely on Marty to promote it as DiCaprio rarely does the big press tours aside from the odd premiere, same with DeNiro. Napoleon will have to rely on Ridley Scott

Marty is one of the few directors who is well known to the public.and he has been known to do a little acting on the side also.

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Aquaman without Jason Momoa to promote it would do horribly since he's the only thing that movie has going for it.