kayumanggi

OPPENHEIMER | 630.6M overseas | 960.4M worldwide

After a weekend that the company says demonstrates a “paradigm shift at hand in moviegoing,” Imax Corporation has reported a 32% jump in revenue for its second quarter and an 8% increase, to $268m, in global box office. 

The large-format exhibition operation had revenue of $98m for the quarter and profit of $8.4m, up from a loss of $2.9m in the previous year’s second quarter. Adjusted EBITDA was up 29% to $32.8m. 

The top grossing Imax releases in the second quarter were The Super Mario Bros Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. But in his comments on the results company CEO Richard Gelfond highlighted last week’s opening of Oppenheimer over “a weekend where moviegoing reasserted itself as an unparalleled cultural and commercial force.” 

Universal’s Oppenheimer added another $16M from 78 international box office markets, again a less than 1% dip from the previous day. The offshore cume is $147.2M through Wednesday. Combined with domestic, the global total is $265.1M with the $300M benchmark expected to be achieved with Friday grosses.

the midweeks on Christopher Nolan’s epic Oppenheimer have been bigger than key comps. Certain markets are now in week 2, including France which always opens movies on a Wednesday, and are very strong. France’s second Wednesday was down just 24% in admissions versus last week’s debut, now with a cume of $10.3M which is 58% above Dunkirk and 30% above Interstellar at the same point. Yesterday’s hold was the best for a Nolan movie in the market on a sophomore Wednesday.

Elsewhere, the UK/Ireland added $2.9M on Wednesday with 28% share at No. 2 in the market for a cume to date of $22.2M, which is 3% above Dunkirk and over 2x Interstellar at the same point.

Germany added $1.4M at No. 2 on Wednesday (27% market share) for a running total of $10.3M, performing well ahead of Interstellar and more than double M:I7 at the same point, having already overtaken the lifetime of Dunkirk.

India on Wednesday added $760K for a running cume of $9.8M. This is Nolan’s biggest film ever in the market.

Australia added $700K on Wednesday at No. 2 (29% share) for a running total of $8.6M, which is 49% above Dunkirk and over 2x Interstellar at the same point.

Mexico put up another $600K at No. 2 on Wednesday (18% market share) for a running total of $6.8M having already overtaken the lifetimes of Tenet and Dunkirk. Performance to date is 16% above M:I7 and more than double Interstellar at the same point in release.

Spain added $1.1M at No. 2 on Wednesday (20% market share) for a running total of $6.3M, performing above The Dark Knight Rises (18%), double Interstellar and more than double Dunkirk and M:I7 at the same point.

Netherlands added $500K on Wednesday at No. 2 (27% share) for a cume to date of $4.1M, which is 97% above Dunkirk and 90% above The Dark Knight Rises at the same point.

Brazil took in a further $400K on Wednesday at No.2 in the market for a cume to date of $4.1M, having surpassed the lifetimes of DunkirkInterstellarTenetInception and Batman Begins.

Rounding out the Top 10, Saudi Arabia added $500K on Wednesday at No.1 with 44% market share for a cume to date of $6M.

• Like 4

South Korea

Presales for this one are extremely strong out of the gate. Still 17 days to go until it releases and it's already amassed 35k total presales at a staggering 18.7k KRW ATP, almost twice as high as the average movie. In terms of admissions I don't have any comps at T-17 but it has already surpassed GOTG3 at T-10, Tenet at T-12, Shang-Chi at T-5 and is level with Frozen 2 's T-13. In terms of gross it's way way ahead of all of those comps.

I wouldn't get carried away just yet as I think the presale pattern for Oppenheimer in most territories has been a very strong start as people rush to get the best PLF seats before a bit of a lull until the final week or so but I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

As for Universal’s Oppenheimer, it’s still on track, as we reported yesterday, to cross $300M worldwide today. On Thursday, the Cillian Murphy-starrer added $15.5M for an international cume of $164.7M and a global total of $292.6M.

Going into the second weekend, the Christopher Nolan opus has now grossed $24.8M in the UK, which surpasses the lifetime of Tenet and is 3% above Dunkirk and over 2x Interstellar at the same point.

France is at $13.3M, for 89% above Dunkirk and 58% above Interstellar at the same point.

Germany has a running total of $11.8M, performing just 11% off Dark Knight Rises and well ahead of Interstellar and MI:7 at the same point, having already overtaken the lifetime of Dunkirk.

India’scume to date is $10.4M, having already surpassed the lifetimes of all Nolan comps. 

Australia’s total to date is $9.3M, for 50% above Dunkirk and over 2x Interstellar so far.

Mexico has grossed$7.4M, surpassing the lifetimes of Interstellar and Tenet having already overtaken the lifetimes of Tenet and Dunkirk.

9 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

South Korea

Presales for this one are extremely strong out of the gate. Still 17 days to go until it releases and it's already amassed 35k total presales at a staggering 18.7k KRW ATP, almost twice as high as the average movie. In terms of admissions I don't have any comps at T-17 but it has already surpassed GOTG3 at T-10, Tenet at T-12, Shang-Chi at T-5 and is level with Frozen 2 's T-13. In terms of gross it's way way ahead of all of those comps.

I wouldn't get carried away just yet as I think the presale pattern for Oppenheimer in most territories has been a very strong start as people rush to get the best PLF seats before a bit of a lull until the final week or so but I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Like domestic they could open multiple weeks of presales for PLF to sustain demand. regular shows will sell close to release like it did for domestic. 

• Like 1

400m after this weekend (175m domestic and 225m overseas) 

540m after next weekend

630m august 11 weeekend ( last weekend in imax ) 

750m with all remaining markets ( there is still 15 august holidays that will boost weekdays in some european markets too )

if this breakout in china and korea, even 900m is possible.

Edited by rayjulio
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

China, Korea and India are Nolan markets. If India is bonkers, the other two should too. 

If China remotely breaks out It can get close to Interstellar OS number !!! That is a Space drama as opposed to historical drama here. But Oppenheimer editing makes it more of a thriller than Intersteller though that had more spectacular shots. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

If China remotely breaks out It can get close to Interstellar OS number !!! That is a Space drama as opposed to historical drama here. But Oppenheimer editing makes it more of a thriller than Intersteller though that had more spectacular shots. 

I mean Oppy biopic shouldnt be doing $1M in India. It's Nolan factor that is selling or matter.

• Like 2

Just now, across the Jat verse said:

$65-70M 2nd weekend for $215-220M by SUN I guess. WW shall be around $390-395M.

Great. Even if it tapers off after 2 weeks which is likely in OS markets, it should make ~350m in current markets. I am hoping for 50m Korea and 10m for Italy. So China needs 500m Yuan for Interstellar WW. Wont be easy considering recent China performances of all hollywood movies. I think 300m could happen with good WOM and it needs another week of better than normal hold to get current markets to 375m.  

19 minutes ago, zlazer said:

That was people's high end estimates for the WW Gross and this will be achieved on its Second Weekend, this is a blockbuster 

High end estimates were around $500m (Dunkirk), at least that's what I was predicting. I never understood people predicting under $400m after Tenet did $360m in the heart of the pandemic. Biopic or not, it's Nolan, it was always gonna make bank in the PLFs and overseas.

I definitely believed in this one beating Dunkirk. That was a subject unknown to non britishers. This is manhattan project plus the ensemble cast. I hope for 60 OW/200/550 run. But its crushing all expectations. Let us wait for 3rd weekend hold to see how good the domestic potential is. Overseas still has big markets Korea, China, Italy and may be Japan as well.