kayumanggi

OPPENHEIMER | 644.2M overseas | 974.1M worldwide

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

It increased quite a bit from already insane OS hold !!! Let us see how this weekend goes. Would Grand Turismo take away Imax in some markets? Otherwise I am not sure what is the ceiling on existing markets. Can it go as high as 500m !!!

It seems to be down to one IMAX showing at my nearest cinema here in North London

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

It is very very unexpected the least IMAX-worthy Nolan's film since the Prestige turns out to be his biggest IMAX grosser. I personally find Roma to be more IMAX-worthy than Oppenheimer as a drama. 

Oppenheimer's IMAX gross is simply beyond words. It is doing some crazy IMAX BO that even a $2bn movie like NWH, TFA or IW couldn't match despite overall grossing below $1bn. The IMAX reliance is on the next level.

With this level of insanity, I am not sure why isn't IMAX pushing for more 70mm locations. There could be even some resurgence of traditional 35mm/70mm film non-IMAX, which I believe could be a way for cinema to stay competitive against streaming. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

With this level of insanity, I am not sure why isn't IMAX pushing for more 70mm locations. There could be even some resurgence of traditional 35mm/70mm film non-IMAX, which I believe could be a way for cinema to stay competitive against streaming. 

There's not much of a point when like 5 wide releases a year are filmed in film.

3 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Jawan will be taking IMAX from it, unless GT does before that.

When is Jawan is releasing and will it have global impact. I doubt Bollywood movies open in all Imaxes in big markets. May be a show or 2. if you are talking about India that will happen for sure. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

When is Jawan is releasing and will it have global impact. I doubt Bollywood movies open in all Imaxes in big markets. May be a show or 2. if you are talking about India that will happen for sure. 

Sep 7. Mainly US for a week max. Middle East for 2 perhaps. Some in UK possibly.

On 8/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, across the Jat verse said:

Avatar 1 did ₹7cr  with ₹250 tickets in an IMAX screen. Ran for 9 months.

Well the first Avatar made $243m in IMAX from just 249 IMAX screens around the world when there wasn't even a $100m IMAX movie on the record book back in 2009, not even TDK hit $100m in IMAX. The sequel made $256m although IMAX screens has since jumped to 1543 screens. Clearly the more IMAX screens doesn't translate to bigger IMAX gross here because first Avatar pushed the market boundary too too far ahead of its time. Also doesn't help is that the diversification of PLF in the past decade. IMAX is no longer the sole PLF in the market, we have Dolby, Screen X, 4DX, Onyx, and countless local branded Big screen, surely those create some distraction o IMAX moviegoers. 

Also, who is telling you A2 made 24 cr in IMAX? What made that person a more trustworthy or accurate source than the website?  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 10:24 AM, titanic2187 said:

It is very very unexpected the least IMAX-worthy Nolan's film since the Prestige turns out to be his biggest IMAX grosser. I personally find Roma to be more IMAX-worthy than Oppenheimer as a drama. 

Oppenheimer's IMAX gross is simply beyond words. It is doing some crazy IMAX BO that even a $2bn movie like NWH, TFA or IW couldn't match despite overall grossing below $1bn. The IMAX reliance is on the next level.

I think there's also the fact that it just costs a lot for cinemas to upgrade and the level of demand still isn't quite up to pre-COVID numbers. Plus a lot of cinemas are probably still recovering from the financial hit from pandemic.

Deadline

With today’s business, Oppenheimer will hit yet another benchmark, crossing $600M at the global box office, just 23 days into release. Adding $7.7M on Wednesday from 78 overseas markets,  cume through yesterday is $350.7M. The worldwide total is $593.5M. 

The Cillian Murphy-starrer has been seeing solid midweek play and, through Wednesday, is led by the UK with $53.4M, in line with Dunkirk (+1%) and The Dark Knight Rises (-7%) at the same point, having already surpassed the lifetimes of Inception, Interstellar and Tenet in the market.

Germany has also advanced since Sunday, now at $31.5M through Wednesday when it surpassed the lifetime of The Dark Knight Rises to become the biggest Nolan film ever in the market. 

France has grossed $26.1M to date, running 20% above The Dark Knight Rises at the same point in time. Australia is at $19.1M through Wednesday, which is 16% above Inception, having already surpassed the lifetimes of Dunkirk, Interstellar and Tenet. And, India is now at $16.7M.

Other notable cumes include Mexico’s $15.4M, the 2nd biggest Nolan film in the market (having passed The Dark Knight this week); Spain’s $15M, Netherlands’ $12.7M; Brazil’s $10.2M, the 2nd biggest Nolan film ever, behind The Dark Knight Rises and performing 12% above that film at the same point; and Sweden with $6.5M, the 2nd biggest Nolan film in the market (behind The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

how far could Oppenheimer go? 

We wont know until what it does in China. Plus there is Italy where I am hoping for Spain or better number. I am also expecting it to open in Japan at some point. Its not a country to ban movies however controversial. 

Breaking down

Current Markets

450-500m?

Italy - 20m

Korea - 40m-70m

China - ?

Japan - ?

Vietnam/Greece/Bosnia - 10m total?

Its hard to hone in on final number as of today. I am hoping for 1B WW 🙂

• Like 2