kayumanggi

OPPENHEIMER | 630.6M overseas | 960.4M worldwide

So markets left are

Vietnam, korea, italy and Greece while China and Japan have no dates. Korea is the most promising and I hope Italy does as well as Spain. Vietnam and Greece are not that big but hope for $5 combined. Japan will bomb(pun intended) and China could go either way. But these markets could help get Oppeneheimer to 700m WW. 

On Oppenheimer, offshore markets raised their running cume to $98M, up from yesterday’s $93.7M estimate (again, see Sunday update below for more on initial reports on both films). 

The $98M overseas makes Oppenheimer the No. 2 opening weekend ever for a film directed by Christopher Nolan behind only The Dark Knight Rises ($131M) and ahead of The Dark Knight ($94.2M) in non-restated figures. At current exchange rates and excluding previews, the weekend result is narrowly below The Dark Knight Rises (-2%), achieves the 2nd biggest international opening for a Nolan film, more than double all other comps. It is also 49% above last week’s openings for Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One.

Meanwhile, at current exchange rates and including previews, the offshore cume of $98M through Sunday is in line with The Dark Knight Rises (-6%).

The Cillian Murphy-led biographical epic was No. 1 in 17 markets including India, Netherlands, UAE, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia and Denmark. In 42 markets (up from 36 in the estimates), this is Nolan’s best opening weekend ever. Across the Europe/Middle East/Africa region, Oppenheimer is the biggest debut for Nolan, topping The Dark Knight Rises

Notable markets that saw increases in the actuals include the UK with $14M for the second biggest opening for Nolan, behind The Dark Knight Rises, more than double Interstellar and Tenet and the 8th best Universal three-day weekend ever. 

India was up to $7.2M versus the $7M estimate; France scored $7M, up from the $6.4M estimate and landing the second-biggest start for a Nolan movie; Germany trued up to $6.6M (while Barbie was No. 1 for the frame, there was just a slight difference between the two with Oppenheimer on top Thursday and Saturday).

Other markets to see slight upwards shifts for Oppenheimer versus Sunday’s estimates include Saudi Arabia ($4M), Spain ($3.8M), UAE ($3M), Brazil ($2.7M); Netherlands ($2.6M), Hong Kong ($1.9M) and Belgium ($1.5M).

1 hour ago, across the Jat verse said:

I am not too sure about that. I think if Germans can watch WW2 films, why not Japanese? They love to watch other American military propaganda stuff fine enough.

Its not about Japs being shown badly(it does not go that deep about WWII beyond what you see in trailers). But there are aspects in the movie which I felt were chilling. Not sure how Japs will take that. I cannot discuss the details without spoilers. 

• Like 1

Europe 200m

Latam 25m 

Oceania 25m

Asia - East Asia 60m

310m

Italy 10m

Korea 40m

360m

Need 40m more from China + Japan + Vietnam + Greece to get 400m

Might be hard task but there is other scenario if Europe can legs better as this kind of movie can get up to 5x multiplier.

Best case scenario 350 dom + 450 os

800m 

Edited by rayjulio

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its not about Japs being shown badly(it does not go that deep about WWII beyond what you see in trailers). But there are aspects in the movie which I felt were chilling. Not sure how Japs will take that. I cannot discuss the details without spoilers. 

I was hopeful for Japan after how TENET did but seems like they are hit or miss for Nolan. Interstellar barely did $10M.

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Not sure how Japs will take that. I cannot discuss the details without spoilers. 

Nikkei seems to have liked the film &intended the request for immediate release in the country. Only Imperial Lineage &Nationalist calls for immediate call-off for any "planned" release. 

Talking about GA, Nolan's TENET reception might help but I don't think it's exactly a film that will work here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Hmm. Country breakup be interesting. I am at 95.

350 without big 3 in Asia doable 

25-50 Korea

0-100 China

5-25 Japan

380-525 INT

DOM looks like $300M possible unless it crash and burn to $250M.

$650M seems locked, $700M likely. 

Edited by across the Jat verse
  • Like 4

Shamelessly stole from @across the Jat verse

Edited by KeepItU25071906

Oppenheimer is continuing to fuse with audiences offshore as well. Mid-weeks through Tuesday account for 34% of opening weekend.

UK/Ireland added $2.7M on Tuesday with 28% market share for a cume to date of $19.3M, which is 8% above Dunkirk and over 2x Interstellar at the same point. Midweek gross is equal to a 39% share of the opening weekend – is in line with the same days’ share for Dunkirk, and above InterstellarThe Dark Knight Rises, and Mission: Impossible 7.

France added $1.4M on Tuesday with 20% market share (in admissions) for a cume to date of $9.4M, which is 56% above Dunkirk and 26% above Interstellar at the same point. The mid-week gross is equal to a 35% share of the opening weekend, which is above the same days’ share for DunkirkThe Dark Knight Rises and Mission: Impossible 7.

Germany added $1.1M on Tuesday (25% market share) for a running total of $8.8M, performing well ahead of Interstellar and more than double M:I7 at the same point, having already overtaken the lifetime of Dunkirk. The Monday-Tuesday total is equal to 32% of opening weekend, higher than for DunkirkInterstellar, and M:I7.

Australia added $800K on Tuesday for a running total of $7.9M, which is 48% above Dunkirk and over 2x Interstellar at the same point. Mid-week gross thus far is equal to a 24% share of opening weekend, in line with the same days of Dunkirk, just below Interstellar, and above The Dark Knight Rises and M:I7.

Mexico added $700K at No.2 on Tuesday for a running total of $6.2M. Having already overtaken Tenet, the film has now surpassed the lifetime of Dunkirk. Performance to-date is +14% above MI:7 and more than double Interstellar and Dunkirk at the same point in release.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 2