kayumanggi

OPPENHEIMER | 630.6M overseas | 960.4M worldwide

I am hoping this coming to $300m OS , matching tenet. Tenet had nearly $40m coming from Japan + Russia. Two markets that Oppy will likely won't have. This can be offset by the remaining markets easily since Tenet was released during Covid-19.

China is tricky as the country losing so much interest on hollywood movie, Oppy will need some miracle to hit that $66m in China. I feel like Oppy will have same situation like ATSV , that China being the only major market that have BO drop from its predecessor. 

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Avatar 2 opened to $33m in IMAX back in Dec, excluding China ($16,5m in NA and another $16,5m OS-Ch), can oppenheimer match this opening record?

dont know about china but its missing sokor now, so that's probably around 10% missing of its total potential for NA maybe @keysersoze123 can help ?

24 minutes ago, rayjulio said:

dont know about china but its missing sokor now, so that's probably around 10% missing of its total potential for NA maybe @keysersoze123 can help ?

I am afraid I have no inside info on Imax grosses :-) That said I consider it unlikely that Oppy beats A2. 

1) A2 was entirely Imax 3D and so that had a slight premium. So its not going to catch A2 imax gross even if it sells out all the imax shows. 

2) A2 opened in China the same weekend and did very well. China have more Imax screens than even domestic. So Oppy despite having amazing Imax sales in many countries wont hit A2 gross overseas as well. 

• Heart 1

i'm still in 250m range, whether this can recah 300m for me depend on performance in China and Korea

Europe 150

Latam 15

Asia - East Asia 35

Oceania 25

225m

Need 75m for 300m, i dont really think it will get that probably Korea 35m and China 15m

17 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

$70M+ OS weekend proly. 

Can easily hit $400M OS if KOR, China and Japan deliver.

Oppenheimer over/under Dunkirk (525M) Worldwide could be a nice comparison run. Needless to say, 400M OS for this type of movie would be insanely good.

• Like 1

After whole day in Malaysia, I can only say the initial WOM is very mixed, especially from GA, who likely not expecting a full blown historical drama for a movie that promote IMAX experience this much. The WOM among cinephile is very great though. 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

After whole day in Malaysia, I can only say the initial WOM is very mixed, especially from GA, who likely not expecting a full blown historical drama for a movie that promote IMAX experience this much. The WOM among cinephile is very great though. 

Are you talking specifically about Malaysia or WW based on your initial impressions?

Oppenheimer has begun overseas rollout with strong results versus some of the director’s previous titles. On Wednesday, the Universal film opened in 10 offshore markets, grossing $2.4M and led by France and Indonesia. These are early days as the critically-lauded Cillian Murphy-led biographical drama/political thriller will be playing a total 78 markets through Friday, across over 9,600 locations, 13,000 screens, and more than 320 IMAX screens.

In France, Oppenheimer debuted to $1.4M o Wednesday from 725 screens including 18 IMAX and two 70mm screens, as well as 11 Dolby Vision and six ultra-laser Kinepolis screens. The launch day is the biggest opening Wednesday for a Nolan film since The Dark Knight Rises. Excluding previews, the Wednesday admissions are above MI:7 (+23%), Dunkirk (+14%), Tenet (+28%) and Interstellar (+76%). Audience reactions are highly positive with mainstream audiences rating it 4.4/5 and cinephile audiences rating it 7.3/10, one of the top ratings for the market.

Indonesia bowed Wednesday with an estimated $451K to mark the biggest opening day ever for a Nolan film (38% ahead of The Dark Knight Rises). IMAX delivered the biggest opening day ever in the format and the biggest single day gross in IMAX, beating Avatar 2 (+11%). Oppenheimer is playing across 10 IMAX screens and a total of 495 screens in the market. Wednesday was a public holiday in Indonesia for Islamic New Year.

Belgium opened with $251K on Wednesday, the biggest start ever for a Nolan film in the market, beating The Dark Knight Rises (+13%), Inception (+23%) and The Dark Knight (+31%) as well as all other key comps.

Philippines launched with $125K on Wednesday, the top opening day ever for a non-superhero Nolan film. Oppenheimer played across nine IMAX screens and in a total of 198 screens.

Egypt had a terrific start at $74K on Wednesday with Oppenheimer delivering the 2nd biggest opening day for any studio movie since the pandemic hit, only behind Spider-Man: No Way Home. It also easily achieved the biggest Hollywood opening day of the year, more than double Fast X and the 7th biggest MPA opening day of all time in admissions, +18% above Avengers: Infinity War.

Switzerland (French-speaking) grossed $70K on opening Wednesday, more than double the launch days of Tenet and Batman Begins, above Dunkirk (+29%), Interstellar (+46%) and recent opener MI:7 (+8%).

The film also had a strong start in Iceland ($31K) for the top Nolan start outside the Batman series.

Among majors, today the film opens in Australia, Germany, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Brazil with the UK, Spain and India following on Friday.

In terms of presales, UK/Ireland is seeing strong uptake with PLFs repping a significant portion and sell-out shows across opening weekend; Germany’s IMAX presales are above Universal’s own Fast XJurassic World Dominion and Fast & Furious 9. In Saudi Arabia, presales are wild, currently tracking an estimated 32x greater than Fast X at the same point in time and setting a new record. 

https://deadline.com/2023/07/barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-christopher-nolan-cillian-murphy-margot-robbie-ryan-gosling-gloabl-international-box-office-1235443180/

That Saudi Arabia number seem nuts for sure. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

That Saudi Arabia number seem nuts for sure. 

Nearly every show was near sold out in a chain I check, other chain was bit empty. Its a Muslim holiday though. 

TENET set opening record but that was more like first big film to release after expansion. Fast X had meh opening IIRC.