kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

34 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Does that number for Margaret includes early access shows. If so, then Oof.

Margaret is about 3 decades too late to the theater. It's a generation defining book, but for the generation who grew up in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. A movie in 1990-1995 timeframe would have been one of the biggest of the year but Blume was naturally very protective of the property and vetoed movie remakes till now. It happens with adaptations sometimes when they are just way late to the party despite being the most prominent examples of their genre - like with John Carter.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

From 1,000 theatres I’d say yes. 

Definitely is. As Sisu had a budget of just over $6 Million, it may get close to that in the US alone this weekend nevermind any international business it does.

From the looks of it, we're looking at:

Big George Foreman - Major Underperform

Are You There God - Significant Underperform

Sisu - Overperform

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Margaret is about 3 decades too late to the theater. It's a generation defining book, but for the generation who grew up in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. A movie in 1990-1995 timeframe would have been one of the biggest of the year but Blume was naturally very protective of the property and vetoed movie remakes till now. It happens with adaptations sometimes when they are just way late to the party despite being the most prominent examples of their genre - like with John Carter.

Is it shameful to admit, as a late millennial, I didn’t even know this was based on a book?

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Oh wow, a 90s movie with, IDK, Natalie Portman or Anna Chlumsky as Margaret would've been amazing! I don't know if it ever would have been a blockbuster--it's still a grounded story about tween girls dealing with puberty--but coming of age movies cleaned up on VHS/cable 30 years ago.

I've seen a few sort of snide comments about Rachel McAdams being "relegated" to playing Margaret's mother. I wonder if that's just internet cattiness or if it really blunts the nostalgia angle with 30-40 something women somehow, like...they don't want to see Regina George or Allie from The Notebook in Supportive Mom Roles just yet.

Wasn't Sisu the Regal Mystery Movie? Not sure if the previews include the totals from last Monday.

1 hour ago, JayPrimetown said:

Definitely is. As Sisu had a budget of just over $6 Million, it may get close to that in the US alone this weekend nevermind any international business it does.

From the looks of it, we're looking at:

Big George Foreman - Major Underperform

Are You There God - Significant Underperform

Sisu - Overperform

Any prredictions for ROTJ release? Can't inagine it doing worse then foreman. Even with no previews.

Edited by screambaby

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$ 1,59 millones el jueves para Evil Dead Rise. Un golpe decente el viernes podría significar que evita caer más del 60%. 

$1,59M x 2 = $3,18M

$3,18M x 3,25 = $10,3M (-58%)

$3,18M x 3,5 = $11,1M (-55%)

$1,59M x 2.15 = $3,42M

$3,42M x 3,25 = $11,1M (-55%)

$3,42M x 3,5 = $12,0M (-51%)

1 hour ago, screambaby said:

Any prredictions for ROTJ release? Can't inagine it doing worse then foreman. Even with no previews.

The theaters I checked ROTJ is doing very well where it's being shown. Saw some showings (700 - 800 PM start time) that were well over half full and in good size theaters (150-200 capacity). It's problem is that it's not in as many theaters. 

Also eyeballing some different theaters can see Are You There God doing much better with walk ups and should easily top Big George Foreman and Sisu. 

My guess is that this weekend comes in at:

Are You There God

Return of the Jedi

Sisu

Big George Foreman

• Like 1

Just now, JayPrimetown said:

The theaters I checked ROTJ is doing very well where it's being shown. Saw some showings (700 - 800 PM start time) that were well over half full and in good size theaters (150-200 capacity). It's problem is that it's not in as many theaters. 

Also eyeballing some different theaters can see Are You There God doing much better with walk ups and should easily top Big George Foreman and Sisu. 

My guess is that this weekend comes in at:

Are You There God

Return of the Jedi

Sisu

Big George Foreman

Yeah it's only in like 500 theatres but in the ones I checked the 7:00 pm showings today were like 85-90% full, and even 10pm showings today were like 45-50% full

• Like 1