kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

I didn't realize ROTJ was a regular re-release, thought it was an IMAX special, and can confirm the sales locally are off the charts too. Probably leaving some money on the table with how sales blew up and lack of capacity. Tomorrow shows already catching overflow and like halfway full

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I've seen a few sort of snide comments about Rachel McAdams being "relegated" to playing Margaret's mother. I wonder if that's just internet cattiness or if it really blunts the nostalgia angle with 30-40 something women somehow, like...they don't want to see Regina George or Allie from The Notebook in Supportive Mom Roles just yet.

Internet cattiness for sure :lol:. Mean Girls and The Notebook both turn 20 year old movies in about a year or so.

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret looks delightful, but no one should be surprised it's looking at an uneventful box office gross. What was the last coming of age teen movie to make bank in theaters? Luckily, like the best of these kinds of movies, it's sure to enjoy a nice and long second life on the home market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Internet cattiness for sure :lol:. Mean Girls and The Notebook both turn 20 year old movies in about a year or so.

Right, McAdams is 44, there's nothing outrageous about her playing the mother of an 11 year old, and the movie's based on an esteemed classic. I think some longtime fans still wish Rachel's career had gone differently and felt there was still time for her to get the high profile she "deserves". But if she's doing secondary mom roles, maybe it's never going to happen for her that way.

Love it when random movies you've never heard of show up at your local theater. From the director of "Get the Gringo" and "Rambo: Last Blood"...

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Love it when random movies you've never heard of show up at your local theater. From the director of "Get the Gringo" and "Rambo: Last Blood"...

Big Laugh GIFs | Tenor

The makers of this year's The Meg 2 must be thrilled that no one will see this obvious knockoff of its hit predecessor. Ouch for Josh Lucas.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Right, McAdams is 44, there's nothing outrageous about her playing the mother of an 11 year old, and the movie's based on an esteemed classic. I think some longtime fans still wish Rachel's career had gone differently and felt there was still time for her to get the high profile she "deserves". But if she's doing secondary mom roles, maybe it's never going to happen for her that way.

I actually had a blast with Get The Gringo and this looks like a riot. SyFys campy monster romps haven't been as good of late. I might check this one out. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Big Laugh GIFs | Tenor

The makers of this year's The Meg 2 must be thrilled that no one will see this obvious knockoff of its hit predecessor. Ouch for Josh Lucas.

It feels like this missed its window in 2021 when there was still barely anything in theaters, if it wasn't just going straight to streaming.

I looked up what's next for Josh Lucas after this knockoff of The Meg. Another action movie in the can but also an Apple TV+ comedy with quite a cast...

MainEdit

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Honestly, in a just world, her performance here should get awards recognition.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only PLFs in the NY metro area with ROTJ are Prime and a couple RPXs. Sisu got every Dolby.

Aren't there usually contracts between studios and theater chains regarding films shown in IMAX and Dolby theaters? I'm guessing Lionsgate jumped early on this late April weekend before Disney became serious about nailing down a release date for an anniversary cash grab, er re-release of ROTJ. Given how full its showings are this weekend, I'm wondering if ROTJ could have contended for the #2 spot if it had more theaters. It certainly seems to be headed for the PTA crown this weekend.

Can we talk about how each film in the John Wick series has now officially outgrossed the last, both domestically and internationally? What an exceptional accomplishment - particularly the growth from the first film to the fourth.

John Wick Series - Box Office

Rank / Film / Gross (Domestic / International)

1. John Wick: Chapter 4 — 171.2 / 202.4 million (and still going)
  2. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum — 171.0 / 157.3 million
  3. John Wick: Chapter 2 — 92.0 / 82.3 million
  4. John Wick — 43.0 / 43.0 million

Other franchises with 3+ films that come to mind that grew with each instalment both domestically and internationally (though there are likely more I haven't identified - please feel free to share):

• The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003)
  • Captain America trilogy (2011-2016)
  • MCU Spider-Man trilogy (2017-2021)
  • Original X-Men trilogy (2000-2006) (taken as its own thing/separate from the prequel X-men films - I think this was an impressive feat back in the day)

The Toy Story series almost accomplished this feat, but Toy Story 4 made a smidgeon less internationally than the film before it. So close. The Thor series also was close to accomplishing this feat, but faltered internationally with Love & Thunder coming well below Ragnarok. Likewise, the original Jason Bourne trilogy accomplished the feat, but then faltered with the fourth Matt Damon helmed instalment. (It's worth noting that all of these series did accomplish it amongst the first three films, and not a lot of series do.) 

Obviously not all apples to apples comparisons, but fun to think about nonetheless.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 10

I expected A+ for Margaret. whatever. 

Mario I am thinking 8.5m. Take it a pinch of salt. if it goes as Kray as last week when someone in Quebec said it was flat from previous weekend !!! Not sure if that can be repeated again. If it does I could see it go as high as 8.8m. 

Either way I am thinking 34-37m this weekend. Prove me wrong again MARIO. 

• Like 6

I enjoyed Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret, but I can totally see how a movie like that might be struggling financially in today’s marketplace. It’s sweet, it’s got heart, but it is very “quaint” for today’s moviegoing audiences.

I can see it finding more of a life on cable/VOD/streaming.

• Like 3