kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the plus side for Mario, GotG3 isn’t looking to be very formidable at the box office, so that would only mean good things for Mario’s May. 

I think it's more on point to say that the plot direction they took GOTG3 means they aren't going to be pulling much of the family audience away from Mario...albeit they still will be pulling screens and showing amounts, so it will still hurt...just not as much...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, screambaby said:

One million for foreman is brutal

It had mediocre reviews and marketing was nonexistent, so it naturally found no audience. Sony is clearly dumping both this and Love Again next weekend as they get ready for a busy summer (Spider-Man, No Hard Feelings, Insidious, Gran Turismo).

• Like 2

Definitely a disappointing weekend at the box office. The Sisu number and Are You There God numbers are understated. I think they will end up higher than the Deadline article states.

This thread is so far ahead of the industry sources. Really good work again folks being ahead of the curve!!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Can we talk about how each film in the John Wick series has now officially outgrossed the last, both domestically and internationally? What an exceptional accomplishment - particularly the growth from the first film to the fourth.

John Wick Series - Box Office

Rank / Film / Gross (Domestic / International)

1. John Wick: Chapter 4 — 171.2 / 202.4 million (and still going)
  2. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum — 171.0 / 157.3 million
  3. John Wick: Chapter 2 — 92.0 / 82.3 million
  4. John Wick — 43.0 / 43.0 million

Other franchises with 3+ films that come to mind that grew with each instalment both domestically and internationally (though there are likely more I haven't identified - please feel free to share):

• The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003)
  • Captain America trilogy (2011-2016)
  • MCU Spider-Man trilogy (2017-2021)
  • Original X-Men trilogy (2000-2006) (taken as its own thing/separate from the prequel X-men films - I think this was an impressive feat back in the day)

The Toy Story series almost accomplished this feat, but Toy Story 4 made a smidgeon less internationally than the film before it. So close. The Thor series also was close to accomplishing this feat, but faltered internationally with Love & Thunder coming well below Ragnarok. Likewise, the original Jason Bourne trilogy accomplished the feat, but then faltered with the fourth Matt Damon helmed instalment. (It's worth noting that all of these series did accomplish it amongst the first three films, and not a lot of series do.) 

Obviously not all apples to apples comparisons, but fun to think about nonetheless.

Peace,

Mike

The first four Bond movies.

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It had mediocre reviews and marketing was nonexistent, so it naturally found no audience. Sony is clearly dumping both this and Love Again next weekend as they get ready for a busy summer (Spider-Man, No Hard Feelings, Insidious, Gran Turismo).

Even at a budget of  32 million this is gonna be a massive flop though

Edited by screambaby

Big question is mario and 600m domestic. I would rather take next weekend hold when it loses all the PLFs and then see what is needed to achieve that. I have a feeling it will be around for a long time and weekdays will start to get better late next month. But it needs crazy holds after next weekend to keep it in play. I wont rule it out as Top Gun Maverick did not look like 700m after say Thor opened. it grossed just 15.5m and was at 597.4m weekend. But it just kept chugging along for months and did like 9x that weekend !!! So I wont rule it out until the box office becomes too small to make a turn around.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Big question is mario and 600m domestic. I would rather take next weekend hold when it loses all the PLFs and then see what is needed to achieve that. I have a feeling it will be around for a long time and weekdays will start to get better late next month. But it needs crazy holds after next weekend to keep it in play. I wont rule it out as Top Gun Maverick did not look like 700m after say Thor opened. it grossed just 15.5m and was at 597.4m weekend. But it just kept chugging along for months and did like 9x that weekend !!! So I wont rule it out until the box office becomes too small to make a turn around.  

Wasn't summer after Thor super wide open? I think that's part of the reason even though the reception was extremely mixed that Thor managed 345M DOM. Whereas, with Mario, by the time summer days come around, we'll have Fast X (5/19), Little Mermaid (5/26), Spider-verse (6/2), Transformers (6/9) in back to back to back to back weekends. Then, Elemental (6/16) and Flash (6/16) not long after that.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Wow, $1B in 26 days. Before it came out, I would've been happy with $750m WW. Universal is crushing it with animation. Disney is seething. 

Expecting a big drop against GOTG3 next weekend, but hopefully not too harsh.

Edited by DTP
  • Like 3

@Eric Foreman @WrathOfHan April is practically over so I wanted to do this the week before summer officially starts:

16x:

Oppenheimer: Nope Dolby, The Black Phone, Nope Round 2 IMAX, Bullet Train Dolby, Jaws Round 2 IMAX, Avatar Round 4 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, The Pale Blue Eye, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Close, 2022 Live-Action Oscar Shorts, Moving On, Inside, How to Blow Up a Pipeline Round 2

14x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Missing, 2022 Animated Shorts, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, Suzume

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Selfiee, Creed III IMAX Round 2, 65, Return of the Jedi

11x:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Black Adam Dolby, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby Atmos Round 0, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Pathaan, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts

9x:

Fast X: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Cocaine Bear, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, A Thousand and One

The Little Mermaid: Avatar Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar Round 3 3D, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts, Return of the Jedi

8x:

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Scream VI Dolby, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, A Thousand and One, Suzume

7x:

Renfield: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, 65, Scream VI Dolby, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

Elemental: The Fabelmans, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, Suzume

6x:

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Elvis Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D

Evil Dead Rise: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, 65, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

Beau is Afraid: The Whale, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Close, Tori and Lokita

5x:

Air: Navalny, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Scream VI Dolby, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby

Chevalier: The Menu, The Inspection, Close, Navalny, A Thousand and One

Polite Society: Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Selfiee, Inside, A Thousand and One, Suzume

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Creed III IMAX, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby, Return of the Jedi

4x:

Mafia Mamma: Violent Night, Emily, Scream VI Dolby, Air

3x:

Showing Up: The Whale, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 4, Close
The Pope’s Exorcist: 65, Inside, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret: Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Moving On, The Lost King
The Flash: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby
Barbie: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby

2x:

The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Adhira: RRR, RRR Round 2
How to Blow Up a Pipeline: The Quiet Girl, Inside
The Blackening: Creed III IMAX Round 2, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby
Sisu: Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby
Big George Foreman: The Miraculous Story of the Once and Future Heavyweight Champion of the World: Navalny, Air
Sweetwater: Navalny, Air
Guy Richie’s The Covenant: Creed III IMAX Round 2, Air
Book Club: The Next Chapter: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby
Drylongso Restoration: Superman 35mm, 25th Hour 35mm
Monica: The Lost King, A Thousand and One
Asteroid City: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Dolby, A Thousand and One
About My Father: Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre, Somewhere in Queens

1x:

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear Dolby
MaXXXine: Pearl
The Tunnel of Summer, The Exit of Goodbyes: Skinamarink
R.M.N.: Skinamarink
Suzume: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Strays: Cocaine Bear
No Hard Feelings: Scream VI Dolby
The Machine: Moving On
It Ain’t Over: Moving On
Somewhere in Queens: Moving On
The Doom Generation 4K Restoration: The Bling Ring 35mm
Paint: The Lost King
Joyland: Dog Day Afternoon 35mm
Human Flowers of Flesh: Dog Day Afternoon 35mm
Other People’s Children: Tori and Lokita
Trolls: Band Together: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby
Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby
Fool’s Paradise: Somewhere in Queens
Blackberry: How to Blow Up a Pipeline Round 2
It Lives Inside: How to Blow Up a Pipeline Round 2
Sanctuary: How to Blow Up a Pipeline Round 2
Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken: Suzume
Knights of the Zodiac: Suzume

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

$180m is a lock.

If it can achieve JW3 legs over the next few weeks it could get close to $190m.

Depends how fast it loses theaters / screens to be honest plus digital / VOD date.

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Wasn't summer after Thor super wide open? I think that's part of the reason even though the reception was extremely mixed that Thor managed 345M DOM. Whereas, with Mario, by the time summer days come around, we'll have Fast X (5/19), Little Mermaid (5/26), Spider-verse (6/2), Transformers (6/9) in back to back to back to back weekends. Then, Elemental (6/16) and Flash (6/16) not long after that.

You are right but Mario can thrive without Imax/PLF. Only time will tell if it does or it runs out of shows too soon. 

• Like 1