kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

2 minutes ago, stripe said:

Huge! Some have already pointed these achievements, but it is great to see them together 

Over AMQ domestic total in just 10 days despite only opening 12M more

2nd best second weekend hold for an MCU film

9th best 2nd weekend drop for a 100M+ opener
Over MoM 2nd weekend gross

Also best drop ever for a sequel from MCU

Releasing Mario when it’s still making this much is absolutely asinine. It’s literally like the studios saying “we hate money” when you could just wait and make the same profit from home release later after you’ve ensured you didn’t cut into box office in any notable way. So stupid. 

• Like 2

Guys, the studios have done these early PVOD windows for two years now. It's been very apparent they don't effect legs. It's very clear the studios like doing it this way. It's very clear this isn't going to change anymore. This is our new normal. I know this might sound rude to say, but get over it.

• Like 12
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Releasing Mario when it’s still making this much is absolutely asinine. It’s literally like the studios saying “we hate money” when you could just wait and make the same profit from home release later after you’ve ensured you didn’t cut into box office in any notable way. So stupid. 

PVOD does NOT cut into box office in any notable way. It has been proven time and time again.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

PVOD does NOT cut into box office in any notable way. It has been proven time and time again.

Then every studio would do it with every big movie now if that were the case. The problem is, they’re giving Mario the post covid animated treatment, when it’s performed nothing like an animated movie post-covid. I don’t think it’s a major detriment to box office, but again there’s a reason you didn’t see this stuff happen with something like TGM. 

Edited by MovieMan89

43 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

Guys, the studios have done these early PVOD windows for two years now. It's been very apparent they don't effect legs. It's very clear the studios like doing it this way. It's very clear this isn't going to change anymore. This is our new normal. I know this might sound rude to say, but get over it.

Tom Hiddleston What GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then every studio would do it with every big movie now if that were the case. The problem is, they’re giving Mario the post covid animated treatment, when it’s performed nothing like an animated movie post-covid. I don’t think it’s a major detriment to box office, but again there’s a reason you didn’t see this stuff happen with something like TGM. 

You don't see stuff like that happen with TGM or Avatar because Tom Cruise and James Cameron are powerful af in the industry.

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You don't see stuff like that happen with TGM or Avatar because Tom Cruise and James Cameron are powerful af in the industry.

This. They had strict stipulations and the power to do that. They are the exception, not the rule. Again, people just gotta deal with early PVOD, even if they don't like it.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Weekday presales for Guardians in Canada are NUTS. This thing is about to have another strong set of weekdays. Canada also has a 4-day weekend which will help with the drop, even if only slightly.

Hold on to your butts, folks.

$400m here we come

• Astonished 1

47 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is true too. But look at the legs of those movies by being confined to theaters. You’d think studios would learn. Why leave box office money on the table, home release will always be there when you’re ready 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That is true too. But look at the legs of those movies by being confined to theaters. You’d think studios would learn. Why leave box office money on the table, home release will always be there when you’re ready 

Yeah, unlike Puss whose legs were terrible, unfortunately the PVOD release really ended that film.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Could be right.  We’re still to see a consistent pattern from Disney but it’s sort of beginning to form and way better than it used to be. 

Elemental is the biggest test for me as where they’re at right now in terms of their family audience coming out for a summer animated event movie.  

I think Elemental will be given a fairly decent window and likewise for Mermaid, I would go for September or October on Disney+ for both with PVOD sometime in August. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:
1 (1) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 Walt Disney $62,008,548 -48% 4,450 n/c $13,935 $214,709,726 2

Actual come out 600k lower. 

Close enough. Wonder which day was a little short? Either way, 62.0M second weekend is incredible coming off of a 118.4M OW for the 3 movie in a trilogy. Hopefully it continues to hold well.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I wonder what the streaming window will be for MI:DR. I bet it's gonna release on Paramount + sooner than TGM

Edited by Maggie