Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

I hope this is true because Zaslav is such a piece of shit all his failures just highlight the embarrassment he already is and if anything may drive the board at WB to fire his ass before he has a chance to sell WB which he will the first chance he gets and he probably is going to ultimately lose money in the end and have to sell it for cheaper then he purchased it.

All the films he said were going to do great have all been giant flops both critically and financially.

If they fire Zaslav that'd probably increase the chances of WBD being sold, not reduce them. Also none of the films can be put on him, yet, as he didn't shepherd them, he just inherited them.

1 minute ago, 21C said:

The thing is:
1. Gunn barely has any experience at doing that at the moment.
2. Gunn will barely have any time to do that.

Oh, I agree with all of that. Just looking at it as a thought experiment, really.

The truth is that it'll probably be another shit show - because it's WB.

That's providing any of this actually happens, given the company's dire financial situation - which The Flash bombing is not going to help.

10 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and don't understand what kids today are into, but I think this whole transmedia, "tie in movies with TV shows and video games and comics" stuff that James Gunn and Papa Feige are doing will never work out. They may try it, and others likely will, but it will never work out. The Matrix did this back in the 2000s, and it just made the sequels confusing and weird, even if I am a touch more favorable towards them than others. And after two or so years of the Marvel Disney+ shows, the popularity and discussion feels like it's been getting smaller and smaller with every single show as even a lot of Marvel die-hards don't seem to care all that much. And frankly, they have made this whole saga feel awkard and disjointed.

These are just all mediums that are way too different from one another to ever really click and connect IMO to create something wholly satisfying. Almost all the Marvel shows could have been turned into 2.5 hour movies and nothing would change. And honestly, I think that would only drive interest in movies and theatergoing down even harder. Why should I watch something that has elements from a TV show and video game I have no desire to see or play? That's way too insular and won't appeal to some casual GA member who just wants to have fun watching a movie.

Even if a movie is written where you don't have to know what happened in a random TV show, it's still going to feel a little awkard, like you missed what happened on last night's homework assignment. Like the trailer for The Marvels is only going to matter if you are excited to see a character from a movie most people thought was fine, a random supporting character who appeared in a TV show for like 5 minutes, and the main character of another TV show that nobody watched. I don't think there's a big audience sector for that.

Lmao you're pretending like people are not watching The Flash because they don't know who Supergirl is, and Supergirl is preventing them from watching The Flash. Supporting characters exist in every movie, and the MCU is no different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Isn't there a rumor that Warner Bros is relying on The Flash to give them enough cash to properly promote their new projects? Their 2024 only has The Joker as the one project with the potential to gross $200,000,000+    

If this is true it doesn't seem like The Flash is likely to make enough DOM or WW to allow them to do that.

I can't believe how unappealing the Captain America/Thunderbolts combo is for Marvel next year. TV directors making TV movies that you had to watch a whole TV show to understand. MCU is in pretty bad shape too, folks. But unlike DC at least they had their great years. Now they're in their Jordan on the Wizards phase.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Isn't there a rumor that Warner Bros is relying on The Flash to give them enough cash to properly promote their new projects? Their 2024 only has The Joker as the one project with the potential to gross $200,000,000+    

I think that's been floating around since last year with the idea being that they pushed back House Party to go all in on Black Adam (which didn't work). Really WB seems to be in a terrible spot, last year they released 6 movies and made 923mil Dom off them, so far this year they've released 5 movies and made 164mil, and given how Flash is looking it'll maybe end up around 140-150dom? If Boogeyman keeps holding well and Flash comes in a bit lower there's a good chance 20th Century stays ahead of WB's first half of the year off nothing more than Avatar 2 residuals and Boogeyman

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Oh, I agree with all of that. Just looking at it as a thought experiment, really.

The truth is that it'll probably be another shit show - because it's WB.

That's providing any of this actually happens, given the company's dire financial situation - which The Flash bombing is not going to help.

Another reason I think Muschietti will get fired. WBD probably doesn't have enough cash in hand to finance Brave and the Bold by themselves, and no investment company is gonna put up 200 million on a Muschietti Batman movie after this. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and don't understand what kids today are into, but I think this whole transmedia, "tie in movies with TV shows and video games and comics" stuff that James Gunn and Papa Feige are doing will never work out. They may try it, and others likely will, but it will never work out. The Matrix did this back in the 2000s, and it just made the sequels confusing and weird, even if I am a touch more favorable towards them than others. And after two or so years of the Marvel Disney+ shows, the popularity and discussion feels like it's been getting smaller and smaller with every single show as even a lot of Marvel die-hards don't seem to care all that much. And frankly, they have made this whole saga feel awkard and disjointed.

These are just all mediums that are way too different from one another to ever really click and connect IMO to create something wholly satisfying. Almost all the Marvel shows could have been turned into 2.5 hour movies and nothing would change. And honestly, I think that would only drive interest in movies and theatergoing down even harder. Why should I watch something that has elements from a TV show and video game I have no desire to see or play? That's way too insular and won't appeal to some casual GA member who just wants to have fun watching a movie.

Even if a movie is written where you don't have to know what happened in a random TV show, it's still going to feel a little awkard, like you missed what happened on last night's homework assignment. Like the trailer for The Marvels is only going to matter if you are excited to see a character from a movie most people thought was fine, a random supporting character who appeared in a TV show for like 5 minutes, and the main character of another TV show that nobody watched. I don't think there's a big audience sector for that.

It is already working when it comes to films and streaming. Just look at the wild reactions when Matt Murdock showed up on Spider-Man: No Way Home. Transmedia approach to world building is here to stay, and I’m very confident that a film featuring the Mandalorian will blow up in this decade. 

high quality GIF

With that said, transmedia when it comes to videogames it’s still a long way to go. We don’t have the tech to pull off something like that as fast as it would be feasible.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 21C said:

Anyone else joining me on the "Andy Muschietti will eventually drop out of Brave and the Bold due to creative differences" club after this The Flash reception and numbers? 

50/50 on that one, but leaning towards yes because of how overreactionary WB is to audience reception.

Edited by AfterHours

5 minutes ago, 21C said:

If they fire Zaslav that'd probably increase the chances of WBD being sold, not reduce them. Also none of the films can be put on him, yet, as he didn't shepherd them, he just inherited them.

What is wrong with this board when it comes to finance anyway?  Zaslav made Max profitable. The stock is way up on the year. He's cut costs. He's done everything the shareholders have asked for. 

People think he's getting fired because The Flash (a movie he has nothing to do with) underperforms?   Please stop these types of posts. It's ridiculous.  

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 3

Just now, AfterHours said:

50/50 on that one, but leaning towards yes because of how overreactionary WB is to audience reception.

I don't think this could even be called "overreactionary", these numbers are absolutely terrible, and it just doesn't have the audience reception or critic reception to back him up. It's kinda just common sense at this point. 

8 minutes ago, 21C said:

They absolutely can be put on him, he's responsible for all the decisions being made at WB. He's responsible for the marketing campaign of all these films. The failures he has right now at WB all over are HIS responsibility. 

The entirety of his MAX campaign has been an absolute flop. The Idol which is a show HE greenlit is a financial and critical failure in every aspect. All his hype shows have been delayed indefinitely because of the Writers Strike which he continues to disrespect DAILY with the vitriol coming from his mouth.

He's a failure in every way shape and form.

Zaslav made Max profitable.

You know you could be a Zassy sheep without being a liar bro. 

Edited by Cappoedameron

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It is already working when it comes to films and streaming. Just look at the wild reactions when Matt Murdock showed up on Spider-Man: No Way Home. Transmedia approach to world building is here to stay, and I’m very confident that a film featuring the Mandalorian will blow up in this decade. 

high quality GIF

With that said, transmedia when it comes to videogames it’s still a long way to go. We don’t have the tech to pull off something like that as fast as it would be feasible.

What the heck is Transmedia? My default assumption is Transformative Media but all that brings to mind is people using interprative dance to act out how things are going.

I can't believe there are two consecutive Marvel movies next year banking on Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Who knows, maybe it'll work and finally get me to finish that show.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The studio ironically better positioned to try and pull something like that off is, ironically, Sony Pictures. I’m not giving Sony Pictures any bad ideas, but one thing I could see it working with the trans media is getting something like their Marvel’s Spider-Man gaming franchise and just make a film about it. The issue with something like this is that it’s probably not even worth it. Better to allocate the funds in gaming and just keep doing what it’s actually working for them. 

Anyway,  we're going to see The Flash soon.  Not one of my more anticipated movies so we're just doing an early showing.  Hopefully it's a fun movie.  

Going by the previews number I'd say it's destined to fall within the $61-$65M range.  

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I can't believe how unappealing the Captain America/Thunderbolts combo is for Marvel next year. TV directors making TV movies that you had to watch a whole TV show to understand. MCU is in pretty bad shape too, folks. But unlike DC at least they had their great years. Now they're in their Jordan on the Wizards phase.

Uh...no?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Well then Disney needs to smarten up because I thought Elemental looked very meh in the trailers and Spiderverse was absolutely breathtaking in many scenes.  

The money Disney/Pixar spent... they could have just flushed it down the drain. 

Elemental have a problem of design, but the render of the whole things looks absolutely breathtaking (and is the one thing even bad reviews are praising) 

Totally different style tho, hard to compare. Spidey looks fresh in a way none mainstream animated movie looked for many years.

• Like 1