Asteroid City (2023)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Asteroid City marks perhaps Wes Anderson’s densest and most thematically ambitious film to date, and it proves both intellectually satisfying and as delightful as one would expect from Anderson. By setting the main storyline as a play within the film’s universe and frequently acknowledging it as such, Anderson leans heavily on the fourth wall (and breaks it on numerous occasions). In the process, he crafts a film whose main storyline is plenty enjoyable in its own right, then enhances it with explorations of meaning, purpose, and existentialism during the breaks into the film’s real world. The film’s structure makes for a heady undertaking, but the way Anderson pays it off in the third act makes for a powerful reflection on how in art and life, we are constantly trying to understand the seemingly incomprehensible. And of course, it’s all executed in Anderson’s customary stylistic flair, complete with creative production and costume design, meticulously crafted mise-en-scene, well-pitched humor, and a cast loaded with performers at or near the top of their comedic game. Visually and thematically, there is so much to unpack in Asteroid City that it practically demands multiple viewings, and I look forward to revisiting it to further explore the many delights Wes Anderson puts onscreen.

A-

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

This is very much a Wes Anderson movie but I found the overall vibe to this one to be more enjoyable than his past few efforts. Oscar-worthy production values for sure, and I of course dug seeing all these stars even if most of them barely have anything to do (and some of them showing up for basically cameos). It's not entirely successful (the framing device of a filming of a TV broadcast of a play creates for some uneven editing choices at times) and won't win over any of the director's detractors, but it's a fun time that stands out amidst all these expensive tentpoles at the multiplex this summer. B

This left me in such a pensive mood that I really can’t write a full review right now, so here’s a few thoughts:

1. As long as I’m alive, I’m watching every new Wes Anderson movie with a crowd at an indie theater. What a blast! Everyone was so into it, and it makes it that much more joyful. Also, shoutout to the Main Theater in Minneapolis for showing a few local, Wes-inspired short films right before the movie. So special.

2. I’ve been knowing that any Wes Anderson production will have some of the best sets and production design in the game, but here he goes further. Those 360 shots and sudden 90 turns reveal such confidence in his direction, so good.

3. Hanks and Johansson slay, and bring us the heart of this movie. Every other actor does great, and you’ll know most of them, but those 2 shined the brightest for me.

4. I know multiple viewings will reveal much more, and that I’ve barely scratched the surface, but it’s hard to explain just how profoundly this touched me. It’s all summed up in two lines:

“I still don’t know what this play is about.

That doesn’t matter. Just keep on telling the story”

We all know how much has happened these last few years, and increasingly it’s harder and hard to make sense of it. And Wes is here to tell us that that is okay.

8/10