kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Leo's first movie after his Oscar win was Once Upon a Time and he only got paid $10m plus box office points. Same as Brad Pitt. It truly makes no sense that Jennifer would get $25m for NHF. I read the article that was linked and that was her fee when streamers were bidding on it. I doubt she got that much for a theatrical release. Again, LEO does not make that much for a theatrical release.

You people are too focused on discussing a woman's paycheck. I didn't see this when Babylon tanked about Brad Pitt or when we found out A Man Called Otto, a movie with 3 fucking sets, cost 50M to make (and clearly 20M are the Tom Hanks fee).

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

Leo's first movie after his Oscar win was Once Upon a Time and he only got paid $10m plus box office points. Same as Brad Pitt. It truly makes no sense that Jennifer would get $25m for NHF. I read the article that was linked and that was her fee when streamers were bidding on it. I doubt she got that much for a theatrical release. Again, LEO does not make that much for a theatrical release.

But then why the fuck else did NHF cost $45m? Like Ticket To Paradise cost $60m bc Clooney and Roberts each got $15m or so each. And then it was shot in an exotic location. No Hard Feelings was not. This should have cost like $30m if JLaw only took $10m

I'm a big JLaw fan btw, I'm not coming after her. But there's no other explanation for why this cost that much money. She took a big ass paycheck for this. 

Edited by Pinacolada

3 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

But then why the fuck else did NHF cost $45m? Like Ticket To Paradise cost $60m bc Clooney and Roberts each got $15m or so each. And then it was shot in an exotic location. No Hard Feelings was not. This should have cost like $30m if JLaw only took $10m

25M for JLaw, 1-2M for Stupnitsky (incredible negotiation), then 18-20M for production itself (and I'm sure Matthew Broderick probably got a decent paycheck). 45M doesn't sound unrealistic even by 2023 standards.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

25M for JLaw, 1-2M for Stupnitsky (incredible negotiation), then 18-20M for production itself (and I'm sure Matthew Broderick probably got a decent paycheck). 45M doesn't sound unrealistic even by 2023 standards.

Ok, then we agree that JLaw got something like $25m for it lol. That's been the point of contention here for the last few pages. What I was literally responding to was someone saying "it makes no sense that JLaw would have gotten $25m for this"

What I'm trying to say is that I wish she would've taken a lower salary, like $10m, and gotten a bigger backend deal or something. Bet on yourself a little bit and help the movie out (at the same time, I fully understand why she'd want the big money and run. I just think it's a bit of a bummer). This thing is never seeing a theatrical profit in theaters. I'm hoping it can leg to like $60m DOM. But It's not getting the international box office that something like Ticket to Paradise got. I was looking at the budget for something like Neighbors and that cost $18m! And Made $270m. And that had 2 stars and a plethora of established names who probably got decent salaries. NHF has 1.

As someone else said in here earlier, why should we care at what Dollar mark a studio breakevens at, we're mostly comparing to current expectations for these kinda movies. I agree with that. But for more of these kinds of movies to get greenlit, they do need to make money for these ghouls. 

Edited by Pinacolada

59 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

Maybe Sony is spending like crazy. I was baffled by A Man Called Otto's budget at $50 million. Covid protocols? Did they sit around Pittsburgh waiting for it to snow? Too much dog CGI? (The Swedish version cost $300,000). But if Sony is handing out $25 million checks for a theatrical raunch com in the 2020s, then Tom Hanks may have gotten that kind of money for an adaptation of a famous story.

But I also read the article to mean that $25 million was her price for No Hard Feelings at some point, when the streaming services were still in the running. That was her reported payday for Don't Look Up, from Netflix (Leo got $30 million). All the streamers passed. Based on everything reported in recent years,  traditional studios have tightened the purse strings for original films and usually get outbid by streamers. Either Sony was feeling very optimistic about movie attendance in 2021 when they made the deal, or the pay structure changed once it became a theatrical exclusive.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

If Superman Legacy flops what do you think will happen to DC?

Warner not sell DC, but studio will lease popular heroes to other companies to make money, something new DC tv shows, animations, and movies will without Warner/DC Studios logo.

Edited by noobmaster69

57 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You people are too focused on discussing a woman's paycheck. I didn't see this when Babylon tanked about Brad Pitt or when we found out A Man Called Otto, a movie with 3 fucking sets, cost 50M to make (and clearly 20M are the Tom Hanks fee).

Brad Pitt's drawing power has always been somewhat questionable but Tom Hanks has bought himself a first-class ticket to 20M land forever and always. 

57 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Thank GIF

Not just JLaw. It’s like every weekend there is another talk about x big actress doesn’t deserve to get as much money as they are making. It’s becoming an embarrassing recurring pattern.

• Like 1

The most egregious thing about JLaw is not her paycheck but her Oscar win. Try rewatching Silver Linings Playbook. I dare you to get though the whole thing. What a false, phony movie. It's not her fault but David O Russell's. She's just fine though, not even nomination worthy. That Harvey sure had a lot of tricks up his sleeve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Ok, then we agree that JLaw got something like $25m for it lol. That's been the point of contention here for the last few pages. What I was literally responding to was someone saying "it makes no sense that JLaw would have gotten $25m for this"

What I'm trying to say is that I wish she would've taken a lower salary, like $10m, and gotten a bigger backend deal or something. Bet on yourself a little bit and help the movie out (at the same time, I fully understand why she'd want the big money and run. I just think it's a bit of a bummer). This thing is never seeing a theatrical profit in theaters. I'm hoping it can leg to like $60m DOM. But It's not getting the international box office that something like Ticket to Paradise got. I was looking at the budget for something like Neighbors and that cost $18m! And Made $270m. And that had 2 stars and a plethora of established names who probably got decent salaries. NHF has 1.

As someone else said in here earlier, why should we care at what Dollar mark a studio breakevens at, we're mostly comparing to current expectations for these kinda movies. I agree with that. But for more of these kinds of movies to get greenlit, they do need to make money for these ghouls. 

She did bet on herself and got paid up front. Good for her.

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

The most egregious thing about JLaw is not her paycheck but her Oscar win. Try rewatching Silver Linings Playbook. I dare you to get though the whole thing. What a false, phony movie. It's not her fault but David O Russell's. She's just fine though, not even nomination worthy. That Harvey sure had a lot of tricks up his sleeve. 

Silver Linings Playbook is great and O. Russell is one of the great American Auteurs

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, MotionPictured said:

There's more to it than that. Not only are most of Quentin's movies insanely profitable, but a lot of actors would take a pay cut to work with him. No one is taking an upfront pay cut to work with Gene Stupnitksy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasonlawrence said:

Those are not even near the best superhero films of all time.

TDK trilogy, The Batman and Logan is way better movies than those. 

TDK the movie does the heavy lifting for the trilogy tbh, it’s a certified classic 

BB tho is not so radically better than many other origins SH movies 

And TDKR is arguably one of the worst scripts of Nolan career, but well executed enough to masquerade that 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

TDK the movie does the heavy lifting for the trilogy tbh, it’s a certified classic 

BB tho is not so radically better than many other origins SH movies 

And TDKR is arguably one of the worst scripts of Nolan career, but well executed enough to masquerade that 

TDKR is one of the best scripts of Nolan's career imo. He just didn't shoot all of it. Which sucks so much.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Silver Linings Playbook is great and O. Russell is one of the great American Auteurs

O. Russel is definitely very good in follow the rules of classic structures, the types who get you an Oscar 

He’s not an auteur tho, there’s absolutely nothing of notable personality in his work, he’s good in copying auteurs and have decent technical control doing it 

The issue isn't so much J Law's pay, it's more "why pay her so much for what should be a low budget comedy".

Seeing her get a paycheck that big for say, a succesful action movie doesn't seem that inflated.

It's just that this isn't really the type of project that benefits from a star paycheck so big it eclipses the value of the low budget.

About JLaw, anyone who’s able to convince executes they’re worthy of 25M deserves the money, good for her 

And tbh, if the same movie was made with a not very known actress, it’ll made half of what is doing, so JLaw is a big drain 

I think the main problem is not the cast appeal, is more about how these movies feels like it belongs to streaming or PVOD these days, i’m pretty sure it will do very well there