kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He’s not an auteur tho, there’s absolutely nothing of notable personality in his work, he’s good in copying auteurs and have decent technical control doing it 

He's definitely an auteur. There's a visual through-line from at the very least The Fighter to Amsterdam. More importantly there's a thematic through-line. One of identity and familial bonds.

31 minutes ago, Dephira said:

There's more to it than that. Not only are most of Quentin's movies insanely profitable, but a lot of actors would take a pay cut to work with him. No one is taking an upfront pay cut to work with Gene Stupnitksy

LOL fair. Still, given how much the landscape has changed since Covid, it seems hard to believe a traditional studio would pay Lawrence more upfront for No Hard Feelings, than she got for Passengers or Red Sparrow. So many actors have said it's bad out there for mid-budget movies and it's known that the streaming services have been poaching original films and offering bigger paydays (to stars, at least). Comedy was dying at the box office even pre-Covid and since... This JLaw salary info seems to fly in the face of a lot of what's been reported/said about Hollywood in recent years, it's going to cause a reaction.

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

LOL fair. Still, given how much the landscape has changed since Covid, it seems hard to believe a traditional studio would pay Lawrence more upfront for No Hard Feelings, than she got for Passengers or Red Sparrow. So many actors have said it's bad out there for mid-budget movies and it's known that the streaming services have been poaching original films and offering bigger paydays (to stars, at least). Comedy was dying at the box office even pre-Covid and since... This JLaw salary info seems to fly in the face of a lot of what's been reported/said about Hollywood in recent years, it's going to cause a reaction.

Sony overpays, that's how they get their actors. They wayyyy overpaid Adam Driver for 65. 

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Brad Pitt's drawing power has always been somewhat questionable but Tom Hanks has bought himself a first-class ticket to 20M land forever and always. 

Even on big studio affair, like the last Langdon movie he took half of that, he very often take under $20m endeavour.

Movie tend to have above the line cost that get split the more name you have on a project, comparing Pitt-Tarantino-Leo pay day on a movie to a movie with a single name can look strange, but no DiCaprio did not get only $10m for certain he got at the minimum $10M +10% first dollar gross (which can be better than $20M + profit share), if they all get their usual quote you can have nothing left.

57 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Try rewatching Silver Linings Playbook. I dare you to get though the whole thing. What a false, phony movie.

That movie had a 132 dbo run all on word of mouth and legs (it made like 13x its biggest weekend), don't be ridiculous.

For all that conversation we have no idea what the above the line looked like on something like No hard feelings, pure speculation from completely different package deal to streamers (that was refused).

37 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He’s not an auteur tho, there’s absolutely nothing of notable personality in his work, he’s good in copying auteurs and have decent technical control doing it 

Seem to me to have a O Russel dialogue and dynamic to them, I know someone that recognized by the middle of watching Hustle that it was the Playbook director guy.

It is hard to watch Flirting with Disaster-I hurt huckabees-Accidental Love and not see a similar voice in there or the Fighter-SLP-Hustle-Joy output.

If you often copy auteurs in a certain way (say like Tarantino do), that become a style and signature, any way and regardless of how your voice is powerful enough that people can see you were involved in a movie despite all the collaborative machinery make you an author, it is a really "neutral" term outside of that, Micheal Bay is one of the strongest auteur voice in the history of the medium.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

You people are too focused on discussing a woman's paycheck. I didn't see this when Babylon tanked about Brad Pitt or when we found out A Man Called Otto, a movie with 3 fucking sets, cost 50M to make (and clearly 20M are the Tom Hanks fee).

Some day soon, people will realize actors are no longer draws on their own, rather their pull greatly depends who they play. Poster child for this right now is Joaquin Phoenix. 99% of his roles nobody cares about, but he was an extremely exciting choice for Joker and it paid off huge.

Same goes for Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, etc. Had Jennifer Lawrence been cast as Catwoman in The Batman for example, would have aided the films buzz greatly and no doubt justified her huge paycheck. But is she worth $20m in a random R comedy? No, and IDK if there if is a performer earth who is at the moment. 

45 minutes ago, Dephira said:

There's more to it than that. Not only are most of Quentin's movies insanely profitable, but a lot of actors would take a pay cut to work with him. No one is taking an upfront pay cut to work with Gene Stupnitksy

Gene was a long time friend of hers (she said this on the press circuit). She said that he literally introduced her to her husband. And she is producing the movie as well. I can buy that she took a pay cut for a cut of the box office. And maybe some of the scenes in the movies were expensive. Like the beginning car scene when it is stuck on the tow truck. Or maybe filming in Montauk was expensive.

I mean the cast for Amsterdam all agreed to work for scale but the budget of the movie still ballooned to $80m because they filmed it in LA which was really expensive. The movie was originally supposed to be shot in Boston but couldn't be because of co-vid protocols.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Even on big studio affair, like the last Langdon movie he took half of that, he very often take under $20m endeavour.

Movie tend to have above the line cost that get split the more name you have on a project, comparing Pitt-Tarantino-Leo pay day on a movie to a movie with a single name can look strange, but no DiCaprio did not get only $10m for certain he got at the minimum $10M +10% first dollar gross (which can be better than $20M + profit share), if they all get their usual quote you can have nothing left.

That movie had a 132 dbo run all on word of mouth and legs (it made like 13x its biggest weekend), don't be ridiculous.

For all that conversation we have no idea what the above the line looked like on something like No hard feelings, pure speculation from completely different package deal to streamers (that was refused).

Seem to me to have a O Russel dialogue and dynamic to them, I know someone that recognized by the middle of watching Hustle that it was the Playbook director guy.

If you often copy auteurs in a certain way (say like Tarantino do), that become a style and signature, any way and regardless of how your voice is powerful enough that people can see you were involved in a movie despite all the collaborative machinery make you an author, it is a really "neutral" term outside of that, Micheal Bay is one of the strongest auteur voice in the history of the medium.

I don’t really agreed with O Russel but yeah Michael Bay is for sure an auteur 

He have great moments as well, Transformers 3 for all of it’s problems it’s also one of the best examples of maximalist cinema Hollywood did in the past decade. 

It’s a shame TF4 and TF5 seems like cash grabs, he did a respectful work with 1 and 3

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

TDK the movie does the heavy lifting for the trilogy tbh, it’s a certified classic 

TDK is iconic for sure, but Batman Begins is also an absolutely stellar film.  

BB tho is not so radically better than many other origins SH movies 

I assume you are referring to origin SH films that came after it?

And frankly, no - Batman Begins is the best origin film of any superhero I can think of. It is basically perfect aside from horrific camerawork during the fight scenes. Themes, tone, pacing, screenplay, acting, production values, it is so good and at nearing 20, it has aged flawlessly. Looks, sounds, and feels like it came out yesterday. 

And TDKR is arguably one of the worst scripts of Nolan career, but well executed enough to masquerade that 

TDKR should have been broken up into part 1 and part 2, with part 1 ending just after Bane breaks Batman's back. The film itself as is is excellent, but story could have been fleshed out bit more to really hit a grand slam. There is A LOT in that film. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

$20m in a random R comedy? No, and IDK if there if is a performer earth who is at the moment. 

Kevin Hart maybe.

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Some day soon, people will realize actors are no longer draws on their own, rather their pull greatly depends who they play

Not sure if has ever been that different, actor build a capacity to draw by signalling something to audience, this a Neeson action movie, this is a Diaz RomCom, this is a Kevin Hart comedy which mean X,Y,Z, from John Wayne to Arnold going to Jim Carey, the vehicle matter a lot, we are excited for Cruise doing Cruise movies, not being in some The Mummy universe.

Able to signal this is a movie to see in theater because everyone involved are at the top and the budget will be giant a la DiCaprio has always been quite rare and not really a new thing.

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

And frankly, no - Batman Begins is the best origin film of any superhero I can think of. It is basically perfect aside from horrific camerawork during the fight scenes. Themes, tone, pacing, screenplay, acting, production values, it is so good and at nearing 20, it has aged flawlessly. Looks, sounds, and feels like it came out yesterday. 

TDKR should have been broken up into part 1 and part 2, with part 1 ending just after Bane breaks Batman's back. The film itself as is is excellent, but story could have been fleshed out bit more to really hit a grand slam. There is A LOT in that film. 

I would put my head on a block and say Iron Man is the best MCU movie by far and its right up there with Batman Begins and The Batman as best origin comicbook movie 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t really agreed with O Russel but yeah Michael Bay is for sure an auteur 

If you saw at the end of say Amsterdam trailer without knowing before that it was from Russel, you would have been surprised ?

Just the fact he did every movie with the same editor since SLP, write them and get to have such creative control that it start to become impossible to not have some feel to them.

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

The most egregious thing about JLaw is not her paycheck but her Oscar win. Try rewatching Silver Linings Playbook. I dare you to get though the whole thing. What a false, phony movie. It's not her fault but David O Russell's. She's just fine though, not even nomination worthy. That Harvey sure had a lot of tricks up his sleeve. 

One of the worst Best Actress wins I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 4

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Kevin Hart maybe.

Not sure if has ever been that different, actor build a capacity to draw by signalling something to audience, this a Neeson action movie, this is a Diaz RomCom, this is a Kevin Hart comedy which mean X,Y,Z, from John Wayne to Arnold going to Jim Carey, the vehicle matter a lot, we are excited for Cruise doing Cruise movies, not being in some The Mummy universe.

Able to signal this is a movie to see in theater because everyone involved are at the top and the budget will be giant a la DiCaprio has always been quite rare and not really a new thing.

Eh. In their primes, look at the variety of film types that Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks turned into hits. Pretty remarkable. 

14 minutes ago, jasonlawrence said:

I would put my head on a block and say Iron Man is the best MCU movie by far and its right up there with Batman Begins and The Batman as best origin comicbook movie 

Love Iron Man. It isn't on Batman Begins at all minus the obvious plot points it rips off with the mentor turned villain, friend-turned-romantic interest, 'billionaire lives with terrorists and finds purpose'. Iron Man doesn't any singular moments as effective on the drama fronts of as any Bruce-Alfred scene or young/college Bruce in BB. Bale plays the role a speck too cold, one can see how a Hartnett or Ledger may have been a bit warmer and more likable,  but it still works well. 

32 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I do like BB, but to me, Spidey from Raimi, X Men First Class, Guardians 1, even The Batman, they’re all at the same level 

It’s definitely one of the bests, but i don’t think is the best and by far. 

Agreed on TDKR, it feels like an epic compressed. It feels rushed and that makes a lot of creative decisions to looks stupid or under developed. I didn’t know it was supposed to be longer, maybe that’s why. But as it is, it’s a solid movie. 

Still think the major highlight from the Nolan trilogy is TDK and the reason the trilogy itself is so respected, to me is the only one that really is well above the competition by far, this definitely makes an inpact. I can’t think of a better SH movie other than The Incredibles. 

Edited by ThomasNicole

4 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

One of the worst Best Actress wins I’ve ever seen. 

JLaw was super charismatic in that film. Factor in X-Men, Winters Bone and Hunger Games explosion? Media was eager to turn into the next young star. 

• Like 1