Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

53 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Watching the first Mission: Impossible movie to catch up before Dead Reckoning, and it was a terrific use of repurposing an expired IP with name value but a new feel and cast. It'd be like if they made a big budget X-Files movie that is totally detached from the TV show and stars like Bradley Cooper and Emily Blunt. If they get desperate for IP maybe they try this.

Speaking of The X Files I always thought it was interesting that the movie was basically an episode of the TV show made on a movie budget that came out  while the show was still running and it was a solid hit. Im surprised more popular tv or streaming shows haven’t done that. Or at least do something like make the series finale a movie 

45 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree with you.  There was a large unhappiness with the quality of the "live action" Lion King that will leave most folks on the sidelines for the sequel unless and until superior quality is shown.  So, barring the unexpected (b/c I don't expect superior quality), it will be largely a Disney base only type of event (which, admittedly, is quite large), vs a true 4 quadrant one...

I'd have my marker on matching or under TLM for DOM...max...

No idea how the world will react, though...

Oh I think it will do much much less than TLM DOM. OS is where it would save any face, but I still don’t expect much over 600 ww if it’s not some huge surprise crowd pleaser. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

But a sequel to the movie sounds stupid in theory. Could still work out, but not a guarantee. 

Is it? That feels like one of the few recent Pixar movies that has incredible sequel potential. You can show Riley grow up as a teenager, grow up as an adult, show the emotions handle all these changes, how they grow, how new emotions come into the picture, etc. It's the perfect template to do what the Toy Story movies did with Andy and I think people would be interested in seeing the creative avenues these kinds of stories would take.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eric Jones said:

Is it? That feels like one of the few recent Pixar movies that has incredible sequel potential. You can show Riley grow up as a teenager, grow up as an adult, show the emotions handle all these changes, how they grow, how new emotions come into the picture, etc. It's the perfect template to do what the Toy Story movies did with Andy and I think people would be interested in seeing the creative avenues these kinds of stories would take.

All of this. I think the hesitation for some just comes with the fact that the first film is so widely beloved and seen as one of Pixar's best so a sequel is inherently risky. But I considering that they brought back Meg LaFauve, Pete Docter is still overseeing the project, and plus the advances in tech Pixar has made over the years I have faith it will be great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

I feel like it will follow the same template as the first (show how the emotions work through a turmoil) and be super reductive and “why am not re-watching the first?” unless they want to really get risky and make a truly “grown up” film. But they’ll never do that with this, it was greenlit in the first place bc they are desperate for something that looks like a sure hit. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like it will follow the same template as the first (show how the emotions work through a turmoil) and be super reductive and “why am not re-watching the first?” unless they want to really get risky and make a truly “grown up” film. But they’ll never do that with this, it was greenlit in the first place bc they are desperate for something that looks like a sure hit. 

I mean the Toy Story films are all "we have to go back home before X happens" and all still feel different enough in terms of tone and execution. And even then, some people criticized Toy Story 3 for just being the exact same plot as Toy Story 2. I'm not all that enthused by the creative decisions and team so far (though I get why Docter isn't directing), but I don't really think being "the same movie" is that big a deal.

1 minute ago, Eric Jones said:

I mean the Toy Story films are all "we have to go back home before X happens" and all still feel different enough in terms of tone and execution. And even then, some people criticized Toy Story 3 for just being the exact same plot as Toy Story 2. I'm not all that enthused by the creative decisions and team so far (though I get why Docter isn't directing), but I don't really think being "the same movie" is that big a deal.

Possibly. It worked wonders for Incredibles 2. The big difference there is people asked and asked for that movie for years on end. No one was actively asking for IO2 on a mass scale. Pixar was also on a relative brand high as well at the time (IO, Dory, Coco), compare that to now… 

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

I looked at the list of films that made a billion and since 2020

Only

Avatar 2, No Way Home, and Top Gun. Super mario

One thing i noticed these are super massive event films and no longer do okay decent films just sleepwalk to 1 billion plus anymore which was so common in 2018 and 2019.

There are a lot of films in that era i would doubt would get close to a billion today.

Jurrasic world was one I think. 

@Brainbug is going to be pretty disappointed that you forgot JWD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

It feels like 750/800m is the new 1b these days, and tbh it probably is since the lost 20-25% of revenue went to streaming instead. The market always sorts itself out and studios can't con people into paying for a product twice. Sure some people will but they will be balanced by a greater number of people choosing to do one.

• Like 4

For me, Inside Out is so specifically great and important that a sequel actually does make me nervous. I can watch a bunch of iterations of Batman and compare/contrast them. 
Riley’s journey was perfect. I mean Bing Bong… c’mon. 

Edited by Mr Terrific

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I looked at the list of films that made a billion and since 2020

Only

Avatar 2, No Way Home, and Top Gun. Super mario

One thing i noticed these are super massive event films and no longer do okay decent films just sleepwalk to 1 billion plus anymore which was so common in 2018 and 2019.

There are a lot of films in that era i would doubt would get close to a billion today.

Jurrasic world was one I think. 

WHERE IS DOMINION

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marathon said:

Next year's box office looks utterly dull on paper. Nothing is a lock for a billion, and I don't personally see much huge breakout potential in anything except for maybe a few movies. Hopefully this jinxes things and we see all-out craziness week in, week out. 😜

Inside Out 2 has a great chance at a billion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I think it’ll underperform. Pixar has collapsed as a brand since 2015. 

Pretty sure they was dropping huge movies every year for years in a row until the pandemic hits 

But whatever pleases you 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Inside Out 2 has a great chance at a billion.

If it's really good (which there is a strong chance it will be I think) it definitely has a shot. It will open large regardless.

• Like 1

Things have a lifespan. Pixar was cool to people for a long time. It is no longer fresh and new, it is old school. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Possibly. It worked wonders for Incredibles 2. The big difference there is people asked and asked for that movie for years on end. No one was actively asking for IO2 on a mass scale. Pixar was also on a relative brand high as well at the time (IO, Dory, Coco), compare that to now… 

I mean apart from Lightyear, the 2020s stuff has at least been pretty positive.

• Like 4