VanillaSkies

July 5 & 6 Numbers Thread

Just now, Eric Bunny said:

I'm sorry, but in what world is Dunkirk an underperformer? Like I genuinely cannot understand that thought process.

By peak Nolan standards only. Not by studio standards for success. Part of the point that Nolan has lost massive brand name power in the past decade vs his prime. Opp is no sure thing at all. 

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

By peak Nolan standards only. Not by studio standards for success. Part of the point that Nolan has lost massive brand name power in the past decade vs his prime. Opp is no sure thing at all. 

You do realize that, if you remove Inception, his three biggest unadjusted movies are his Batman trilogy, right? 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, just admit you were wrong because any other director making that type of movie and it ain't touching $100M of what Dunkirk did. 1917 is the only close comparison I can come up with and that is over $120M WW less than Dunkirk.

I wonder if Disney will be able to rack up enough money to put them more or less ahead of Universal for the rest of the year, Yesterday Disney made just under 9mil (over 9mil if you include Boogeyman) vs Universals 750k, Disney is down 13mil compared to Universal YTD and will absolutely pass Universal on Friday, after that it's a question of how well Oppenheimer opens and whatever Haunted Mansion can keep Disney ahead. Granted after Haunted Mansion Disney has nothing till The Marvels while Universal has Last Voyage of the Demeter, and unnamed Even Film, Exorcist, FNAF and Strays

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

That Indy number has driven me to drink 

Like I don't even get that drop.  It makes 23.5 million on Mon/Tuesday. That made it seem like WOM was better than most thought it was. And then it crashes on Wed  so maybe not.  Fingers crossed the older Gen x and boomer core audiences  went back to work on wed and this will be a weekend movie. Probably to much hope for. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

You do realize that, if you remove Inception, his three biggest unadjusted movies are his Batman trilogy, right? 

Why would we remove Inception? That movie is the whole point of the brand name Nolan was commanding for a short time. People need to stop living in 2010 though. He has not been able to have that kind of draw power ever since IS came in well below all of the 300+ DOM predictions.  

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

So right now it looks like three big Blockbusters of the summer season are spiderverse, mermaid and Guardians of the Galaxy 3. We're all going to make North 300 mil which is fantastic. We've got our fair share of bombs and plenty of movies that have disappointed. On the lower end I would say Boogeyman was a nice solid hit and probably no hard feelings will be considered one as well.

From what I gather Oppenheimer, Barbie and the cruise missile are three movies that could do gangbusters business. If you guys were forced to pick, which one of these films do you think will do the most domestically?

I think that Guardians either keeps the crown or Across the Spider-Verse tops it, but I don’t think it’s guaranteed either. Either way, they are the best films I’ve seen from this year, so the crown will be in good hands.

• Like 1

I’d wager gen z on the whole doesn’t even know or care about the name “Christopher Nolan.” Which is a very alarming drop off on relevancy considering Nolan had Millennials en masse foaming at the mouth about how he was the greatest thing to ever happen to media for a stretch in the 00s/early 10s. 

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

Inception was sold just as much, if not more so, on being a big summer vehicle for Leo (who powered another, more character-driven thriller without any obvious money shots to big numbers earlier) with a slew of other notables near or at their peak of being in-demand actors in the ensemble as it was being Nolan's follow-up to The Dark Knight. That it made as much as it did confirmed that will always be an A-list director.

But go off, I guess. Clearly no minds will be changed here.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I mean maybe Inception was just merely the exception to the rule and not what we should expect him to make every single time? Maybe I'm missing something, but wholly original features earning nearly 190M domestically and 500M+ worldwide is pretty darn impressive if you ask me, especially with in the IP hellscape we live in today. Plus Tenet still made a killing overseas despite harsh restrictions. I really don't think we need this bizarre hyperbole here and act all faux concerned on one of only like 5 directors who can successfully sell a movie on their name.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Why would we remove Inception? That movie is the whole point of the brand name Nolan was commanding for a short time. People need to stop living in 2010 though. He has not been able to have that kind of draw power ever since IS came in well below all of the 300+ DOM predictions.  

Wut

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Inception was sold just as much, if not more so, on being a big summer vehicle for Leo (who powered another, more character-driven thriller without any obvious money shots to big numbers earlier) with a slew of other notables near or at their peak of being in-demand actors in the ensemble as it was being Nolan's follow-up to The Dark Knight. That it made as much as it did confirmed that will always be an A-list director.

But go off, I guess. Clearly no minds will be changed here.

Yeah arguing with him seems like a driving into a cement wall so why bother. 

• Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Austin said:

Lol, just admit you were wrong because any other director making that type of movie and it ain't touching $100M of what Dunkirk did. 1917 is the only close comparison I can come up with and that is over $120M WW less than Dunkirk.

So then you’re saying $120m more should be considered a sign Nolan’s draw power is just so stratospheric? Disagree. What if people just liked the movie more, for starters? 

8 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Wut

I’m not going to do it, but go dig if you want. Plenty of Inception level expectations on that one back in the day… fairly certain there was major meltdown here over the OW iirc

Edited by MovieMan89

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So then you’re saying $120m more should be considered a sign Nolan’s draw power is just so stratospheric? Disagree. What if people just liked the movie more, for starters? 

Considering Dunkirk has a lower RT Fan score (88% to 81%), IMDb score (8.2 to 7.8), and the same CinemaScore, I'd venture that's a losing argument.

It's the 4th highest grossing war movie ever domestically and 2nd highest worldwide, excluding Wonder Woman. What else do you want?

Saw Sound of Freedom tonight (Thursday) in a sold out theater. I was shocked. I can't remember the last time I sat next to someone not in my party at a theater. I live farily rural / suburban area, drive past cows a lot, so sell outs are not normal. There is a chance this movie expands and really breaks out more than it has. I could see it doing well this week and going away with around 30-40m. But it does have a chance to break out and double that.

it's a 7/10, but very powerful 7/10 and will emotionally affect how some people view the world. I'm close to this subject. I audit non profits that work with kids, the 1st grant I ever wrote was for a foster care system in Uganda, I have been a child advocate for courts, and ran an anti trafficking advocacy group for a few years so I talk about this subject a lot to my wife, but it has never hit her the way seeing the movie has. 

She was an emotional wreck tonight, and has all 4 of our kids in bed with her right now. The movie had a special message after asking people to spread the word on the topic and buy pay it forward tickets by using a QR code on screen. Every single person in the theater stayed for the special message (some who got up stood by the exit when they noticed the count down clock to the message) and I counted 11 phones raised scanning the QR code.

out side the theater multiple large groups where talking and interacting with other groups like they had a connection now. I'm in an area this movie will do well and it's close to me, but if what I saw spreads, this movie easily makes 75+m. 

it's a fascinating box office story and marketing campaign.

Edited by rebelscum86
  • Like 7

55 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’d wager gen z on the whole doesn’t even know or care about the name “Christopher Nolan.” Which is a very alarming drop off on relevancy considering Nolan had Millennials en masse foaming at the mouth about how he was the greatest thing to ever happen to media for a stretch in the 00s/early 10s. 

Do be fair, Gen Z doesn’t know who Steven Spielberg is.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2