CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

35 minutes ago, Algebra said:

It was tracking to open at $250m WW. It opened at $235m. Being $15m short of worldwide forecasts is not that bad.

And MI6 released at during a much healthier Box office period. MI7 is following a long list of underperformers and a few legendary bombs

What do the previous bombs have to do with MI7 though? We’ve also had hits. The MI franchise is just getting long in the tooth. 

• Like 1

Completely different demos. TGM had a younger following and red America embraced it as well. I mentioned this before, FALLOUT was the peak of the franchise, great trailer, amazing WoM, yet it "only" did 220m. That was suppose to be the breakout film. It did great, just people have to accept that the franchise has a ceiling. Nothing wrong with delivering consistently. Four 90+ RT films are not mean feet. People often compare MI to Bond, but we are talking about an international IP with 50+ years of public awareness. I always thought the FAST, BOURNE and JOHN WICK films are much more of a fair comparison and MI is doing great domestically in that league. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

MI is doing great domestically in that league. 

We can also just compare Mission Impossible to Mission Impossible (I and II) domestically. The franchise just lost 1/3 of its audience after the bad second movie and was never able to regain it despite retaining core cast. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Austin said:

MI7 is doing fine, but why shouldn't have people expected to see at least some box office bump for the movie 1 year after TGM made $1.4B? I thought it would have some peceivable increase over Fallout, especially since that movie was so well received. I was one who thought the movie had a good chance to land between $900M-$1.1B, but I never thought it would reach TGM heights.

I suppose I'm just a BO noob but it would have made sense for the movie to have shown some growth over Fallout imo.

Never understood this argument. China was never going to do $180M again and only interconnected universes see box office bumps like you described. 

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

We can also just compare Mission Impossible to Mission Impossible (I and II) domestically. The franchise just lost 1/3 of its audience after the bad second movie and was never able to regain it despite retaining core cast. 

MI3 did poorly. That pretty much seemed like a franchise killer. Cruise did very well to recover from that putting out quality films. The franchise has a core and it's not going to move up and down significantly until the quality drops.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

18 minutes ago, Austin said:

MI7 is doing fine, but why shouldn't have people expected to see at least some box office bump for the movie 1 year after TGM made $1.4B?

Cause it's not Top Gun 3?

Time and time again we see that the property tends to attract audiences and not stars, so why would Cruise all of a sudden carry over audiences? By that logic, TGM should never have made what it did cause his movies never got anywhere near those numbers - but clearly the people that took it to those heights didn't come out for Cruise in particular. They came out for Cruise in that role, for that movie, which caught on and rode a wave of amazing WOM you rarely encounter.

There's an argument to be made that it's a bit underwhelming compared to Fallout, but TGM should not be part of the discussion.

Edited by reddevil19

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Right? Everyone was treating this like a Top Gun: Maverick sequel up until a week ago. 

Yeah I get that the TGM effect wasn’t a thing but saying matching Fallout was unreasonable? Give me a break. It’s clear that Sound of Freedom is likely hurting this movie, Barbenheimer next week is causing people to save their money, and the Part One title was a huge mistake and all this has left some money on the table . 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This drop of MI:DR from Fallout is comparable to the MI3 drop from 2, at least domestic

haha That is probably the most idiotic thing you just said so far and you had a fair share of lies and troll comment that were proven to be totally false. My favourite so far was the big rating collapse on IMDB. "Disaster WoM, it is collapsing on IMDB" Fact: currently it stands at franchise best.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What do the previous bombs have to do with MI7 though? We’ve also had hits. The MI franchise is just getting long in the tooth. 

But still sad to see MI7's 5 days opening actually isn't much higher than T6:TROB, a movie that deemed as far inferior in term of quality. 

36 minutes ago, Austin said:

MI7 is doing fine, but why shouldn't have people expected to see at least some box office bump for the movie 1 year after TGM made $1.4B? I thought it would have some peceivable increase over Fallout, especially since that movie was so well received. I was one who thought the movie had a good chance to land between $900M-$1.1B, but I never thought it would reach TGM heights.

I suppose I'm just a BO noob but it would have made sense for the movie to have shown some growth over Fallout imo.

Because, as others have said, it's the seventh movie in a franchise that's been around for nearly 30 years. You're either on board with these movies or you're not at this point. Maybe an original Tom Cruise action vehicle might've benefitted from Top Gun, but not this.

• Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

MI 3 Inflation Adj: 186M , which Dead Reckoning will not achieve. It's a harsh drop for DR and i blame the schedule mostly

based  on the average ticket price from 2006 from NATO I think it adjusts a bit higher actually 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1