upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

zV5Msd3.png

How on earth does this have a budget of $157.8m???

i posted the exact same question in previous page lol. Apparently its a similar case like Indy as the movie has been in development for more than a decade and had multiple director, script changes during this period which contributed to the bloated budget. This has all makings to join Flash, Indy in the bomb list

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Looking around at my local theaters for Tuesday showings, and it looks like there is capacity issues for almost every movie lmao. MI7, Barbie, Opp, SOF, Indy 5, NHF and Elemental are all filling up their showtimes. I don't think I've seen a Tuesday like this in a while.

Barbie is astonishingly sold out across the board repping roughly over 50% of the screenings, so I'm curious as to if Barbie can post an increase on Tuesday over Monday despite the massive spillover from the weekend on Monday.

Edited by Austin

19 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Haven't gotten around to S3 yet, but the first two seasons were heartwarming though!

I loved S1 and S2, so it brings me no joy to say such harsh remarks about S3 but I fully stand by them!

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

Looking around at my local theaters for Tuesday showings, and it looks like there is capacity issues for almost every movie lmao. MI7, Barbie, Opp, Indy 5, NHF and Elemental are all filling up their showtimes. I don't think I've seen a Tuesday like this in a while.

Barbie is astonishingly sold out across the board repping roughly over 50% of the screenings, so I'm curious as to if Barbie can post an increase on Tuesday over Monday despite the massive spillover from the weekend on Monday.

That’s lovely to read!

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Avatar is the most impressive run.   'Endgame' had 11 films of buildup or whatever it was.  20 films.  I don't know.  Avatar was a brand new IP and it didn't have a crazy opening weekend either.  It just got bigger and bigger.. 

Avatar's big trick was the pull of the 3D. It doesn't touch the run of TITANIC or even ET imho.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Avatar is the most impressive run.   'Endgame' had 11 films of buildup or whatever it was.  20 films.  I don't know.  Avatar was a brand new IP and it didn't have a crazy opening weekend either.  It just got bigger and bigger.. 

Titanic > Avatar IMO

Titanic was #1 for 77 days in a row, that fact just boggles my mind. It's highest grossing day was on day FIFTY-EIGHT. It doubled the previous worldwide record and in a world when no movie had ever hit a billion it almost skipped straight to 2 billion in one go. It had something like nearly double Avatar and Endgame's admissions domestically, which relied on PLFs to bump up their gross. Adjusted for inflation its first ten weekend all grossed $40m. The list goes on and on...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Austin said:

May I ask why you disliked Ted Lasso?

It never really knew what it wanted to be. Schmaltzy bullshit with harsh language once in a while. Try-hard stereotype characters, completely unbelievable writing, terrible acting from most of the supporting cast and not even remotely funny.

And that's before the wasted opportunities with the setting. 

Ted Lasso should have been a Veep-style insane satire that actually understands football, the British culture around it and the press and dives fully into it. Or it should have stayed a ten minute advert as it was originally.

Unwatchable dreck.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Disbelief 1

38 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

zV5Msd3.png

How on earth does this have a budget of $157.8m???

Because that's what this movie needed to exist. I know there's a lot of discourse about "why do movies cost so much????", but the problem is that if you slash movies and their costs down, that causes a lot of cut corners. You lose an important setpiece, you lose certain actors, and so on. So you end up with a cheap-looking product, and cheap doesn't always mean good, or in a worst-case scenario, you're like the new Spider-Verse movie and you overwork and abuse your crew members. And frankly, considering that Hollywood is exposing itself more and more as an awful place where capitalist pigs will happily lay off their workers at a moment's notice, mock people who want livable wages, and are more than fine with crunching and overworking their VFX workers who are forced to deliver crappy CGI because there's no time to get it all done, I think a little extra money to give better production values and more time for the people making your movie is just fine, even if the greedy studio execs have to pay extra.

Plus there's so much stuff that happens from greenlighting to release. A pitch for a reboot of a popular Disneyland ride with a fun ensemble cast and spooky VFX sounds like a good pitch to me. They didn't know in 2020/2021 that audience attendance was going to shrivel up like it has and that Barbie and Oppenheimer would be big news and that the film would only recieve mixed reviews. If studios had a magic 8-ball that told them what would happen, then no movies would bomb. And frankly, at this point, because moviegoing is in the toilet minus one or two breakouts per year, these studios should probably accept that blockbusters will have to exist as loss leaders from now on.

And just for kicks, let it be known that the 2003 Haunted Mansion, when you adjust for inflation, is about $150M. Even if a good chunk of the 2003 film was Eddie Murphy's salary, that's still only a $10 million difference. And while that film is a piece of crap, that film also looks very expensive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

more-kylo-ren.gif

i don't think it's fair to generalize Conservatives and Christians just based on Ben Shapiro's actions who himself is not even a Christian. Afaik, Ben is the only prominent celebrity among American right that did stupid stuff like burning Barbie doll and had a meltdown regarding movie. Some other people like Ted Cruz were crying on the movie but no one else prominent other than Ben were burning dolls.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It never really knew what it wanted to be. Schmaltzy bullshit with harsh language once in a while. Try-hard stereotype characters, completely unbelievable writing, terrible acting from most of the supporting cast and not even remotely funny.

And that's before the wasted opportunities with the setting. 

Ted Lasso should have been a Veep-style insane satire that actually understands football, the British culture around it and the press and dives fully into it. Or it should have stayed a ten minute advert as it was originally.

Unwatchable dreck.

lol Ted Lasso is the funniest, most inspirational, heart-warming comedy out there that gives a great insight to one of the most popular sporting leagues on the planet. Suppose if someone isn't a fan of the PL some of the jokes don't sit.

• Like 1