Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

20 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

So, was deadline’s overestimation of TFOne’s opening weekend the reason as to why they now seem to be underestimating Wild Robots opening weekend, by putting it at 20mil?  

We like to rag on deadline and other outlets, but they're just trying to throw something out there that's reasonable accurate, and work with what the studios are giving them.

If they're being conservative this week, it's probably that original animation is such a crap shoot. This is also expected to leg out, so the studio is also probably fine with a low number circulating for it, because it's not a death sentence for the film.

I know we give the publications a hard time when they over or underestimate, but they're putting out a clear published forecast each week even in cases where there isn't a clear outlook. And they're serving different masters by making sure they're keeping studio contacts happy.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 7:06 PM, vafrow said:

I had a weird unexpected sold out show on MTC4 recently for something that I'm convinced was a system glitch. 

MTC4 doesn't list something as sold out unless every seat is sold out, which is hard as youll get the odd single seat in there. Only time I see it get close is small capacity VIP theatres.

Okay so this is a thing. Thanks for the heads up on that. LIke I said, it was either that or maybe a group thing (but thats usually 1 screen or showing, not multiple showings over 2 theatres).  Ill see if I can circle back around and see if its back to normal.