Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

28 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I am not saying all women completely despise epic love stories, they just don't hit the same like they used to. What's the last romance film to hit big at the box office? Twilight? 50 Shades of Grey? But that's more of an erotic love story. With the current state of the world and poor economy, people are just more practical these days. Epic love stories aren't practical.

Again. Epic love movies weren't so common in the 90s or 80s either.

People are more practical these days, but that could even benefit the idealized romance movies. A lot of people use fictional stories as escapism.

Honestly, romance movies have a hard time, because there is a lot of competition. Romance stories can easily be created by TV shows or streaming.

Edited by Kon

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Again. Epic love movies weren't so common in the 90s or 80s either.

People are more practical these days, but that could even benefit the idealized romance movies. A lot of people use fictional stories as escapism.

Honestly, romance movies have a hard time, because there is a lot of competition. Romance stories can easily be created by TV shows or streaming.

200M dollars action movie can be made by Netflix too. So i would Say this is impacting these movies too, at least you don't give something It's good and smart and different even action flicks fan stays at home. I mean Mission impossible, Transformers and last fast and furious...not  incredibile successes right?.

The success of Barbie shows female comedies can still work but again if it'something surprising and original, as for the action flicks if you makes something generic...

1 hour ago, baumer said:

One last observation about the Dark Knight. Quentin Tarantino is known for and has publicly commented on the fact that he has a large repertoire of character actors that he will cast in his films. And it's no doubt true. But the Dark Knight has some of the most out of left field actors cast in it and they ended up being absolutely perfect for the role.

I already mentioned Michael Jai White who was terrific in his 5 or 10 minutes of screen time. Then you have Tiny Lister cast as the criminal who would not be responsible for blowing up the other boat. To wrestling fans he was Zeus back in the day. To me I first got wind of him in films like Armed and Dangerous and Walter Hills Extreme Prejudice.

Then of course you have one of my favorite character actors, Eric Roberts who's been in a ton of films and people presumably know from Runaway Train in and he was in the first Expendables movie as well.

I guess I'm just adding to the fact that Nolan clearly had the Midas touch for the Dark Knight. Everything from the casting to the script to the acting the locations the music and so on and so on, he just nailed everything.

TDK opening night at the BFI IMAX in London remains one of the best cinema experiences of my life (up there with Jurassic Park as a 9 year old and the prologue to FOTR). When the WB/DC logos faded, to the smokey batsignal, to the smash cut of the crisp cityscape (in full IMAX), the whole cinema gasped - it literally felt like we were about to fall into the screen. 

To this day the best use of IMAX in a blockbuster 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I often disagree with the moderation at this site but in this case it totally makes sense. Saying Disney is going to go broke is a trollish comment. It has no merits no truth to it and not even an inkling of a possibility.

Ok? Thanks for clarifying nothing for me as I never said the comment wasn’t trolling.. but my point still stands… there are ppl who openly make comments that are inflammatory and trollish in nature about ppl on the right and religious on these forums… but we can’t have the trolling of Disney via obvious hyperbole? That is what  gets the ire of the mod? I can call religious ppl crazy, something that was said on these forums in one if the weekend threads recently, but, don’t dare say Disney is going bankrupt? Ok…

3 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

Ok? Thanks for clarifying nothing for me as I never said the comment wasn’t trolling.. but my point still stands… there are ppl who openly make comments that are inflammatory and trollish in nature about ppl on the right and religious on these forums… but we can’t have the trolling of Disney via obvious hyperbole? That is what  gets the ire of the mod? I can call religious ppl crazy, something that was said on these forums in one if the weekend threads recently, but, don’t dare say Disney is going bankrupt? Ok…

I've understand you find that behavior hypocrital, but that's how people tend to behave.

People tends to only notice the hypocrisy when it goes against their ideologies.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

Every once in a while I remember the "either die a hero" line and go to YouTube to watch that scene and inevitably end up watching the entire movie after that. It's just such a well written movie all around.

Just the fact that the climax hinges on whether random people we have never met before deciding whether or not to kill other random people we have never met before and there's literally nothing Batman himself can do about it is ballsy. Trusting that we will empathize with the crowd and also that a climax without a major action setpiece will satisfy the audience was a bold move for a CBM superhero movie.

Not just randoms deciding to blow each other up… randoms that had lines of logic that they could go down to get to the point of blowing each other up. The criminals logic is they are criminals, they’re already in prison, so what more could be done to them… the other boat was everyday ppl, who knew the other boat had criminals on it… pulling the trigger was justified as the other boat “had their chance”. Both boats had their own twisted moral reasons to kill the others.. and they didn’t! Great scene! Great writing! 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

I've understand you find that behavior hypocrital, but that's how people tend to behave.

People tends to only notice the hypocrisy when it goes against their ideologies.

That’s just your assumption. I’m actually an atheist, my wife and I loved going to WDW, to the point we’ve spent near $22,000 on family vacations, and bought a fuck ton of stock. I’m not a mod here, though I’ve been a mod and admin elsewhere. Leaving personal bias out of moderation is important. 

Y'know, most of the whining about Disney this summer would be moot if they had just been smart enough to NOT take the bait and make Indy 5: the Prostate of Doom. Elemental wasn't really a success but it wasn't a failure either and I'm sure they'll be back on track easily if they make Frozen 3 in terms of animated features.

• Like 1

Elemental was a success in two clear ways. 
1) It was a really good product. That’s the only thing a studio can fully control. It’s also not a given. Even for Pixar. 
2) After the reviews were not completely raves and the sad OW, customers took to it. A 5x isn’t unprecedented but it is clearly strong. After years of Pixar being absent from theaters and Lightyear being a dud, people came out for it. Of course, Disney wanted more in dollars. A reasonable exec would also see Pixar has a strong pulse going forward. 

21 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Y'know, most of the whining about Disney this summer would be moot if they had just been smart enough to NOT take the bait and make Indy 5: the Prostate of Doom. Elemental wasn't really a success but it wasn't a failure either and I'm sure they'll be back on track easily if they make Frozen 3 in terms of animated features.

But they did release it… along with Ant Man, Haunted Mansion, Strange World ran into 2023 from a Nov 2022 release (i know it would still be considered 2022). Hindsight doesn’t help them right now, it doesn’t pay the bills. Indy is the big loser this year, but, Disney has still had a number of stinkers this year (and late last year). And yes, Disney is not going bankrupt anytime soon, but their overall health is in question. They have $45billiin in long term debt, they still have not reinstated stock dividends since “temporarily halting” them when the pandemic hit. Parks are starting to see attendance drops. D+ is not close to where it needs to be. They are laying off thousands. Disney really is not in a great place to have stinkers at the box office. 

Edited by Elden Lord

11 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

But they did release it… along with Ant Man, Haunted Mansion, Strange World ran into 2023 from a Nov 2022 release (i know it would still be considered 2022). Hindsight doesn’t help them right now, it doesn’t pay the bills. Indy is the big loser this year, but, Disney has still had a number of stinkers this year (and late last year). And yes, Disney is not going bankrupt anytime soon, but their overall health is in question. They have $45billiin in long term debt, they still have not reinstated stock dividends since “temporarily halting” them when the pandemic hit. Parks are starting to see attendance drops. D+ is not close to where it needs to be. They are laying off thousands. Disney really is not in a great place to have stinkers at the box office. 

Of course parks have attendance drops. Who wants to spend hours outside in 100 degree weather?

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Of course parks have attendance drops. Who wants to spend hours outside in 100 degree weather?

I would possibly agree with you, except that Magic Kingdom hasn’t registered a 100 degree day so far in August nor July. 

speaking of Haunted Mansion, Wife and I saw it Sunday and… woof…. It was pretty bad. I get that they tried going… campy, since the ride has the kind of campy scary feeling to it. But it was too campy in the parts where it needed to be serious… I can see why this movie is not doing well.

20 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

I am not a defender of Ant Man 3 at all but why is it on par with huge bombs like Strange World and Haunted Mansion? It underperformed but it made $475m WW on a $200m budget. 

Just now, Elden Lord said:

I would possibly agree with you, except that Magic Kingdom hasn’t registered a 100 degree day so far in August nor July. 

speaking of Haunted Mansion, Wife and I saw it Sunday and… woof…. It was pretty bad. I get that they tried going… campy, since the ride has the kind of campy scary feeling to it. But it was too campy in the parts where it needed to be serious… I can see why this movie is not doing well.

Magic Kingdom is def over 100 once humidity index/discomfort are taken into account. Florida will be VERY unappealing in "high summer" after climate change. Disney should start looking at a long term plan to either become a landlord or offload those parks to someone because they are deeeeeaaaaaaaaddddd in summer there in about 20 years if this change keeps up.

• Like 1

Just now, AN9815 said:

I am not a defender of Ant Man 3 at all but why is it on par with huge bombs like Strange World and Haunted Mansion? It underperformed but it made $475m WW on a $200m budget. 

I mean, my discussion was more on the stupidity of taking the bait and making Indy 5 (an obviously bad idea). Ant-Man COULD have actually done well if it was good. Indy 5 was doomed from the greenlight.

In my opinion Elemental run has been great and I think Disney will be happy with it at the end. We will see for sure with Wish, Elio and Inside Out 2 but I think this is the right path for WDAS and Pixar animated movies. After Lightyear and Strange World massive bombs I was afraid people had completely abandoned original animation but looking back those movies were really not that good and did not connect with audiences at all. Elemental opened pretty low but its legs and its OS performance have been great to the point of going from one of the biggest bombs of the year to a break even point. But most importantly, I think it brought some faith back on original animation post COVID. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Magic Kingdom is def over 100 once humidity index/discomfort are taken into account. Florida will be VERY unappealing in "high summer" after climate change. Disney should start looking at a long term plan to either become a landlord or offload those parks to someone because they are deeeeeaaaaaaaaddddd in summer there in about 20 years if this change keeps up.

Yeah, I was going to say I don't think people really understand what humidity does if they've never experienced it before lol.

It's the fucking worst.

• Like 1