Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

16 hours ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 MEG opened a bit below the first one (~42.000 tickets sold vs ~57.000 tickets sold) but it was insanely screwed by screen space (many theaters only had it in rooms with under 100 seats). The first one had no competition. Still, this is a bigger OW than D&D, Scream, Flash and Transformers and just below Spider-Verse and Quantumania.

Pôr do Sol sold ~32.000 tickets (it was almost first on Thursday) but it seems to be heavily frontloaded. Still, it is a great result.

Barbie and Oppenheimer destroying in the top 2. 

The Meg numbers are decent, all things considered. Given the lack of screens and the diminishing return factor, that's still a decent opening.

Doesn't surprise me regarding Pôr do Sol tbh lol, but still, 32k tickets is probably the biggest Portuguese movie debut since the Curral de Moinas movie, proving that RTP is the absolute Gawd of Portuguese audiovisual :ohmygod:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

If the weekend drops never changed from last weekend, here are the projected domestic totals:

Barbie - $583M (I know alot of folks have insanely high final projections for Barbie but I think it'll close lower than many think....$600M is very hard to achieve...not saying it won't make it to that milestone but it will be more difficult than many may have predicted even with summer weekdays)

Oppenheimer - $306M

Sound of Freedom - $182M

Mission Impossible 6 - $169M

Indy 5 - $173M

Barbie is 16.67% ahead of TDK after its 3rd weekend = around $622.2 million final dom. But Barbie is gaining more and more every day and will have weaker competition than TDK had in 2008. I think the target for Barbie is $630-660m.

On the other hand, Jurrasic World ($652.3m dom) is currently almost $41 million ahead of Barbie and had better weekends so far +also summer weekdays from now on and a big boost on its 12th weekend (LDW). Catching it won't be easy,

I'm convinced that Oppenheimer is heading for the $310-320m dom.

M:I-7 is the saddest box office story of the summer :(

Summer 2023 (Top10):

Barbie $645m

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse $381m

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 $359m

Oppenheimer $315m

The Little Mermaid $297.2m

Sound of Freedom $183m

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny $173.5m

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One $166m

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts $157.4m

Elemental $153.5m

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

The Nudity is also of the "blink and you will miss it" variety, which is not the case with the nudity in "Oppenheimer".

As to this weekend, mildley surprised that Meg 2 beat out Ninja Turtles.

It is definitely not a blink and you will miss it, it's still tastefully done obviously but when she lays down on the couch her breasts are visible clearly for a few seconds.

• Like 1

I just caught Mission Impossible. I really like this series and this movie as well, but I can definitely see why WOM wasn't on "must-see" level. These movies are starting to get just a little formulaic, and even though Haley Atwell was great, I was a bit iffy on that whole 

Spoiler

relationship triangle and the way they dealt with Ilsa

Maybe a new director wouldn't be the worst thing for this series. Fallout was fantastic but none of the recent entries flashed me as much as Ghost Protocol

54 minutes ago, baumer said:

It is definitely not a blink and you will miss it, it's still tastefully done obviously but when she lays down on the couch her breasts are visible clearly for a few seconds.

Yeah. It isn't a blink and you will miss scene.

The scene was allowed in a PG-13 movie, because it was shown as artistic.

It wouldn't be allowed if the situation was more sexual. That's why Kate Winslet's body is covered by sheets in the bed scenes.

Edited by Kon

49 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yeah. It isn't a blink and you will miss scene.

The scene was allowed in a PG-13 movie, because it was shown as artistic.

It wouldn't be allowed if the situation was more sexual. That's why Kate Winslet's body is covered by sheets in the bed scenes.

There were no bed scenes. She got drawn on the couch and then they had sex in the car. And nothing is seen in the car from the head down basically on both actors. Anyway nudity in films doesn't automatically make it an R rating. There's plenty of films where bare breasts are shown and it doesn't automatically elicit to an r rating. 

Off the top of my head, Sixteen Candles, as Good as it gets, The Abyss something's got to give. The way I understand it as long as it's not in a sexual nature like in The Terminator when Reese and Sarah Connor were having sex that would give you an R rating. But nudity doesn't automatically give you the dreaded r. In fact saying the word fuck in a sexual nature will get you an r rating faster.

4 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Huh. Well…good for it I guess. What an interesting piece of data :lol: 

If they set the next one's third act in Saudi Arabia (and they now all run on petrol, not All-Spark, and they take out the girl robot and call them Cisformers instead)...big money, BIIIIIG MONEY.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Do people really sing along to songs in a theatre? :hahaha:

Release Barbie Sing Along on Labor Day weekend and put the song lyrics on whenever the songs from soundtrack play. WB is desperate for cash right now 

We all know a ton of guys going to be singing I'm Just Ken in theaters.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

There were no bed scenes. She got drawn on the couch and then they had sex in the car. And nothing is seen in the car from the head down basically on both actors. Anyway nudity in films doesn't automatically make it an R rating. There's plenty of films where bare breasts are shown and it doesn't automatically elicit to an r rating. 

Off the top of my head, Sixteen Candles, as Good as it gets, The Abyss something's got to give. The way I understand it as long as it's not in a sexual nature like in The Terminator when Reese and Sarah Connor were having sex that would give you an R rating. But nudity doesn't automatically give you the dreaded r. In fact saying the word fuck in a sexual nature will get you an r rating faster.

As long as it's female nudity

A Room With A View went "Unrated" because of male nudity - non sexual in the funny swimming pond scene.