kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

57 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Great job from the 2022 movies.

Are legs longer post-pandemic? Initially I thought they were getting shorter but for the movies that catch the zeitgeist it seems they are lengthening.

30 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

This is awful. In Mexico that's less than Fury of Gods. Less than half of F4ntastic and half of Dark Phoenix. 

In Argentina it opened on 6th!

I'm not really surprised the movie isn't doing well in Latin American countries. 

Even if we talk about representation, this mainly applies to Latinos in the United States.

People living in Latin American countries don't really look for representation from American movies, especially the kind of representation American movies tend to offer for latinos. 

Edited by Kon
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MattW said:

Are legs longer post-pandemic? Initially I thought they were getting shorter but for the movies that catch the zeitgeist it seems they are lengthening.

I think having way, way fewer movies has also helped. The big ones have kept theaters longer than usual.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Yeah, MI is pulling some great late holds, love to see it. 

Just goes to show that the release date was the biggest factor in its underperformance. Probably lost $100M from its WW total because of the perfect storm of Barbie/Oppy + SoF. China’s recent indifference to Hollywood films probably cost another $50-$100M. 

16 minutes ago, MattW said:

When it came out, there was a discussion over whether NWH being the first event film during the pandemic made it even bigger than it would have been. Can't say for sure though as the Tom Holland and Zendaya power couple had amassed a huge Gen Z following and adding Maguire and Garfield brought in older audiences too. It would have been humongous pandemic or no pandemic.

TGM and Barbie became zeitgeist movies with solid to superb openings but then turned into unmissable water cooler topics, which was reflected in amazing legs.

Kinda meh regarding Avatar 2's performance. Obviously it made crazy numbers but it was also the sequel to the biggest film of all time and there was no competition for a month and a half. Curious to see how it would have done during an insanely crowded frame like this summer.

Edited by Spidey Freak

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

OPPY had South Korea opening - Wed-Sun $12.6m

Yup, I'm aware. I just thought of pointing it out since BARBIE also saw new opening(s) last weekend and/or the weekend(s) before, I think.

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Yup, I'm aware. I just thought of pointing it out since BARBIE also saw new opening(s) last weekend and/or the weekend(s) before, I think.

I think only Japan the w/e before and it's not performed well there. $3m over 10 days and during Oban

41 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Lol, so it barely beat Oppie and couldn't beat Barbie...depending on actuals, might even be third WW.

Also, GT is a true flop story OS as well.

China and Italy should hopefully do well enough to get Oppie past GOTG3. Italy should hopefully do similar number to Spain. China I could feasibly see doing anything between 15 and 50 million, so GOTG3 (and maybe Inception) as a target will come down to it's performance there...

31 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think Batman 2 will decrease. The first had a lot of curiosity factor but it doesn't seem to have penetrated the pop culture or have much staying power

I think Batman 2 and Joker 2 both will do well, but they won't do anything for the DC brand as a whole.