Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

When exactly did it become the norm to count early access previews as part of the OW numbers? WB didn’t do that with Aquaman or Shazam!

I'm not sure when exactly it changed (Batman?) but the generally "acceptable" practice now is to "permit" 1-2 days of EA shows - whether they be Tue/Wed week of release or even an earlier sneak - to be rolled into the preview (which is rolled into Friday and then part of the OW)

But no studio should be bemoaning what has increasingly become a less finite definition of an opening weekend +previews

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M37 said:

I'm not sure when exactly it changed (Batman?) but the generally "acceptable" practice now is to "permit" 1-2 days of EA shows - whether they be Tue/Wed week of release or even an earlier sneak - to be rolled into the preview (which is rolled into Friday and then part of the OW)

But no studio should be bemoaning what has increasingly become a less finite definition of an opening weekend +previews

Looks like Knives Out rolled Tuesday grosses into their 5 day thanksgiving OW as did A Star is born ("Warner Bros. 100 Dolby+500 premium Tuesday-Wednesday previews of A Star Is Born, which made $1.35M before its start")

Other wide recent paid previews of late include Warner Bros.’ Fandango preview screening back in March at 1,200, which made $3.3M, DreamWorks Animation-Fandango preview of How to Train Your Dragon 3 ($2.6M) earlier this year, Atom & Amazon’s WB preview of Aquaman ($2.9M), Atom/Amazon’s previews of Sony’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($1.8M) and Hotel Transylvania 3 ($1.3M) and Warner Bros. 100 Dolby+500 premium Tuesday-Wednesday previews of A Star Is Born, which made $1.35M before its start. Some studios also do these paid previews in a limited amount of theaters, i.e. Rocketman grossed $580K before its official Thursday previews

I started this thinking Jumanji did it but it really doesn't look like it. I didn't check the others

https://deadline.com/2019/11/knives-out-paid-weekend-previews-1202794073/ 

• Like 1

Studios have been rolling “sneaks” in with opening day/weekend grosses for years. Back when BOM was a well run site, you’d see on occasion in the weekend reports “X movie played to advance shows this past Saturday”, sometimes I think the grosses for those would go to totally different movies (owned by the same studio of course) but I’d need to do some digging to confirm that. 

That said 9 days of previews is really dumb to count in with a Friday number, but so are 2-3pm Thursday grosses. I didn’t really care as much when it was 9-10pm shows, but every year it just got earlier and earlier. 

You’d figure with every studio wanting to make as many films “events” these days, one way to do so would be a midnight launch again. It’s old enough to feel almost “retro” now, tons of Gen-Z’ers probably never experienced one. If Marvel ends up desperate for hype at some point in the future, maybe something they should consider.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, alfred8 said:

Barbie grossed $32.6M so far in Italy.
Oppenheimer grossed $9.6M in 5 days.
I meant that Oppenheimer is doing great and that it could reach $25M (so not that far from Barbie final gross), great hype and the word of mouth is unbelievably good.

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation...

• Like 1