Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

29 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

My take on the TMNT IP and why it hasn't managed to break out despite having a lot of things going for it: Trying to force the Turtles into live action since the 90s was a brand damaging mistake. A bunch of anthropomorphic creatures or characters that look outlandishly cartoonish (like Mario) leading a live action film always has limited appeal. Even the Scooby-Doo films relied on the popularity of the four real teenagers to be successful in the early 2000s

Maybe it was better suited to blow up as an animated Illumination franchise like Minions or Super Mario Bros. But for that it needed a rest on screen since the 90s like SMB

I mean the first live-action movie in 1990 broke box office records and the 2014 movie made $500M. Don't think going into live-action hurt the franchise's appeal whatsoever.

Honestly the big issue here in hindsight is that Mutant Mayhem didn't really have much of a hook to distinguish itself from the recent movies outside of the funky art style. So it really only got the hardcore fans excited. Plus the 2014 movie came out when there was a hot new cartoon on Nickelodeon that was averaging 2-3 million viewers an episode. The last show, Rise of the TMNT,  flopped, with its second season dumped on Nicktoons. And there hasn't been anything new with the property apart from a Netflix movie that came and went last year. So it doesn't help that a lot of kids today don't have the same Turtle fever that kids 10 years ago had.

And in the end, it's still gunning for a solid 120M domestically and has strong reception that will help keep the franchise chugging along. If Paramount were smart, they would find a way to send this to Netflix if they want a good sequel bump. Spider-Verse got a huge second wind of popularity when it played on there.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Is he talking out of his ass or does Oppy actually have $220M+ left in the tank? 

EC doesn't believe numbers of China Box Office. His way of trusting box office number is quite political. So, he take is that Oppenheimer will do $1B without any inclusive of Chinese Gross. I wonder what he lately being thinking about which market is going to leggy that hard to help Opp reach $1B.

Edited by Issac Newton

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

EC doesn't believe numbers of China Box Office. His way of trusting box office number is quite political. So, he take is that Oppenheimer will do $1B without any inclusive of Chinese Gross. I wonder what he lately being thinking about which market is going to leggy that hard to help Opp reach $1B.

As in he thinks the Chinese Box Office numbers are rigged lol?

37 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

At issue, is the fact that “Gran Turismo’s” opening figure includes both the $1.4 million it earned in Thursday previews and the $3.9 million it generated in weeks of special pre-show screenings. Studios routinely fold Thursday preview grosses into their opening weekend results — Warner Bros. doesn’t dispute that. However, Sony does seem to be applying a pretty liberal idea of what constitutes an opening weekend by including its weeks of other screenings.

Without the preview screenings, “Gran Turismo” would have opened in second place with $13.4 million, Warner Bros. claims. Ultimately, it may not make much difference who comes out on top.

The whole squabble is so embarrassing on both sides: Sony, because a movie like Gran Turismo still couldn't clear $20 million even with 9 extra days of early access screenings, and Warner Bros because they’ve taken so many other Ls this year that they're desperately clinging to moral victories in a movie's sixth weekend performance. Another weekend at #1 would be nice but Barbie has more than gotten her flowers.

WB doesn't care about "accuracy" in box office reporting-they just wanted a win. It isn't like they themselves have never rolled multiple days of early screenings into an opening weekend before. Granted 9 days is absurd, but if it was just 3 early access days (Paramount has done that multiple times this year), would WB have been more magnanimous? Is what WB did with Tenet different in their minds somehow because it was "only" Canada? Do they just block that time from their minds because they'd rather forget fumbling their own bag with Nolan?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

As in he thinks the Chinese Box Office numbers are rigged lol?

Majority thinks that only War theme Film (Propaganda for them) tops China Box Office without checking facts that China also have Sci-fi &Comedy and even Animation on Country's All-Time Top 10 too.

Misconception had always been common since American site like BOM &NUM had never ever bothered tracking Non-English Titles accurately. Only ComScore shows no biases in tracking. And I think it's because Media Outlets published them as Propaganda. A vast section just ignore anything reported in China as quite incorrect - I believe.

WB being pissy about wanting another week at number 1 when they're going to finish this week already being the number 1 movie of the year is the kind of arbitrarily peak corpo entitlement that I can't figure out if it makes box office races more of a fun popcorn spectacle or if it just creates a sobering disconnect in the experience of watching dollar sign statistics go crazy.

Edited by electride
  • Like 4

WB is being incredibly petty about Barbie not getting #1 for another WE, when Barbie is going to win the year DOM and WW.

Sony cheated with 9 days of EA showings for GT and its OW will forever have a huge * next to it.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting back and enjoying the show! :popcorn:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Haha 1

National Cinema Day 2023 Draws 8.5M Admissions, +5% Over 2022 After ‘Gran Turismo’ & ‘Barbie’ Drag-Out Fight – Early Look

National Cinema Day did 8.5 million admissions we hear off of a Sunday total day box office that’s estimated around $34M. All tickets for all movies and showtimes were $4 vs. last year’s $3. Note this figure could go up later today once final numbers are tabulated.

Last year’s National Cinema Day drew 8.1M. The exhibitor celebratory day to get people back in seats fell on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend last year. The whole gist behind National Cinema Day was to drive people to movie theaters in order to shake off their COVID jitters and to drive attendance to movie houses when there was no product in them. This year was different: A lot of tentpoles with Warner Bros.’ sixth weekend of Barbie at $15.1M warring with Sony’s first wide weekend of Gran Turismo ($17.4M) after the latter included nine days of advance sneak previews in their opening Friday

As we told you earlier, Barbie beat Gran Turismo in admissions on Sunday, 1.42M to 1.17M. Warners was projecting that they’d do 1.937M on Barbie yesterday.

Both pics’ saw surges in their Sunday box office over Saturday due to National Cinema Day: Barbie‘s at $5.7M, +6%; Gran Turismo‘s at $4.7M, +15%.

20 minutes ago, electride said:

WB being pissy about wanting another week at number 1 when they're going to finish this week already being the number 1 movie of the year is the kind of arbitrarily peak corpo entitlement that I can't figure out if it makes box office races more of a fun popcorn spectacle or if it just creates a sobering disconnect in the experience of watching dollar sign statistics go crazy.

I think it makes more fun popcorn spectacle. People tend to take a position in this kind of discussions.

People want to believe WB being petty will create sobering disconnect between audience following BO, but that's unlikely. 

PS: I mean, if shitty behaviour from studios cause sobering disconnect between audience, this would have affected a long time ago.

How did Barbie go down 2m, what the hell??? Was WB purposefully being shady and way over-estimating to look like it beat inflated GT? But even then, it was short in estimates. I feel like we never see an overestimation of 10%+ from the studios. Ugh, this makes JW now much more of a fight. 

34 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

When exactly did it become the norm to count early access previews as part of the OW numbers? WB didn’t do that with Aquaman or Shazam!

Good question because I remember the fit people threw over WB initially reporting their Walmart presale in with opening weekend, but those were separated out.

Sony probably make a right decision to move GT to this weekend. Without NCD, GT would still make like $17-ish OW but with NCD, they can keep that $17m OW but with far higher admission they would never get otherwise. Sunday alone was 1.1m admission for GT and that is $16m by normal ticket price.