Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

“You’re not actually going to allow them to do that, are you?” Such are the gripes across the City of Angels from rival distributors about Sony’s public-facing acknowledgment that they’ve previewed Gran Turismo over the last two weekends, lagniappe box office which will be included in Friday’s total.

Yesterday starting from 2PM showtimes, the feature take of the Sony Playstation game earned $1.4M at 3,156 theaters, including PLF and Imax monies. The Neill Blomkamp directed movie has a shot at No. 1 this weekend making $12M-$15M at 3,800 theaters

In major markets such as LA, cinemas have been playing Gran Turismo on Friday, Saturday and Sunday; two weekends back-to-back. We’ve heard that preview cash has amounted to $3M+, but Sony hasn’t verified that yet.

Box Office: ‘Gran Turismo’ Makes $1.4M In Previews – Deadline

• Like 1

Really curios to see Barbie's multiplier this weekend (vs Thursday number). Last 4 weekends weekend multipliers (vs Thursday numbers) were 4.38, 4.49, 4.73, 5.43. It's been increasing steadily...with summer holidays done in most of the country, think we can expect a better multiplier this weekend, not to mention the Cinema Day boost on Sunday

That 2pm-5pm window on Sunday is doing solid business for almost all films except for GT (unless it is on a PLF) and TLM which will not be touching $300M this weekend.

Other films, especially BB and TMNT, are performing well during that time frame on Sunday, although business is noticeably lighter before and after the main afternoon hours.

One fun tidbit I noticed when checking the AMC Century City location in Los Angeles on Sunday is that GT has one showing on their IMAX screen, BB has two showings and Oppy has one. Of the 4 IMAX shows, Oppy has sold about 45% of the total tickets with GT and BB splitting the other 55%. 

GT is doing best in Regal’s 4DX theaters as it should as that is exactly the type of movie to be experienced in that format. Outside of that, it is not going to be an impressive weekend for the film.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 4

A little too early to make judgements about Sundays numbers for any films. It was only announced Monday and many people still aren’t aware of the deal. As people go searching for weekend showtimes awareness will increase, as will word of mouth from those who bought cheap tickets telling their friends about it. 

GT and Barbie will fight for #1. 
Will be crazy if Barbie gets it again.

BB dropped another 24% on Thursday, definitely hurt by losing PLF and some IMAX showtimes. Sunday however should save it from a huge 2nd weekend decline.

I also mentioned this in the tracking thread; Bottoms is having quite a good showing in limited release this weekend in 10 theatres. Many of the shows are packed. For an R Rated comedy, it’s an interesting strategy that might actually work. Critic score is 99%.

• Like 1

I would just really like to see Blomkamp have a hit under his belt; it’ll encourage the studios to allow him to make something like District 9 or Elysium again. While I didn’t love Elysium, I love to see sci-fi auteurs get chances with original projects. Gran Turismo, if it catches on, could be a gateway to that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I would just really like to see Blomkamp have a hit under his belt; it’ll encourage the studios to allow him to make something like District 9 or Elysium again. While I didn’t love Elysium, I love to see sci-fi auteurs get chances with original projects. Gran Turismo, if it catches on, could be a gateway to that.

Feels like he’s jinxed. 

Rewatched district 9 and the racial metaphors are next level poor but the film-making on display reminded me of young Boyle. Shame to see what he made next, but GT looks somewhat like a recovery at least. If nothing else, it looks like a new member to add to the increasing collection of movies that largely exist as drone tech demos (see also: ambulance, the grey man)

44 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

GT is doing best in Regal’s 4DX theaters as it should as that is exactly the type of movie to be experienced in that format. Outside of that, it is not going to be an impressive weekend for the film.

I saw GT in 4DX and it is absolute blast. Seldom see 4DX format improve a movie experience this much. 

Now the movie RT score goes up to 61% and audience score of 99%, Blomkamp return to big screen at least isn't a total disaster. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I just got an email from Warner Bros about Meg 2 being available for purchase on home video. Sheesh, that’s a quick jump from theaters to home video. 

I think it’s only PVOD for now, 21 days. 

Edited by Krissykins