Giorno

9/29-10/1 Weekend Thread

I don't know why they even bother opening up theaters every weekend anymore. Just go straight to the roadshow model and open once a month for Taylor Swift or Top Gun or whatever. It's just so fucking sad and disheartening.

Top this one, CJohn.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know why they even bother opening up theaters every weekend anymore. Just go straight to the roadshow model and open once a month for Taylor Swift or Top Gun or whatever. It's just so fucking sad and disheartening.

Top this one, CJohn.

This is good and actually true tbh.

What is the point of September in general? Just cancel the whole thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's fucking awful for The Creator with Early Access bundled in. The meh reviews clearly hurt it.

I mean, it is still fresh with 68%. What is needed for people to go to theaters? Shiny Certified Fresh 90%+ scores for every movie? That is unsustainable and impossible, might as well close doors now.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I mean, it is still fresh with 68%. What is needed for people to go to theaters? Shiny Certified Fresh 90%+ scores for every movie? That is unsustainable and impossible, might as well close doors now.

brand recognition

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

My mom and my roommate both declined to see The Creator with me this weekend because it looks too generic and boring for them. And they love sci-fi and aren't like franchise fiends or anything like that. Just something about it clearly not connecting with audiences. Not fun enough, not dark enough, not cool enough, not dark enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Simple. It has to be a nostalgic brand people recognize, but also a brand that isn’t nostalgic to only old white people at the same time. Not a lot of those out there sadly. And if you want to dare make something that isn’t based off a brand, you might as well just give up. People get mad at my pessimism, yet it’s harder every week to not feel pessimistic. Ohhhhhhhhh well.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eric the Creator said:

Simple. It has to be a nostalgic brand people recognize, but also a brand that isn’t nostalgic to only old white people at the same time. Not a lot of those out there sadly. And if you want to dare make something that isn’t based off a brand, you might as well just give up. People get mad at my pessimism, yet it’s harder every week to not feel pessimistic. Ohhhhhhhhh well.

Frankly, I don't think you or even I are pessimistic enough. I'd say cascading series of collapse in theater industry due to inability to turn a profit is going to happen, and once the big structural dominoes fall, there won't be any coming back. I'd say around early next year we get an announcement of mass closures of 200+ AMC and Regals, which leads to a run on stock and then a total bankruptcy and collapse of the movie theater industry. That's my honest prediction for sometime in the near future - though I won't make any promises on exactly when.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nobody’s going to take a chance on mid films with 2023 ticket prices and concessions now.

You can watch mid movies for free on streaming.

If it’s not exceptional you can’t expect GA to turn out.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My mom and my roommate both declined to see The Creator with me this weekend because it looks too generic and boring for them. And they love sci-fi and aren't like franchise fiends or anything like that. Just something about it clearly not connecting with audiences. Not fun enough, not dark enough, not cool enough, not dark enough.

Cap brought up a good point earlier this week where having the movie being about protecting and saving an AI robot feels a little out of touch when so many of us are worried about AI replacing writers and actors and other sectors and industries. Which like…I don’t think that’s the main culprit, but it does kind of feel a tad awkward in hindsight, especially when the best, most successful sci-fi is designed to either be escapist or politically progressive. Or in some cases both.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Valencia said:

Nobody’s going to take a chance on mid films with 2023 ticket prices and concessions now.

You can watch mid movies for free on streaming.

If it’s not exceptional you can’t expect GA to turn out.

has less to do with being "mid" and more with it not being based on anything that has a fanbase, mario got terrible reviews and made 200m in 5 days, even garbage like thor 4 and jwd made insane money despite poor-mediocre reviews