grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Taylor didn’t become a household name in the US until 2009, and didn’t breakthrough in many global markets until 1989. Her trajectory is very different from popstars who were global from the word jump. 

And? Her debut album was one of the biggest albums of the 2000s decade.

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Gaga had Taylor’s cultural cache at her peak, and was a bigger, more global hit maker. Poker Face and Bad Romance might be bigger than any Taylor song. Even Shallow is bigger than any post-1989 song from TS.

Gaga has never sold out a stadium tour in her life.

“Shallow” spent 45 weeks on the Hot 100 and a single week at #1. “Anti-Hero” is still charting on week 51 and spent eight weeks at #1. 

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 2

Just now, Chaz said:

Gaga has never sold out a stadium tour in her life.

Gaga’s Monster Ball Tour was huge and she was only a year into her career. Gaga has chronic health issues, but she still broke stadium records during the Chromatica Ball Tour. Gaga definitely had TS level of cultural cache in 2009-2011. 

Well, it would've been nice if walkups could help the weekend number, but on the other hand I get it. I personally would like to see the doc eventually but I want to wait until the rabid fan hype eases up a bit. Seems like presales for next weekend are pretty brisk though so maybe it can still maintain legs on the strength of that.

Damn 28M Saturday. What would that mean for Sunday? I can't imagine Sunday would have had strong pre-sales. Are we looking at mid 80's?

38M Friday (Including previews)

28M Saturday

18M Sunday?

= 86M OW. I'm completely pulling that Sunday number out of my ass, so I have no clue how accurate it is.

4 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Gaga’s Monster Ball Tour was huge and she was only a year into her career. Gaga has chronic health issues, but she still broke stadium records during the Chromatica Ball Tour. Gaga definitely had TS level of cultural cache in 2009-2011. 

Something that Taylor hasn’t really done vs a lot of the other singers that got to mega star level is change the mainstream music soundscape. This is something Gaga 100% did circa 09-10. She caused an entire sonic shift in the type of music that was popular with tons of artists emulating. Britney also did this. And Elvis, Beatles, MJ, Madonna, etc. I would say that’s the one way Taylor’s impact pales a bit. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What stadium records? She only played a handful of stadiums in Europe. The rest were all arenas.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Something that Taylor hasn’t really done vs a lot of the other singers that got to mega star level is change the mainstream music soundscape. This is something Gaga 100% did circa 09-10. She caused an entire sonic shift in the type of music that was popular with tons of artists emulating. Britney also did this. And Elvis, Beatles, MJ, Madonna, etc. I would say that’s the one way Taylor’s impact pales a bit. 

Yeah, I would say Gaga and Lana are the most influential artists (21st century) in terms of changing the soundscape of popular music

• Like 1

Taylor is more in the business of taking popular music trends and putting her own spin on them. Part of her appeal at this point is that her music is such a variety in genres, indeed that's the whole draw of the "Eras" branding.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Yeah, I would say Gaga and Lana are the most influential artists (21st century) in terms of changing the soundscape of popular music

Haha and I was just gonna bring up too that ironically Taylor’s pop sound owes a ton to Lana’s cues, despite Lana never being a mainstream hitmaker

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Haha and I was just gonna bring up too that ironically Taylor’s pop sound owes a ton to Lana’s cues, despite Lana never being a mainstream hitmaker

So, Taylor, who had two #1 singles on the Pop charts in 2009, two top twenty singles on the Pop charts in 2007/2008, owes her sound to Lana, who released her breakthrough “Video Games” in 2011? And her Max Martin-produced smashes like “Shake It Off,” “Bad Blood” and “Blank Space” to Lana as well? 

Oof.

Crowd report for the last 5 showings at AMC Mission Valley, one of busiest theater in San Diego:

9:15 showing:  1/123 seats

9:30 showing: 1/300

9:45 showing: 3/152

10:15 showing: 4/236

10:45 showing: 0/300

9 sold / 1111 seats available

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chaz said:

So, Taylor, who had two #1 singles on the Pop charts in 2009, two top twenty singles on the Pop charts in 2007/2008, owes her sound to Lana, who released her breakthrough “Video Games” in 2011? And her Max Martin-produced smashes like “Shake It Off,” “Bad Blood” and “Blank Space” to Lana as well? 

Oof.

I meant when she shifted to her pop star sound during 1989. She was always doing the pop-country thing before that. And yes, her pop albums since then have taken a lot of cues from Lana. Pretty sure she also says that’s her biggest inspo no? 

• Like 1