XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Just pointing out the irony in your observation that people are too hard on screenwriters. I don’t really feel like fighting about this. 

There is no irony in my post. You simply got upset that I said that a screenwriter that you liked wasn't cut out for the blockbuster game. We definitely won't be speaking again. Have a good day. 

33 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Funny you brought up Chris Terrio, because not only was BvS severely cut down for theaters, but TRoS suffered from exactly what you’re referring to. By all accounts, the production on the movie was a complete mess, and the script was constantly being rewritten. It’s probably not fair to pin all the blame on Terrio. 

I don’t disagree with you in general about this, but I will say that the Martha scene really could’ve been written differently.

27 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Yeah that's what worries me about Waldron.

You have an ongoing universe here that's filled with moving parts and has been since 2008. You can't just drop everything you don't like about it.

Doing so leads to a Last Jedi + Rise of Skywalker repeat.

I haven’t noticed that about him myself, but if what you say is true then I agree that’s worrying.

23 minutes ago, Zak said:

There is no good cut of BvS and I'm not putting ALL of the blame on him for either film. Nowhere in my post do I even imply such a thing. 

I actually disagree about that, but I know I’m in the minority here. I’m just easy to please I guess.

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I don’t disagree with you in general about this, but I will say that the Martha scene really could’ve been written differently.

I haven’t noticed that about him myself, but if what you say is true then I agree that’s worrying.

I actually disagree about that, but I know I’m in the minority here. I’m just easy to please I guess.

The thing is, I wasn’t even trying to start some argument about BvS, especially not in an MCU thread. I just thought I’d point out that Chris Terrio is another example of a Hollywood screenwriter who’s had bad luck with studios. 

Anyway, I don’t have any strong opinions one way or the other about Michael Waldron writing both Avengers movies. We’ll see how it goes I guess. I’m not even sure whether or not it’s a good thing that Marvel apparently isn’t being reactionary enough to just scrap Kang Dynasty.  

Increasingly struggling to even care about the next two Avengers films. Infinity War/End Game. Am kind of shocked looking at the build up to both series as I thought the build up to Infinity War would have had more films,

MCU had 18 films in the build up to Infinity War. Post Endgame there will have been 16 films based on the current slate. I get there’s multiple films still to come but it really doesn’t feel like they will have moved forward at all before the next Avengers.

I know it’s slays going to be a multiverse film but we really are just going to get 2.5 hours of the illuminati stuff from MoM aren’t we? *shudders*

23 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

For all we know, that's not even the title anymore. If it does change, we probably wouldn't know until D23 next year.

Not a bad theory. At the very least, the fact that the movie has a new writer would suggest that they’re planning to go in a bit of a different direction. 

Firing Feige is going to make things worse. There is no one who has ever did what Feige did. He was a great improvisor. Feige is not perfect of course but he and his team are the only ones who made a blockbuster cinematic universe work for over a decade (The Conjuring Universe is a big success but is smaller and horror focused). 

Iger did Disney as a whole dirty with the Disney Plus experiment. Feige has obviously been overwhelmed by having to introduce 30 new heroes to fill that overrated app.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zak said:

I think sometimes we are too hard on blockbuster screenwriters. They are being pulled in a million different directions. It's no wonder any blockbuster turns out good. Don't get me wrong, some writers are just not cut out for dealing with the director and studio stuff in the blockbuster realm. Chris Terrio, for instance, should never be allowed to get near another blockbuster screenplay after Batman v Superman and Rise of Skywalker. 

Michael Waldron is still a question mark. Sure Multiverse of Madness screenplay sucked but it didn't suck enough for me to believe that he doesn't deserve another shot. Maybe he'll crush the Avengers movies? We'll see. They don't need a genius screenwriter, just one that can handle all of the blockbuster nonsense well enough.

literally we know from America chavez's actor how many times he had to rewrite MoM lol 

he did a decent enough job considering the people above him had no idea what they wanted the story to be

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zak said:

Firing Feige is going to make things worse. There is no one who has ever did what Feige did. He was a great improvisor. Feige is not perfect of course but he and his team are the only ones who made a blockbuster cinematic universe work for over a decade (The Conjuring Universe is a big success but is smaller and horror focused). 

Iger did Disney as a whole dirty with the Disney Plus experiment. Feige has obviously been overwhelmed by having to introduce 30 new heroes to fill that overrated app.

Part of Feige’s job needs to be to build up successors and there’s no sign right now which is by definition destabilising for the MCU. Economics simply are if the MCU keeps losing money either they change it up or kill it.

RE Conjuring - it’s not a universe imo; it’s traditional spin offs based around the central pillar which is the Conjuring films. 

6 hours ago, Sckathian said:

I know it’s slays going to be a multiverse film but we really are just going to get 2.5 hours of the illuminati stuff from MoM aren’t we? *shudders*

I think it’s going to be more like the TVA stuff from Loki in Deadpool, with lots of past Marvel heroes being visited.

8 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Endgame's script is also bad :Venom:

Endgame script is that increasingly crude horse drawing meme. First 45 mins of the world dealing with the aftermath is by far the most interesting, and should have been its own movie. The time travel shenanigans are a moderately fun “look how far we’ve come” victory lap that outstay their welcome, and the final green screen battle where each character gets their hero pose is boring as fuck. 

It made all the money in the world so who am I to criticise the product, but coming after the much superior infinity war probably didn’t help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Endgame script is that increasingly crude horse drawing meme. First 45 mins of the world dealing with the aftermath is by far the most interesting, and should have been its own movie. The time travel shenanigans are a moderately fun “look how far we’ve come” victory lap that outstay their welcome, and the final green screen battle where each character gets their hero pose is boring as fuck. 

It made all the money in the world so who am I to criticise the product, but coming after the much superior infinity war probably didn’t help.

I've always said we should've gotten a movie or a TV show in between the two of them literally just dealing with that. It didn't need to affect the main story at all, just some mid-level superhero dealing with a world in grief and the trouble that came with it (Hawkeye comes to mind).

But in the end all we got were a couple of OK TV shows and a Spider-Man movie dealing with the consequences of these people disappearing and then coming back(and the Spider-man movie only tangentially), rather than anything during that time period itself.

Lost opportunity there.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, SpiderByte said:

I don't know what exactly you think is gonna be drastically different from Deadpool 2 to 3. The writers are the same as the first two, the actor is the same, most of the cast is returning, everyone involved with the production from literally the day they announced the Fox acquisition has said it's still going to be just as R rated as the last two.

I admire your optimism that Disney's involvement won't have a negative effect.

• Like 1