XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

6 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

That big newish Ringer-MCU book didn't say that about Larson but it did argue Marvel really struggled to put together a creative team for the film because the core concept of it kept changing to slot into Endgame/Infinity War duology. Ironically, it's exactly the same "problem with not thinking things out" people argue the MCU avoids.

Not at all surprised to hear that. Marvel should have just done what people asked and instead of having to shove a new character in before Endgame at the last second, gave Black Widow her own movie. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

That's surprising considering the story has almost nothing to do with the actual stories of either of them aside from the very end scene with the pager

I agree! However, a large part of the problem seemed to be Marvel couldn't quickly settle on even a core pitch of the film. Here's three separate quotes from within a few pages of each other.

[writers hired in mid 2015 talking about it] because as Marvel Studios hurtled toward Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, it kept tinkering with its plans for how Phase Three would work, and how Captain Marvel would fit in. “That process went on for well over a year and a half. They would talk about it whenever they had time between shooting everything else,” Perlman said. “And every time we talked about it, something different had changed with what they were going to do with the Avengers. So it wasn’t a straightforward ‘Just come up with a great story.’ It was, ‘Come up with five different versions of what this could look like.’ And ‘Here are five and then we’ll talk about what’s working from each of them and then we’ll do it again.’ It was iterative.”

...Given those complications, the writers had a hard time deciding on the ideal era for Captain Marvel.

The studio was having trouble hiring a director, because it was hard to attract talent to a movie whose concept was still inchoate and clearly secondary to the two upcoming Avengers movies

“We didn’t write a treatment or anything, but we discussed the idea of setting it in the sixties,” Perlman said. “But then Hidden Figures was coming out, and we didn’t want to set something in the same time period. We briefly talked about the eighties and then we were like, ‘No, let’s do it in the nineties.’ So we did some drafts where Y2K was a thing, where that was an excuse for covering up some wackiness. But how do you keep it off the radar of everybody?”

And the writers were basically cracking Endgame from scratch in mid 2015 as well (Fall 2015 is when they latched onto the idea to use Quantum Realm to do time travel shenanigans). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Astonished 1

Loki just picked up four major Critics Choice nominations, Drama, Actor (Hiddleston), Supporting Actress (Sophia DiMartino), and Supporting Actor (Ke Huy Quan). Obviously early to say since it's not part of the current Emmy cycle, but it's a positive sign for awards chances next cycle

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Willowra said:

Actually no one has been a massive part of any film since Endgame(Only DS had some major role in NWH). There isn't any Avengers movie in phase 4 or 5 & they haven't announced Avengers 5 cast yet, so no one actually knows who is important and who isn't.

Ummm this is all Wong.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Loki just picked up four major Critics Choice nominations, Drama, Actor (Hiddleston), Supporting Actress (Sophia DiMartino), and Supporting Actor (Ke Huy Quan). Obviously early to say since it's not part of the current Emmy cycle, but it's a positive sign for awards chances next cycle

Honestly, I'm surprised Ke Huy Quan is picked up for Supporting Actor from Loki.

Don't misunderstand me, he is a pretty good actor, but I though Owen Wilson (Mobius) has a bigger role as actor in Loki.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Don't misunderstand me, he is a pretty good actor, but I though Owen Wilson (Mobius) has a bigger role as actor in Loki.

True, but he's such a fun character and also coming right off an Oscar, it makes sense he gets more shine. The real surprise is DiMartino since...well she isn't bad but she's a much more major part of the first season than the second imo

• Like 1

But then Hidden Figures was coming out, and we didn’t want to set something in the same time period.

Having it in the 90s clearly helped it stand out from other nostalgia rests but I have to say this quote left out at me. Like wtf goes through these peoples heads?!

I really don’t understand why Marvel have such a difficult time with Captain Marvel. It’s a fairly cookie cutter character who hey could have brought depth to if they had wanted. 

Also interesting to see a direct quote that the MCU beast is impacting their ability to get directorial talent for their films. Which I think we all speculate on but clearly played a role here.

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Those set photos are too well-shot to be actual leaks. After the awful year Marvel's had they need all the goodwill they can get, and "leaking" these photos to geek outlets is a good way to get some. This statement reads like a cheeky joke to me, poking fun at Marvel's spoiler pearl-clutching. Ryan once again proves how much of a professional he is in marketing.

30 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Those set photos are too well-shot to be actual leaks. After the awful year Marvel's had they need all the goodwill they can get, and "leaking" these photos to geek outlets is a good way to get some. This statement reads like a cheeky joke to me, poking fun at Marvel's spoiler pearl-clutching. Ryan once again proves how much of a professional he is in marketing.

...how on earth is it too implausible to be someone with a camera? Set photos are not an unheard of thing. Nearly all Marvel productions have had them. One of Iron Man's even made it into the final movie!

I know you're one of the residents marvel antis but not everything that happens is a conspiracy

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Now I really love Ryan Reynolds..................The more practical effects and actual locations the better.

Levy's talked about how he wants as much as practical as possible. Obviously stuff like Colossus is still CGI but yeah, the downside to filming outside scenes actually outside: everyone else is outside too

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Levy's talked about how he wants as much as practical as possible. Obviously stuff like Colossus is still CGI but yeah, the downside to filming outside scenes actually outside: everyone else is outside too

And I ma not impressed by some CGI "LOcation work" done in the M CU. The San Francisco scenes in Ant Man 2 looked really phony, the Fisherman Wharf stuff in particularl. It got laughed off the screen in the Bay Area.]Compare to the San Francisco scenes in Shang Chi, which were done as much on location as possible.

22 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I'll never understand people complaining about "quiet moments slowing the pacing". Giving the audience a chance to breath is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Watching any classic films pre-2000 with my Ex was like watching Mel Gibson disemboweled at the end of Braveheart. Pure torture...

...for both of us.

(She was 10 years younger than me, and her attention span could be measured in nanoseconds 🤣)

• ...wtf 1

23 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I'll never understand people complaining about "quiet moments slowing the pacing". Giving the audience a chance to breath is a good thing, not a bad thing.

But eddyxx, i thought a movie is automatically bad if it doesnt feature at least 4 1/2 huge explosions every two minutes??