Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

isn't that a good thing? people might hopefully fingers crossed forget about that show. :lol: Oh wait, there's Thunderbolts to remind them! :hahaha:

Cap 4 could theoretically get away with completely ignoring the show. But as you pointed out, Thunderbolts really can't.

I just got out of an almost private screening of The Marvels and it was okay. This is a perfect movie to see on a lazy afternoon but now people wait for streaming. 5/10.  

Edited by JimmyB

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Solo was a failure, but it’s not on the all time biggest losers list like those movies (and this one soon to be). Indy 5 and TM are pretty much the first time we’ve ever seen a franchise behemoth bomb in this ways. Though admittedly it’s because of insane budget with Indy’s 

It should be though. It cost 275-300M and over 400M when marketing gets added. They lost 200M on that thing.

Edited by DInky

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Solo was a failure, but it’s not on the all time biggest losers list like those movies (and this one soon to be). Indy 5 and TM are pretty much the first time we’ve ever seen a franchise behemoth bomb in this ways. Though admittedly it’s because of insane budget with Indy’s 

Solo would have been a gigantic failure for the ages if Disney disclosed how much it really cost with all the reshoots they did. But they only reported 250M although industry estimated it was closer to 400M. 

EDIT: Yes, Madame Web will out-Morbius Morbius.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DInky said:

It should be though. It cost 265-300M, probably over 400M when marketing gets added. They lost 200M on that thing.

Solo actually had a respectable DOM showing, which goes a very long way in getting you off the biggest losers list. DOM share is far higher for studios than OS. It might be on the list since that budget was bonkers, but it might also not be since $215m from DOM alone is still covering the bulk of the budget. 

Edit: unless budget actually was 400, but that seems very hard to believe to me 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Solo would have been a gigantic failure for the ages if Disney disclosed how much it really cost with all the reshoots they did. But they only reported 250M although industry estimated it was closer to 400M. 

Even if we assume it only cost 250M and they only spent 100M on marketing then they still lost around 150M.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Solo actually had a respectable DOM showing, which goes a very long way in getting you off the biggest losers list. DOM share is far higher for studios than OS. It might be on the list since that budget was bonkers, but it might also not be since $215m from DOM alone is still covering the bulk of the budget. 

Let's do the math then. What's the dom split? 60/40? So 129M from domestic box office and let's be generous and say 50/50 international split so 90M from international box office. 350M (the minimum they spent on production+marketing) vs 220M. Still a 130M loss.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

It’s interesting for Solo to come up though because we saw how that failure drastically impacted a massive franchise and Disney’s decision with it. Let’s not forget that before Solo, Disney was full steam ahead on MULTIPLE Star Wars movies every year until the day we pretty much all die. Then boom, just like that no more SW movies getting made for years.

And people think I’m hyperbolic about the effects 3  consecutive mega bombs will have on MCU… 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Edit: unless budget actually was 400, but that seems very hard to believe to me 

Directors were fired at the very end of shooting and then the new director practically shot the movie all over again, much bigger shoot than simple reshoots, to change the tone of the movie. So closer to 400M (300M+) sounds right.

5 minutes ago, DInky said:

Let's do the math then. What's the dom split? 60/40? So 129M from domestic box office and let's be generous and say 50/50 international split so 90M from international box office. 350M (the minimum they spent on production+marketing) vs 220M. Still a 130M loss.

Probably on the list for sure, but don’t think it’s quite an all-timer. Stuff like John Carter, Mars Needs Moms, Lone Ranger, Strange World, Battleship, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Mortal Engines, Indy, and soon this likely all lost more than 130 (and maybe some I’m forgetting).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s interesting for Solo to come up though because we saw how that failure drastically impacted a massive franchise and Disney’s decision with it. Let’s not forget that before Solo, Disney was full steam ahead on MULTIPLE Star Wars movies every year until the day we pretty much all die. Then boom, just like that no more SW movies getting made for years.

And people think I’m hyperbolic about the effects 3  consecutive mega bombs will have on MCU… 

I think there's a big difference. MCU produced over 20 movies from different IPs across over a decade before bombs started to happen. OTOH, SW just got a revival and then TLJ pretty harsh drop from TFA, divisive reaction that still rages, Solo undisputed bomb and TROS losing 50% of TFA audience must have come as a shock since they happenbed within 4 years of the re-launch. So they panicked and retreated to D+ where they had a cultural phenomenon Mando. In short, unlike MCU that took early risks which paid dividents, Lucasfilm shat its pants after the first setback and gave up. I mena, TFA was the safest most fanservice thing ever. They never took risks. Ever. 

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Probably on the list for sure, but don’t think it’s quite an all-timer. Stuff like John Carter, Mars Needs Moms, Lone Ranger, Strange World, Battleship, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Mortal Engines, Indy, and soon this likely all lost more than 130 (and maybe some I’m forgetting).  

It's understandable that you forgot The Flash. :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think there's a big difference. MCU produced over 20 movies from different IPs across over a decade before bombs started to happen. OTOH, SW just got a revival and then TLJ pretty harsh drop from TFA, divisive reaction that still rages, Solo undisputed bomb and TROS losing 50% of TFA audience must have come as a shock since they happenbed within 4 years of the re-launch. So they panicked and retreated to D+ where they had a cultural phenomenon Mando. In short, unlike MCU that took early risks which paid dividents, Lucasfilm shat its pants after the first setback and gave up. I mena, TFA was the safest most fanservice thing ever. They never took risks. Ever. 

I get your point, but TLJ was probably the biggest franchise risk of all time (one that definitely did not pay off)… 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Kraven the hunter is another bomb waiting to happen

The CBM genre is imploding honestly. I’m not even sold on DP3 being big (but it won’t bomb either). Joker 2 is it for what I have confidence in over the next couple years, but I also don’t consider the franchise CBM in the first place. Especially taking it musical direction.

The Batman 2 is also set up for huge success if we get BB to TDK situation as far as quality. The parallels to BB are already there. So TLDR: it’s all fucked except Batman related things. And animation, they should take cues from Spiderverse bc CBM animation is still incredibly untapped for potential. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Do we know Madame Web’s budget estimate at all yet? That will absolutely be joining the all-timers if it’s anything as high as normal blockbuster budgets these days. 

I doubt it's more than 100M.