Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

2 hours ago, Eric Danvers said:

Re: Deadpool

See, I have doubts on that movie too. People insisted that Guardians 3 wouldn't get hurt by the last Marvel movies sucking, and it almost could have. It had awful presales up until the last minute, and I blame that entirely on Ant-Man 3 (and also Majors being an abusive asshole) destroying all fan morale right there. And the only reason it got to a respectable total (though still below Guardians 2, which nobody predicted until presales hit) was because it had some of the best WOM for a Marvel movie in ages.

Deadpool's in the same boat where the last movie came out an eternity ago, like Guardians 2 was, except those guys still made other appearances. The promise of Fox multiverse shenanigans might also get hurt by Doctor Strange 2 and the "fool me once" mentality, as well as being pretty underwhelming. When the press is hyping up the return of Jennifer Garner as Elektra as one of your big selling points, that's a little concerning.

And even with Wolverine, the big difference between him and the Spider-Men was that Maguire and Garfield were coming off incomplete franchises and still had their stories to tell to get people hyped. Hugh Jackman was in movies that grossed way less than those films and he had probably the greatest send-off for any superhero character ever with Logan. Getting him back for cheap fanservice won't fly with Marvel fans.

I guess O/U 300M could still happen, but I think that will disappoint big time and won't help the MCU's state at all.

I get what you're saying and its totally possible, but Guardians 3 is very different from Deadpool 3. 

1. GOTG vol 3 was just another Guardians film and didn't really promise much in terms of continuing the overreaching multiverse storyline 

2. Hugh Jackman announcement interactions are super nuts on twitter which tells me people are at least aware of the upcoming project

3. Cameos and multiverse storylines in the MCU sells tickets 

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I get your point, but TLJ was probably the biggest franchise risk of all time (one that definitely did not pay off)… 

Yeah to me they wanted to make a franchise for a new audience but pretty much mostly everyone who was watching TFA was either A Prequel or Original movies fan.

From what I can see Star Wars has the biggest fanbase of any franchise in North America. Even Rogue one Made 500 million dollars and that was an off shoot. 

Where many new people watching Star wars movies ? I feel it was like less then 1%. 

Edited by Torontofan

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

IFF Gunn executes Supes like he can, it should do well. Its been eons since we have had a well made Supes movie. I did not like last 2 iterations even though Cavill himself was not the issue(Routh on the other hand was just terrible)

I mean… that precisely why we should all be highly skeptical. It’s been accepted for a long time now that Supes just doesn’t resonate as a modern superhero. Now, maybe Gunn reinvents the character and it works, but there’s also of course big risk in that too. I wouldn’t put any eggs in a Superman basket until we see box office receipts. 

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean… that precisely why we should all be highly skeptical. It’s been accepted for a long time now that Supes just doesn’t resonate as a modern superhero. Now, maybe Gunn reinvents the character and it works, but there’s also of course big risk in that too. I wouldn’t put any eggs in a Superman basket until we see box office receipts. 

That is why I put in a capital IF. But Gunn is competent writer/director and he should not have studio interference impact here considering he is running DC side of business. It also also be more hopeful unlike Snyderverse and less derivative than what Singer did. But its definitely not a sure fire hit or anything. let us wait for 1st trailer or something. Since its ready for production and cast is there I expect movie production to start as planned. May be we will get something during comic con next year. This will need a teaser to build hype. Its like what they did in 89. Keaton was controversial and so they released a teaser to calm down the fans. 

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Replace DP3 with Spiderverse 3 and agreed (if a Spidey 4 even happens). 

DP3 won't flop cause it will open big, too much curiosity over Reynolds-Jackman pairing will take care of that, but yes BTSV aka Spiderverse 3 will be among SH hits. BTSV, DP3, TB2, Jokka 2, SM 4 if ever made. The rest? Not likely by the look of slate on all sides of SH spectrum (Sony, MCU, DCEU).

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

DP3 won't flop cause it will open big, too much curiosity over Reynolds-Jackman pairing will take care of that, but yes BTSV aka Spiderverse 3 will be among SH hits. BTSV, DP3, TB2, Jokka 2, SM 4 if ever made. The rest? Not likely by the look of slate on all sides of SH spectrum (Sony, MCU, DCEU).

What's TB2?

19 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Yeah to me they wanted to make a franchise for a new audience but pretty much mostly everyone who was watching TFA was either A Prequel or Original movies fan.

From what I can see Star Wars has the biggest fanbase of any franchise in North America. Even Rogue one Made 500 million dollars and that was an off shoot. 

Where many new people watching Star wars movies ? I feel it was like less then 1%. 

TFA notoriously skewed male over 35 and the same happened with Amazon's LOTR. Some IPs simply don't draw new generations and you can see why. If you grow up on GOT and then Euphoria, you won't care for IPs from your parents and grandparents era.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Batman 2 will do well but decrease from the original I think. First one had some novelty Pattinson becoming Bats and the look of the film but I’m not sure it had much audience staying power 

I think that some expect Joker bump for TB 2 like TDK since he's the most popular of Bats villains. But that movie captured the zeitgeist beyind just Joker's presence plus there was Ledger's death so how much Joker alone proped it is hard to say. The character is wildly popular, though, since Phoenix version bcame first ever R movie to crack a billie. We'll see. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Deadline...

Marvels - $47-55M OW / $21-22M Total Friday

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

FNAF will take 2nd - $2.6M Fri / $7.8M weekend

ZauDgIZ.png

• Haha 1