PanaMovie

Wonka - OS Thread - 410.3M OS - 628.3M WW

Wonka is one of the best suit movie for holiday. I am quite certain that all the good will built from pre-Christmas will peak from now to New Year. The overseas grosses have been the most impressive part for Wonka. It beats the Johnny deep version in 2005 easily when JD when at his popularity peak. This caught me by surprise because I always thought willy wonka is more American pop culture. 

Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Heyday Films’ Wonka had a sweet weekend with an estimated $39.1M in 77 overseas markets for a jump of 17% from last session. The offshore cume is now $244.4M with global at $386.9M (which includes domestic’s Monday estimate). Increases were seen in France (+92%), Netherlands (+60%), Germany (+40%), Italy (+29%), Argentina (+29%), Mexico (+20%), Australia (+12%) and Spain (+8%). Additional strong holds were seen in the UK (-8%), Brazil (-9%) and Japan (-15%).

The Top 5 markets are the UK ($55.3M), Mexico ($19.7M), France ($16.2M), Germany ($14.9M) and Australia ($13.9M). In Imax, Wonka’s global total is $14.5M.

Korea is the last market to release and is set to debut on January 31.  

31 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

600m+ finish, not by much 

Are legs slowing down overseas or something? I though for sure this would blow past $600M. Maybe I was too optimistic 🤷‍♂️ still a great performance

42 minutes ago, dallas said:

Are legs slowing down overseas or something? I though for sure this would blow past $600M. Maybe I was too optimistic 🤷‍♂️ still a great performance

NWH has about 28% of the grosses came after new year whereas avatar got 38%. If wonka followed NWH from here even 550m is a stretch. Avatar 2 legs would get wonka to 640+ since avatar got a very strong post new year 4th weekend hold across western hemisphere. So anything borderline 600m is my guess since there is one last major market up for release for wonka in South Korea. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

NWH has about 28% of the grosses came after new year whereas avatar got 38%. If wonka followed NWH from here even 550m is a stretch. Avatar 2 legs would get wonka to 640+ since avatar got a very strong post new year 4th weekend hold across western hemisphere. So anything borderline 600m is my guess since there is one last major market up for release for wonka in South Korea. 

Sure but January & February are practically empty and Wonka seems to be the clear choice for most people in terms of what to watch. I also don't think Wonka is nearly as frontloaded as NWH or Avatar 2 

25 minutes ago, dallas said:

Sure but January & February are practically empty and Wonka seems to be the clear choice for most people in terms of what to watch. I also don't think Wonka is nearly as frontloaded as NWH or Avatar 2 

Ava2 wasn't frontloaded and NWH's legs are a wonky comparison because covid shenanigans backloaded part of its gross.

23 minutes ago, dallas said:

But January and February for 2022 and 2023 have been empty. 2024 doesn’t seem too different from previous two years. Also, wonka may not as frontloaded as NWH but actually is pretty on par or weaker in many territories in Asia as compared to avatar 2. 

Deadline: Wonka added $28.9M, also in 77 overseas markets. The drop was a terrific 27% and holds are strong including in Netherlands (+6%), Brazil (-16%), France (-17%), Spain (-17%), Italy (-22%), Mexico (-26%), Australia (-26%), Germany (-32%), and Japan (-33%).

The international cume to date is $301.2M with global at $465.8M, well on the way to $500M+ in the coming weeks. IMAX reps $16.1M worldwide. Korea, which has a fondness for Hollywood musicals, is the final market to release and is dated on January 31. 

The Top 5 markets so far are the UK ($67.2M), France ($22.7M), Germany ($18.6M), Australia ($18.1M) and Netherlands ($10.9M) --- note: they forgot Mexico, which should be close or above France.

• Thanks 1

If wouldn’t for SK still on its way, I will start my doubt if this can pass 600m. Anyway, the holds post-holiday hasn’t been good. Probably the holiday feel good tone means there is no more hook for people to seek out the movie after the holiday. 

I’m curious why the tone around this film’s performance is so negative on here? Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think $500 million world wide was being predicted for it a few months ago, so anything beyond that is stellar to me. Am I missing something?