Rorschach

RRX: Be Kind, Rewind Decade Retrospective

November

MBWII: The Second Monster Bug Wars

Spoiler
Spoiler

Now, normally, I don’t disapprove of random fuckery occurring in films, provided it feels justified and/or funny, but man, that cameo in the third act took me out for a minute or two. Took a dumb fun film and just made it plain dumb for the sake of it. At least this film is not a literal scam like the two copycat spin-off films that came before it.

The Second Water War

Spoiler
Spoiler

I can’t even recall the first Water War flick (I don’t even remember what year it came out, tbh). Not that it matters, either way; this is pretty much standard kids’ fodder with a fun ski resort setting and some decent messages about privilege & class division. Not substantially special, but it’s not like this was made with hefty ambitious storytelling in mind—an okay winter season timewaster at the theater.

Soil

Spoiler
Spoiler

Not exactly an easy film to talk or write about, that’s for sure. I even had to go back and re-read it again just to fully wrap my head around it, given how subtle certain scenes in this play out (not a bad thing, whatsoever). It wasn’t until I read McKill’s Top 25 write-up that the story’s intentions fully clicked for me: written from the perspective of an outsider providing a certain service to those in need, it intentionally keeps you at a distance, but never enough to come off as cold and detached. It approaches its subject matter with deep empathy – heavily anchored by a heartwrenching performance from Sophie Bartlett – and overall feels like a much-needed, reassuring hug (a quality that I’ve noticed quite a few films from this year share in common). Probably the one film from this year that’s really stuck with me for some time after reading it.

The Unseen

Spoiler
Spoiler

Found this one decently compelling, up until the very end when it hammers home its faith-based messaging in a way that, personally, just didn’t sit right for me. On top of that, the abrupt and unsatisfying conclusion just completely sours the experience altogether. It's a well-intentioned film, no doubt about that, but in execution, it leaves so much to be desired.

3 Hearts, 3 Fires

Spoiler

More like Baddy G, amirite?

For Queen and Country

Spoiler

See my Red Flag review.

Let's Eat Dad

Spoiler

It’s fair to say that the last couple of years have made me extremely ambivalent towards Taika Waititi, who followed up his Oscar-winning Jojo Rabbit with two mediocre duds that have inadvertently soured me on him as a filmmaker. With that said, I don’t hate the guy, considering he co-directed one of my favorite comedies from the 2010s, so I’m willing to give anything he does a shot. This brings us to his newest film, which in a lot of ways feels like a mini return to form more in line with his earlier works. I dug the main premise, and, as McKill said, I like how it carefully sweeps the rug out from under you of what’s truly about into something much more thoughtful. Though I will admit that the zany comedy here (a lot of which deals with Chris Pine’s villain character towards the end) works a little less than the actual dramatic core of the narrative, I think that said narrative is strong enough to overcome some of the mixed-bag humor thrown at you. Wagner Moura and Dedé Santana are clear standouts here, especially the latter as the titular dad character. For sure, one of the more memorable films to come out of this year.

King of Kings

Spoiler

Yeah, the white-washed casting here does bring a bit of sour baggage to the experience, but I won’t lie and say that I didn’t still enjoy it for what it was – a big-budget, sword-and-sandals biblical epic that delivers on spectacle, with some good performances at its center. Not bad.

More Than Just a Residency

Spoiler

Slay!!!

The Quest for Buster's Bones

Spoiler

Yeah, I liked this one. The commitment to the old-school style of animation alone is enough to scratch a bit of a nostalgic itch for me, and the actual story itself, simple as it is, ain’t half bad, leading to some very fun cartoon antics that got quite a few laughs out of me. A good watch.

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Spoiler

First and foremost, this film (and, by extension, the source material it's based on) owes a lot to Cloud Atlas. Some might take more of an issue with this than others, as there are times when this feels pretty derivative of that film’s narrative structure. Rest assured, though, this is not at all an Academy-level blunder. In fact, I’d go as far as to say this film is quite good… mostly. If there is one problem that holds over from Cloud Atlas, it's that not every storyline quite works. In this film’s case, I didn’t find either of the 1400s-era stories all that interesting, whereas I was hooked on the 20th-century, present-day, and distant future stories. Not sure which ones others will gravitate toward but that’s where I land. I found everything about Jake T. Austin’s character – a closeted Korean War veteran librarian who becomes obsessed with translating the fictional titular story – especially compelling and the clear stand-out storyline of the bunch. What I do think the film as a whole pulls off quite well is how it bridges a few of these storylines together in an extremely satisfying fashion, building up to a very riveting second half that pulls everything together into a fitting bow. 

No doubt, an ambitious feature that overcomes its slight familiarity with another (better) film to deliver something that’s at least quite fascinating and thought-provoking.

Meme Run 

Spoiler

*Me contemplating everything I did wrong in my life that led me to the theater showing me this "film".*

77b8aa306bd440db56f8eb6e13b35ec956356102

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Posted (edited)

December

My Winter Retreat

Spoiler
Spoiler

Disappointingly straight and serious for a Rob Zombie picture. You’d think a winter-themed slasher he directed would be at least memorably funny, but neither is the case here. An unfortunate director-for-hire gig for the guy.

SSX Tricky

Spoiler
Spoiler

A decently entertaining action film that amps up the goofiness of its predecessor even more with a “world-ending” threat this go-around. Like the first film, your enjoyment of this hinges on your enjoyment of seeing people rip some powder, which I do, so I got some enjoyment out of it.

Happy Together

Spoiler
Spoiler

Not a lot to say about this one, other than it's trash… my kind of trash. Really hope to see more films like this one in the future.

Gateways II: The Empire of Zenith

Spoiler
Spoiler

Hmmmmmmmm. Admittedly, I’m not as enamored with this as I thought I was hoping to be. It’s a shame because there are a lot of good elements at play here. If there is one thing I’ll give it, it's a clear love letter to several different animation styles, which this showcases and seamlessly blends to form possibly one of the most ambitiously creative big-budget films seen in this game. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, this is near-perfect. But unfortunately, I don’t think the story quite comes together to deliver a fully complete experience. From a slightly repetitive structure in the middle section to an overstuffed cast of characters constantly vying for attention (aside from the titular villain, none of the new characters make much of an impression, tbh), I felt this desperately needed to reign its ambitions in a bit and slim itself down to something just a little more streamlined to feel like a cohesive whole. Certainly, though, you can’t fault it for trying to reach those heights, but I think it needed a stronger foundation to get there. Still, a solid enough picture that’s got a lot on its mind and delivers spectacularly on an audiovisual front.

Hidden Blood

Spoiler

f6b15b24983eea5800a4198bc15e1be9.gif

The Library of Babel

Spoiler
Spoiler

An intriguing idea for a premise, but also far too abstract and limited to work as a feature narrative. There’s only so much interest one can have in a film centered around a guy reading books for 2 hours. Probably a good showcase of why some stories just don’t quite translate into feasible adaptations across other mediums as others. Some good production design, though!

Floodbath: The Play

Spoiler
Spoiler

An admirable experiment, though at times feels like you’re watching a taped stage version of a theme park stunt show. I’ll just stick with the movie version.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

Top 10 DisHonorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):

Spoiler

51 (dir. Jonathan Liebesman)

Spoiler

Adam and Cindy ft. Cersei, in Guinea Piggestt (dir. Barry Sonnenfeld)

Spoiler

Doraemon (dir. Karyn Kusama) 

Spoiler

For Queen and Country (dir. Louis Theroux)

Spoiler

Lions and Dragons (dir. Troy Quane and Nick Bruno)

Spoiler

MBWII: The Second Monster Bug Wars (dir. Beth McCarthy-Miller)

Spoiler

Meme Run (dir. Andy Fickman)

Spoiler

Paranormal Paranormal (dir. Daniel Stamm)

Spoiler

Red Flag (dir. Jason Hehir)

Spoiler

Toppings: A Pizza Romance (dir. Sam Levinson)

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

The Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

a77f04baab7c46239dd828330e06a227.gif

Fishergirls (dir. Chris Wayan)

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Freedom Day (dir. Levan Gabriadze)

Spoiler

e28.gif

Life Picture (dir. Lila Neugebauer)

Spoiler

jack-black-i-cant-even.gif

Old Men Walking (dir. Chris Columbus)

Spoiler

UPGRADE.GIF

Operation Finality (dir. Leigh Whannell)

• Like 2

25-21

Spoiler

tumblr_mjiny3P1V41rmam31o1_500.gif

The Valkyries vs. The Galaxy (dir. Ian Jones-Quartey)

Spoiler

f9101408-64ab-4992-95b5-5e6b42002a4b_tex

Room 131 (dir. Tate Taylor)

Spoiler

pddk60zmqXhi.gif

The Lottery (dir. Sarah Polley)

Spoiler

tumblr_pbfr7xRORo1xp88owo1_500.gif

DC's The Siege of Savage (dir. Jeff Fowler)

Spoiler

darla-poke.gif

Smile (dir. Kirsten Lester)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

20-16

Spoiler

46UFUv.gif

Time After Time (dir. Tom Harper)

Spoiler

c1d9c13dca80fa9838bad0cf759773ba.gif

Tatiana's Journey (dir. Mike Owens and Shadi Petosky)

Spoiler

200w_s.gif?cid=8d8c0358blxl09m8ynruxh53n

Sony v Nintendo (dir. Lisanne Pajot and James Swirsky)

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bjnrw8psb80vrug9noy

The Boy with the Green Eyes (dir. Zach Cregger)

Spoiler

DUU-Va.gif

The Quest for Buster's Bones (dir. Steve Moore)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

15-11

Spoiler
Spoiler

23fdbf0457b4912a8a23b5d3670315f25973c435

The Enormous Radio (dir. Christina Choe)

Spoiler
Spoiler

cc4.gif

Happy Together (dir. Adrian Lyne)

Spoiler
Spoiler

prometheus_by_soupyhands-d6ojaov.gif

Providence (dir. James Wan)

Spoiler
Spoiler

024ca87ab58afd45fed3d58d53571cc8.gif

Green Lantern Corps: Evolution (dir. Christopher McQuarrie)

Spoiler
Spoiler

tumblr_p2z3g4gvOu1sc0ffqo2_540.gif

tumblr_p5a13hPLqo1wf775uo1_540.gif

Gateways II: The Empire of Zenith (dir. Jennifer Yuh Nelson and Adam Muto)

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

10-6

Spoiler

gordon-ramsay-rage.gif

Let's Eat Dad (dir. Taika Waititi)

Spoiler

b8b53a5b1859a1a531044c68fdd93e31.gif

Tailypo (dir. Alexandre Aja)

Spoiler

4d3d4b568db82d80ecbabdba498fc0bf3265c386

Cloud Cuckoo Land (dir. Ridley Scott)

Spoiler

the-flash-running-thunder-lightning-pose

Maniac Magee (dir. Robert Zemeckis)

Spoiler

f910af664b5708cd6580a6c837cc4321a74825c8

The Legend of Hollis Brown (dir. Clint Eastwood)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5-1

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952yioohbv6jovhkoopay

The Set-Up (dir. Claire Scanlon)

Spoiler

190319.gif

Berserk: The Golden Age (dir. Zack Snyder)

Spoiler

63901e58776353536fb8593804e8eccfc30b14df

A Walk in the London Rain (dir. Emma Seligman)

Spoiler

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

tumblr_no05zkm63r1u16yqyo2_400.gif?w=750

Penpal (dir. David Robert Mitchell)

Spoiler

aftersun-paul-mescal.gif

Soil (dir. Charlotte Wells)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Posted (edited)

Top 25:

Spoiler
Spoiler
  1. Soil
  2. Penpal
  3. A Walk in the London Rain
  4. Berserk: The Golden Age
  5. The Set-Up
  6. The Legend of Hollis Brown
  7. Maniac Magee
  8. Cloud Cuckoo Land
  9. Tailypo
  10. Let’s Eat Dad
  11. Gateways II: The Empire of Zenith
  12. Green Lantern Corps: Evolution
  13. Providence
  14. Happy Together
  15. The Enormous Radio
  16. The Quest for Buster’s Bones
  17. The Boy with the Green Eyes
  18. Sony v Nintendo
  19. Tatiana’s Journey
  20. Time After Time
  21. Smile
  22. DC’s The Siege of Savage
  23. The Lottery
  24. Room 131
  25. The Valkyries vs. The Galaxy

Honorable Mentions:

Fishergirls

Freedom Day

Life Picture

Old Men Walking

Operation Finality

Grades:

Spoiler

January

Sony v Nintendo - B

Puckshot - C

Money Heist - C+

Toppings: A Pizza Romance - D

Operation Finality - B-

February

Viva Las Vengeance - C

Room 131 - B-

The Valkyries vs. The Galaxy - B-

The Legend of Hollis Brown - B+/B

A Ghost Tail - C-

March

Speed Demon - C

Klonoa: Door to the Phantomile - C+

Gran Turismo 2 - C

Lions and Dragons - D+

April

Father vs. Son - B-/C+

Cruis’n World - C

The Enormous Radio - B

Stallions - C

May

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - C+

Doraemon - D+

DC’s The Siege of Savage - B/B-

The Set-Up - B

12 Angry Veggies: A VeggieTales Movie - C

June

Old Men Walking - B-

Flesh - C+

LittleBigPlanet - C-

The Secret That Love Brings - C-

July

Ping - C

51 - D-

Freedom Day - B-

Second Dimension: Battle for North Kingdom - B-/C+

The Furby Movie - C

Lifeguards - C-

The Lottery - B-

Green Lantern Corps: Evolution - B

Wii Sports: Vacation on Wuhu Island - C-

August

Tornado - C

Tatiana’s Journey - B/B-

A Walk in the London Rain - B+

Six Souls - C-

Burnout: Revenge - C+

Coyotes Wild - C

September

Providence - B

Smile - B/B-

9/11: Never Forget - B-

Adam and Cindy ft. Cersei, in Guinea Piggest - D

Fishergirls - B-

Kris’ Plan - B-/C+

Sweet Tooth - C+

October

Pac-Man - C+

Paranormal Paranormal - D+

The Boy with the Green Eyes - B

Monster Farm - C+

The Elevator - C

Mouse Hunt - B-

Red Flag - C-/D+

Life Picture - B-

November

MBWII: The Second Monster Bug Wars - C-/D+

The Second Water War - C

Soil - B+

The Unseen - C-

3 Hearts 3 Fires - C-

For Queen and Country - C-/D+

Let’s Eat Dad - B

King of Kings - B-

More Than Just a Residency - C

The Quest for Buster’s Bones - B

Cloud Cuckoo Land - B

Meme Run - D

December

My Winter Retreat - C-

SSX Tricky - C+/C

Happy Together - B

Gateways II: The Empire of Zenith - B

Hidden Blood - C-

The Library of Babel - C+

Floodbath: The Play - B-/C+

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

Gonna give it another week or so until sometime after Easter before I dive into the requested films for the retrospective series. For everyone who hasn't already requested three films from before Y10 (1 by you and 1 from 2 other users) for me to review, you'll have until... let's say the Monday after Easter Sunday to get them in. As a reminder, please consult the ongoing list on the main post before submitting your requests.

@4815162342 @Ezen Baklattan @Ethan Hunt @Blankments @Alpha @Xillix @SLAM! @El Squibbonator @lamamama @tyson67roberts @Bastien

(I know not everyone I tagged here will probably respond, but I figured I might as well on the slim off-chance any of you do see this as I do want to get as wide a variety of selections as possible.)