filmlover

Wolfs | 9/20/2024 | Apple | George Clooney, Brad Pitt | Jon Watts directs | Now a limited release

I Read the Hollywood Reporter and Deadline review and they are both positive but not over the moon reviews. I think after Fly Me to The Moon Apple and Sony did not even want to take a chance. These are the times we live in and we have to accept it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I Read the Hollywood Reporter and Deadline review and they are both positive but not over the moon reviews. I think after Fly Me to The Moon Apple and Sony did not even want to take a chance. These are the times we live in and we have to accept it.

If BT could break out with terrible reviews then this one could do well enough too. I think it was Apple decision tbh.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

They still say it'll get a limited run of a few hundred theaters, probably won't be reported though.

I reiterate that it'd be easier for everyone if we just combined all streaming and theatrical movies into one forum. The line is just gonna continue to blur from this point, and to be blunt some streaming movies are worthy of more attention than the current setup allows.

We actually had a subforum a la On the Lot that was here in the main forum a few years ago, but it was moved to the TV show subforum because...well, we're a box office forum and streaming is box office's biggest competitor at the moment.

However, I will bring this up with the staff and we'll see if we can take things back. You never know.

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

My mind is blanking at what BT means but if this is just mid like fly me to the moon I think it would've been dead in the water at the box office. Pitt and Clooney are only draws when the critics have their back

Bullet Train 

16 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

We actually had a subforum a la On the Lot that was here in the main forum a few years ago, but it was moved to the TV show subforum because...well, we're a box office forum and streaming is box office's biggest competitor at the moment.

However, I will bring this up with the staff and we'll see if we can take things back. You never know.

I feel like it's an outdated mindset based in existential anxiety that doesn't really apply anymore. Streaming is basically the new direct to VHS, it's clearly not gonna kill the theatrical experience.

This movie's current predicament is the clearest illustration yet of just how complicated the reality is now. Still gonna be released in theaters, just not as many as before. Where do you draw the line, and is it even worth it anymore to attempt to draw it? I don't think it really is anymore.

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I feel like it's an outdated mindset based in existential anxiety that doesn't really apply anymore. Streaming is basically the new direct to VHS, it's clearly not gonna kill the theatrical experience.

This movie's current predicament is the clearest illustration yet of just how complicated the reality is now. Still gonna be released in theaters, just not as many as before. Where do you draw the line, and is it even worth it anymore to attempt to draw it? I don't think it really is anymore.

I mean I agree with you. But like...I'm just a guy and the rest of the team came to a different consensus. :lol:

But yeah, we'll see if the staff and I can change things up.

On 8/8/2024 at 4:11 PM, AJG said:

Basically Apple makes movie studios pay for P&A. The studio recoups its money via a distribution fee. The issue is that now studio partners don’t want to trust Apple movies’ ability to generate enough revenue to cover the cost of actually releasing Apple movies (after Flower Moon, Napoleon, Argylle and Fly To The Moon tanked).
The deal changed to Apple slitting the P&A cost with studios. I’m guessing that’s probably not enough to satisfy them and that’s all lead to the situation we’re seeing with this movie.

https://puck.news/apple-come-to-jesus-moment-for-movies/

This seems like a terrible strategy. Apple loses a lot of potential streaming subscribers because they're giving interested viewers the chance to see their movies in theaters 45 days in advance, and they also end up not making any money from those ticket sales. It's funny that people used to call Netflix stupid for not doing this exact same thing.

• Like 1

a 61 on mc is the worst score this possibly could get; worse than something in the reds

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

On 9/2/2024 at 7:31 AM, justnumbers said:

I mean...it's that Netflix like release. Maybe just for qualification or something.

It's a not a real release. There isn't any line. It's just a bone thrown. 

It's a streaming movie.

A bone thrown is still a bone thrown. It's probably gonna get more of a release than Didi and Sing Sing did, even if Apple is too afraid to report it.