Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Seeing Saltburn blow up on streaming this weekend makes me wonder if Amazon could have expanded it more successfully... would it have gained good momentum if they waited until December to expand? Or are movies like that just theatrical advertisements for larger streaming splashes?

That is how I feel at this stage. Outside of A24 and Searchlight probably, I feel like no one is sincerely participating in specialty market. They all just keep milking the theatrical market for easy way out. That is why Priscilla, Iron Claw and Poor things run become extra important to show that specialty markets can produce some notable hit. Theater isn't just some marketing tool for your content portfolio.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dallas said:

You're very bipolar when it comes to this film lol

He’s like this for pretty much every film he follows closely, bless him.

Anyway, it’s honestly not looking horrible for Aquaman WW. I expected worse after the latest CBM bombing.

Edited by Arlborn

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Pixar better start pivoting to originals aimed at older audiences, because unless it's based on a franchise, kid's films are DOA at the box office.

I think what we'll probably see is Disney attempting to cut down their budgets for future movies. Migration should still turn a decent profit and I imagine Illumination anticipated demand being significantly less here.

Sadly probably means they'll be looking to outsource more labor like the rest of the studios, especially w IATSE negotiations next year.

Edited by AniNate

54 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Yeah, audiences that show up for nostalgia are happy when they are served nostalgia. I'm not sure what you want me to tell you here. If you're going to seriously sit here and tell me Mario is a mature film aimed at adults looking for serious animation flicks I will simply deem this trolling.

• Like 3

Wow at Heron having the best hold!! If it gets a normal CD sized bump, I’m all in on over Demon Slayer 2nd biggest anime DOM

Edit: hmm, are we sure GKIDS isn’t forgetting/oblivious to how Xmas Eve works lol? Just noticed the Sun hold… 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do find it kind of amusing that Heron is expected to stay flat today but then drop hard on Christmas unlike most everything else. Gives you an idea of the audience they think it attracts.

Funny thing is my show is pretty full tomorrow.

But it's losing screens to Color Purple.

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do find it kind of amusing that Heron is expected to stay flat today but then drop hard on Christmas unlike most everything else. Gives you an idea of the audience they think it attracts.

Who said it’s dropping hard on Xmas? It already lost a ton of screens for the weekend and apparently it had very little affect on it. Dont think it’s losing a drastic amount more tomorrow. But the hold today does seem odd, genuinely not sure if they understand Xmas Eve dynamics, having never had a movie this time of year iirc 

Pivoting to older aimed animation might be a good idea while kids continue to shun movie theaters (or their parents just won’t take them). 

Turning Red was very much not aimed at kids, and most agree it would have been a box office hit. Encanto, while not directly aimed at older audiences, got so huge with Gen Z saturating it all over TikTok. Heron competing with Wish DOM thanks to teens to thirty somethings. Yeah,  I can see “mature” Pixar being huge if they deliver. 

The bigger problem becomes that then you’re leaning even further into conditioning todays kids to not care about the movie theater, which inevitably will kill off the industry if their habits don’t change when they’re the most crucial teen to twenty something demo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Pivoting to older aimed animation might be a good idea while kids continue to shun movie theaters (or their parents just won’t take them). 

Turning Red was very much not aimed at kids, and most agree it would have been a box office hit. Encanto, while not directly aimed at older audiences, got so huge with Gen Z saturating it all over TikTok. Heron competing with Wish DOM thanks to teens to thirty somethings. Yeah,  I can see “mature” Pixar being huge if they deliver. 

The bigger problem becomes that then you’re leaning even further into conditioning todays kids to not care about the movie theater, which inevitably will kill off the industry if their habits don’t change when they’re the most crucial teen to twenty something demo. 

The real problem is families don't want to go to default movies anymore because it's too costly. You need juicy IP even for them (Mario) to get them in the door. Just "movie about cute talking animal" won't get them to dump like 50 bucks on family tickets.

Because of that teens are easier to target with buzzier animation since (some) of them actually have money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dallas said:

Okay this isn't an official prediction or anything, not even something I think will happen, but is $400M WW possible for Aquaman 2? Just wondering if this can go over Black Adam or not

Too early to say but I expect a post Xmas collapse and Color Purple to mainly exploit that. I don't think Aquaman is going over Black Adam.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The real problem is families don't want to go to default movies anymore because it's too costly. You need juicy IP even for them (Mario) to get them in the door. Just "movie about cute talking animal" won't get them to dump like 50 bucks on family tickets.

Because of that teens are easier to target with buzzier animation since (some) of them actually have money.

It’s basically the “We have McDonalds at home” meme except they actually do have McDonalds at home with a bunch of streaming services.

• Like 3