Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

I would rather have a bunch of movies make it to the 800 mil range than a bil grosser. Much healthier overall.

I'm even more pissed at WB now that Color Purple is still there as a screen hog and finishing behind stuff like The Iron Claw. Stop eating up screens with your scrub movies, WB.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Joker would seem likely. Anything else is relying on breakout WOM 

Took a look at the release schedule and nothing screams break out hit to the tune of 1B. Maybe Deadpool?

This year has so many sequels, like 90% of movies with potential to be a hit are sequels

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What boring these two months are gonna be.

Question: will we even have an 1B grosser this year?

This might have been the worst period for me to hop on that AMC As List

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I would rather have a bunch of movies make it to the 800 mil range than a bil grosser. Much healthier overall.

I'm even more pissed at WB now that Color Purple is still there as a screen hog and finishing behind stuff like The Iron Claw. Stop eating up screens with your scrub movies, WB.

Nothing besides Joker is hitting 800 without great WOM either. DP3, IO2, BJ2, DM4 all need the WOM or I can’t see it. Anything else would be a massive surprise. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nothing besides Joker is hitting 800 without great WOM either. DP3, IO2, BJ2, DM4 all need the WOM or I can’t see it. Anything else would be a massive surprise. 

I can't see the animation ones doing big enough numbers. Kids these days prefer streaming

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What boring these two months are gonna be.

Question: will we even have an 1B grosser this year?

IMO Inside Out 2 has a very likely chance 

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I can't see the animation ones doing big enough numbers. Kids these days prefer streaming

How can you say this when Rise of Gru and Mario were major money makers?

• Like 1

I don't see Dune making $1 billion. I think it's likely to bring some money in, but it'll likely stray not far from its previous cumulative total. If it makes $500 million WW, That's reason enough to pop some champagne.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Less than Wonka?

I’ve said before I think the pandemic boosted Dune not hurt it. It was the first real spectacle blockbuster release for the better part of a year and I think a ton of people checked it out who otherwise wouldn’t have (even if it was on streaming). 

It’s anecdotal but I have a whole ton of anecdotal evidence of people who aren’t normally into hard sci-fi who watched it and hated it (or were bored more aptly). I would be especially surprised if a lot of the female and/or gen z demo comes back, since the Zendaya and Chalamet of it all seemed to be a big hook for that audience. But seems like once they actually saw it, it was a hard no. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’ve said before I think the pandemic boosted Dune not hurt it. It was the first real spectacle blockbuster release for the better part of a year and I think a ton of people checked it out who otherwise wouldn’t have (even if it was on streaming). 

It’s anecdotal but I have a whole ton of anecdotal evidence of people who aren’t normally into hard sci-fi who watched it and hated it (or were bored more aptly). I would be especially surprised if a lot of the female and/or gen z demo comes back, since the Zendaya and Chalamet of it all seemed to be a big hook for that audience. But seems like once they actually saw it, it was a hard no. 

It's funny cause those demos keep saying they have zero chemsitry. Maybe they are just jelly Tomdaya shippers but I'm seeing the zero chemsitry sentiment on Z and/or Timmy friendly spaces. Fauxmoi adores Z yet every time Dune is brought up they shit on Timdaya chemsitry. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Valonqar