filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Barbie made $175 million more internationally than Oppenheimer. What are you on about?

What are you talking about? Critical reception overseas wasn’t strong overall like on US. A bunch of foreign directors publically criticized Barbie. 

You know this is what matters for Oscar nominations right? It wasn’t super well received overseas in this regards, having 175M more money on box office doesn’t mean anything for awards and voters. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

When I look at the movies that  got zero nomination despite how great their reception at varying degree like all of us strangers, iron claw, AIR, saltburn, Margaret, origin, Priscilla and etc, 2023 is definitely the strongest Oscar year in many many years. I think only 2014 and 2019 match this level of intensity.  

A lot of these getting zero Oscar attention wasn't especially shocking even as of last week tbh. Strangers and Saltburn (to think the Academy was ever going to go for something that trashy lol) just a got minor profile boost from BAFTA. The biggest Oscar losers that were once expected to be real things but ended up close to a total shutout are probably The Color Purple (Brooks was the only nomination for what was once touted as a top contender) and May December (just a Screenplay nom for what appeared heading into the season to be a major player).

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Barbie made $175 million more internationally than Oppenheimer. What are you on about?

he's not wrong about international awards reception. It suffered a big blow at BAFTA and GG kinda made fun of it when they nominated it for almost everything and then gave it wins only in Song and Boxoffice. Audience =/= voters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

What are you talking about? Critical reception overseas wasn’t strong overall like on US. A bunch of foreign directors publically criticized Barbie. 

You know this is what matters for Oscar nominations right? It wasn’t super well received overseas in this regards, having 175M more money on box office doesn’t mean anything for awards and voters. 

Uh, what?

You're saying Gerwig didn't get nominated for Best Director in part because overseas critics rejected the film, yet the film still got nominated for Best Screenplay (over Killers of the Flower Moon, whose director was nominated for Best Director), Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Picture?

Okay, sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

he's not wrong about international awards reception. It suffered a big blow at BAFTA and GG kinda made fun of it when they nominated it for almost everything and then gave it wins only in Song and Boxoffice. Audience =/= voters.

Exactly, international members have a very strong importance now for nominations, the academy has been including foreign voters every year more and more.

Proof: they manage to include 2 foreign movies in only 5 directing slots this year.

Plus they take Gerwig and Payne down despite DGA for both. It’s obvious foreign voters was the main reason for both “snubs”.

Neither shocked me, Barbie wasn’t beloved OS and Payne movie isn’t strong enough compared to Triet and Glazer for foreign taste. 

I still think it’s a very interesting list and the closer to “global” cinema as the academy proclaims to be.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Uh, what?

You're saying Gerwig didn't get nominated for Best Director in part because overseas critics rejected the film, yet the film still got nominated for Best Screenplay (over Killers of the Flower Moon, whose director was nominated for Best Director), Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Picture?

Okay, sure.

Different voters. You know that only Directors Branch votes for Direcor, right? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Uh, what?

Okay, sure.

Do you know every department have their own voters right? The writers voting for Barbie doesn’t mean anything for directors lol

The director branch is by far the most highbrow and the one that most includes foreign voters every year. For the past decade mostly every year a foreign director is there, there’s a obvious path here that have nothing to do with screenplay category.

You’re being blind defending Barbie, none of this matters for the directing category. Overseas members matters, they were the ones that put Anatomy and Zone there, and they don’t love Barbie, simple.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exactly, international members have a very strong importante now for nominations, the academy has been including foreign voters every year more and more.

Proof: they manage to include 2 foreign movies in only 5 directing slots this year.

Plus they take Gerwig and Payne down despite DGA for both. It’s obvious foreign voters was the main reason for both “snubs”.

Neither shocked me, Barbie wasn’t beloved OS and Payne movie isn’t strong enough compared to Triet and Glazer for foreign taste. 

I still think it’s a very interesting list and the closer to “global” cinema as the academy proclaims to be.

Well said! also, since international membership is growing rapidly, we will be seeing more of that in the future.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Well said! also, since international membership is growing rapidly, we will be seeing more of that in the future.

Thank God, as a “foreign” myself i’m very glad about this, is nice seeing amazing movies finally being nominated in the biggest categories.

I don’t think an US academy is obligated to embrace foreign movies to be fair, but since the Oscars claims to represent global cinema i think they should and i’m happy is happening. 

This is a very strong year for cinema overall, there’s even some great movies being snubbed due to so much good competition, they should be proud of the nominations, their inclusion process is bringing great surprises.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exactly, international members have a very strong importante now for nominations, the academy has been including foreign voters every year more and more.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Different voters. You know that only Directors Branch votes for Direcor, right? 

I'm only arguing that her lack of nomination wasn't due to overseas critics. If overseas critics mattered, it wouldn't have been nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. It wouldn't have had any acting nods, either. I liked Barbie, but even I was surprised by which major awards Barbie got nominated for.

Best Picture has 10 nominations. Best Director has 5. Five directors were always going to be left out. Had Gosling and Ferrera not been nominated, I don't think Greta's lack of nomination would have phased me.

In a sad note, not a great feeling seeing Charles Melton not getting in it afterall. Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman both would be very welcomed nominations too. 

Sad that Netflix campaign for it was so small and weak, i think it could’ve done better but Netflix likely wasn’t interested because they have the rights only on US.

Seeing it in a nearly sold out theater was great, everyone was engaging with it. Awful that Netflix keeps buying great movies exclusively for US and burying them in the platform, Hitman is the next one.

27 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The fact that they aren’t even counting The Boy and the Heron as competition will make it even funnier when it inevitably wins. I just can’t see any of the Disney ones or Spider-Verse being big with the older Academy voters, whereas Ghibli has more of a prestige to it that they’ll probably vote for by default.

Lmao majority of the Academy voters don't even watch foreign animated films or any animated film beyond the designated Disney/Pixar film or something too popular to ignore like Spider-Verse or that has a name they recognize attached to it like Del Toro's Pinnochio

Not saying TBatF can't win, but "inevitably" is an overstatement considering it lost Critics Choice to AtSV. Spider-Verse still has the maximum number of wins so far.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

In a sad note, not a great feeling seeing Charles Melton not getting in it afterall. Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman both would be very welcomed nominations too. 

Sad that Netflix campaign for it was so small and weak, i think it could’ve done better but Netflix likely wasn’t interested because they have the rights only on US.

Seeing it in a nearly sold out theater was great, everyone was engaging with it. Awful that Netflix keeps buying great movies exclusively for US and burying them in the platform, Hitman is the next one.

They managed Golden Globe and other nominations elsewhere for it so it wasn't a total loss. Honestly feel like the Mary Kay Letourneau connection ended up hurting the movie with voters than helping it, kind of like how the vocal criticism against Gone Girl that it was "a well-made trashy Lifetime movie" probably didn't help that movie either (to the point of being one nomination short of a complete shutout) nearly a decade ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They managed Golden Globe and other nominations elsewhere for it so it wasn't a total loss. Honestly feel like the Mary Kay Letourneau connection ended up hurting the movie with voters than helping it, kind of like how the vocal criticism against Gone Girl that it was "a well-made trashy Lifetime movie" probably didn't help that movie either (to the point of being one nomination short of a complete shutout) nearly a decade ago.

Agreed, Todd Haynes style isn’t much in line with Oscar taste overall, so it wasn’t a complete shock. The movie is very close to melodrama with some artificial European mise-en-scene, i doubt it could go beyond acting noms with strong campaign. 

At least i think is the top 3 most mentioned movie in the year-end best lists, great movie.

• Like 1

Just catching up.

I called no Leo diCaprio nomination like a month ago

Sad about the gang of May December missing in Actor/actress

MI: Dead Reckong got recognized in two categories....this is a big surprise

The Boy and the Heron and Spider-Verse are on pretty much equal footing in the race, imo. It has to be among the tightest categories. Spider-Verse has the lion's share of critic awards (it's picked up 30+ precursors to Heron's 12), and in most years that has been a good indication of the winner: Pinocchio, Soul, Toy Story 4, Into the Spider-Verse, Coco, etc were all massively ahead of the pack in terms of precursors. The only exception in the past several years has been The Mitchells vs the Machines, as the Oscar ultimately went in favor of Disney bias, which I don't think is a threat this time around. The Boy and the Heron did pick up the Golden Globe, which has coincided with the Oscar all but 4 times.

In favor of Spider-Verse, I think recent precedent does affect things. Spider-Verse stands out as an "obvious" choice because of its predecessor's recent win, and of course the Academy leans towards movies their kids have seen. It feels like this year's substitute for the usual Disney/Pixar contender, where the movie is popular with kids and did well at the box office but still carries enough prestige for the Academy to justify voting for it. ITSV was the movie to break a long string of precedent-bound Disney wins, but it didn't break far outside the reason those Disney movies were so popular with the Academy. Spider-Verse also has a much stronger marketing machine, whereas The Boy and the Heron has a smaller distributor (much smaller than that of any movie that has won the category) and Miyazaki himself hasn't been doing press.

So the ultimate result really just comes down to more nebulous values of prestige and legacy that can't be quantified, which makes it a difficult prediction. I lean towards The Boy and the Heron based on hopes and vibes, but it's far from an obvious choice.

32 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lmao majority of the Academy voters don't even watch foreign animated films or any animated film beyond the designated Disney/Pixar film or something too popular to ignore like Spider-Verse or that has a name they recognize attached to it like Del Toro's Pinnochio

Not saying TBatF can't win, but "inevitably" is an overstatement considering it lost Critics Choice to AtSV. Spider-Verse still has the maximum number of wins so far.

Out of all of the names associated with that list of animated films, Miyazaki is probably the one that’s most recognisable, even for the fusty old white male Academy voters.

Don't get me wrong, Spider-Verse gets my vote just for how utterly gorgeous the animation is (even if the story was a slight step down from ITSV), but I just feel like Heron has the edge.

Edited by SnokesLegs