filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

A lot of these getting zero Oscar attention wasn't especially shocking even as of last week tbh. Strangers and Saltburn (to think the Academy was ever going to go for something that trashy lol) just a got minor profile boost from BAFTA. The biggest Oscar losers that were once expected to be real things but ended up close to a total shutout are probably The Color Purple (Brooks was the only nomination for what was once touted as a top contender) and May December (just a Screenplay nom for what appeared heading into the season to be a major player).

A lot of this didn’t get as much as attention because the slot was pretty much filled by the time award season kick start to allow any surprise like triangle of sadness in 2022 and drive my car in 2021.

First time A24 got two slots and both of which movies are mostly non-English. Sadly this achievement came at the expenses of iron claw total snub, but at least IC was a commercial hit. 

Even though he isn’t getting his second directing win anytime soon, if ever, but I am glad the academy honour him with another record.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Lead Actress category was stacked this year, but i'm still surprised Margot Robbie missed

The combined power of Annette Bening, Netflix, and a biopic was too much to resist. Love Bening (and Foster) but Nyad feels like one of the more "this movie doesn't actually exist" nominees in a while.

The fact that Ken was nominated and Barbie was not for the Barbie movie has almost certainly created a whole new discourse machine though. Sigh.

Will Nolan win 2 or 3 awards? The film’s heft will likely carry over into the Adapted Screenplay category to give him that third one of the night. His other two categories are in no way close horse races whatsoever.

The Best Actor category will be an interesting battle between Giamatti and Murphy. BAFTA and SAG should help portend the winner. Unlike during the nominating round, all of the technical branches vote in all categories. Nolan has a lot of past nominees and winners in those areas who will likely be voting for Oppenheimer in all 13 categories.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:51 PM, filmlover said:

The fact that Ken was nominated and Barbie was not for the Barbie movie has almost certainly created a whole new discourse machine though. Sigh.

It's not a good look, but If we're being honest, Ken was just more fun, more flashy character.

Edited by Maggie

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

But Nimona was an original film, while Super Mario Bros was never a serious contender for a myriad of reasons. TMNT was a critically acclaimed film but didn’t really make a big impact despite everything going for it.

I don’t know think TMNT is the kind of thing the Academy would pay much attention to in the first place. 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

In a sad note, not a great feeling seeing Charles Melton not getting in it afterall. Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman both would be very welcomed nominations too. 

Sad that Netflix campaign for it was so small and weak, i think it could’ve done better but Netflix likely wasn’t interested because they have the rights only on US.

Seeing it in a nearly sold out theater was great, everyone was engaging with it. Awful that Netflix keeps buying great movies exclusively for US and burying them in the platform, Hitman is the next one.

I think that May December got blanked in acting cause actors love historical figures and big showy performances neither of which is May December. Sad reality. Could also be the icky subject matter but preference for historical, illness/disability, histrionics, prosthetics is undeniable. 

• Like 1

About the diCrapio miss. I remember critics hailing this his greatest performance when the movie debuted at Cannes last year. Nothing further from the truth, he was miscast. I'm glad he didn't get nominated this year. Maybe he's gonna be back next year in that PTA movie

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

About the diCrapio miss. I remember critics hailing this his greatest performance when the movie debuted at Cannes last year. Nothing further from the truth, he was miscast. I'm glad he didn't get nominated this year. Maybe he's gonna be back next year in that PTA movie

Leo missing feels similar to De Niro missing for The Irishman four years ago: too quiet a performance in too competitive of a field. It's been a while but he's had some high-profile snubs in the past so this isn't nearly as much of a shock as it's being made out to be.

Among all the nomination, music branch disappoint me the most that almost got me irritated. The fact that they nominate John William and Diane warren for something this mid-tier in every single year is unbearable. The whole branch deserves an audit to checkout if there is any integrity issue in nomination process. 

Even acting branch stop going in blindly for meryl Streep in recent years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Among all the nomination, music branch disappoint me the most that almost got me irritated. The fact that they nominate John William and Diane warren for something this mid-tier in every single year is unbearable. The whole branch deserves an audit to checkout if there is any integrity issue in nomination process. 

Even acting branch stop going in blindly for meryl Streep in recent years. 

I'm convinced at this point that Diane Warren is going to continue turning otherwise completely obscure movies into Oscar-nominated films even from the afterlife.

At least Flamin' Hot is less "fake movie"-ish than some of the past films that no can confirm actually exists (I believe Tell It Like a Woman didn't even have a Wikipedia page until it was nominated lol). And if they had to nominate a song of hers this year, we can be thankful it wasn't that painful 80 for Brady tune.

Zone of Interest is my most anticipated out of the contenders I've yet to see (heading to a preview on Sunday in London). Under the Skin is one of my all time faves so I'm very happy to see Glazer get a Best Director nomination.

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Would it be a hot take to say that Nolan is the least deserving of these 5 Director noms? 👀

It's definitely the strongest Best Director line up in years - all very deserving of their place. They each directed the hell out of those films (haven't seen Zone Of Interest yet but Glazer is a meticulous director). 

That being said - no one on this planet could have pulled Oppenheimer off save for Nolan. I'll be very happen if (when) he wins.

19 minutes ago, solaris said:

It's definitely the strongest Best Director line up in years - all very deserving of their place. They each directed the hell out of those films (haven't seen Zone Of Interest yet but Glazer is a meticulous director). 

That being said - no one on this planet could have pulled Oppenheimer off save for Nolan. I'll be very happen if (when) he wins.

I will be happy too but same can be said of Gerwig. Barbie was considered a joke for the longest time even when many signs pointed at something special. No one else would have pulled it off.

Edited by Valonqar

Sorry but these noms are infuriating. Obviously I know something like Heron was a huge long shot in BP, but AtSV snubbed for visuals and both snubbed for score while fucking Dial of Destiny gets a nom?!? Their bias against animation is out of control at this point 

• Like 2