filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Diane Warren has to be a masochist to continue attending these ceremonies where she has no chance to win right?

2 years ago she looked fully broken when she lost and last year she couldn't even bring herself to applaud for the winner. She needs a good campaign machine behind her in a year where she gets nominated for a movie which actually exists.

She actually received an Honorary Oscar in late 2022. I was hoping after that a space would free up in Original Song but no, I guess it wasn't enough. She's going to continue turning random/obscure movies into Oscar-nominated films like she has her last handful of noms (Tell It Like a Woman didn't even have a Wiki page until its nomination IIRC) from The Great Beyond at this rate.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

She actually received an Honorary Oscar in late 2022. I was hoping after that a space would free up in Original Song but no, I guess it wasn't enough. She's going to continue turning random/obscure movies into Oscar-nominated films like she has her last handful of noms (Tell It Like a Woman didn't even have a Wiki page until its nomination IIRC) from The Great Beyond at this rate.

People will always prefer a competitive Oscar to an honorary one, so it's understandable why she still keeps grinding away.

IIRC, Paul Newman received his honorary Oscar on the set of The Color of Money and then won Best Actor for that performance the very next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

People will always prefer a competitive Oscar to an honorary one, so it's understandable why she still keeps grinding away.

IIRC, Paul Newman received his honorary Oscar on the set of The Color of Money and then won Best Actor for that performance the very next year.

Why do I feel like this describes Glenn Close lol.

Almost impressed they didn't select her for one the year after the rug was pulled out from under her at the last minute with the "Surprise!" Olivia Colman victory. Angela Bassett is one of this year's recipients following a high-profile loss last year. Or maybe she declined and thinks she can still win a competitive one despite the odds (her last three nods were for movies nobody cared about otherwise).

Lot of stars with upcoming movies this year among these presenters. Gosling and Blunt are likely paired up to promote The Fall Guy, as are Anya and Hemsworth for Furiosa. Ariana and Cynthia are obviously presenting together to plug Wicked.

I got a feeling the fix is in for Oppenheimer to pretty much sweep; of the major awards it is up for only one I see it losing is best supporting actress; Blunt was good but not the tour de force the DiVine was in 'Holdovers".

Just about finished watching the nominees in all the categories, but the remaining 3 I haven't seen are still nowhere to be found around here, so uh I guess I'll just leave them be.

Haven't seen Anatomy or Zone but this is overall a pretty solid Best Picture lineup IMO (I even liked Maestro more than most people here did). Better than the rather tragic 2018 lineup for instance. Not one of my favorites though. Overall 2023 wasn't that great of a movie year for me. Does feel like there were too many high-profile disappointments.

I thought 2023 has one of the best lineup in recent years. Typically I only find myself loving three to five movies in the BP lineup , while don't really care or outrightly disliking the rest of them. But for 2023 lineup, I actually like six of them. The highest count since BP expansion to >5 slots, and that is after them totally ignoring my other favourite such as Iron Claw, Air and Margaret.