Kon

Weekdays Thread 22-25

POOR THINGS is expanding into 2300 THEATERS this weekend per Box Office Report.

Disney / Searchlight's Poor Things grossed $323K on Wednesday (from 1,410 locations), which was a 61% increase from the previous Wednesday. Total domestic gross stands at $21.42M. This weekend's location count for the film is 2,300 locations.

https://x.com/BORReport/status/1750585109345112451?s=20

• Like 2

The Oscar movies are all doing a great job of taking advantage of the lack of new releases (how many theaters is Miller's Girl even in?). Not sure how much they'll all increase, but I'm guessing the three not on VOD (Poor Things, American Fiction, Zone of Interest) should see healthy increases.

• Like 2

ABY reported less than estimate actual two days in a row. Tuesday estimate was 710k but down to 683k and Wed only down from 500k to 486k. Seldom I see dailies actual run this far from estimate. 

14 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

The Oscar movies are all doing a great job of taking advantage of the lack of new releases (how many theaters is Miller's Girl even in?). Not sure how much they'll all increase, but I'm guessing the three not on VOD (Poor Things, American Fiction, Zone of Interest) should see healthy increases.

According to The Numbers last night: "We have yet to receive a theater count for [Miller's Girl] but will include it when we get one. Based on our survey of theaters, it looks as though it will debut in about 500 locations."

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

14 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

The Oscar movies are all doing a great job of taking advantage of the lack of new releases (how many theaters is Miller's Girl even in?). Not sure how much they'll all increase, but I'm guessing the three not on VOD (Poor Things, American Fiction, Zone of Interest) should see healthy increases

I'll be interested to see what (if anything) Oppenheimer does over the next few weeks. Everyone who wants to see it has already seen it, but February is deader than a dodo. Surely a few big IMAX/PLM engagements would get some attention?

3 hours ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

According to The Numbers last night: "We have yet to receive a theater count for [Miller's Girl] but will include it when we get one. Based on our survey of theaters, it looks as though it will debut in about 500 locations."

DOA ⚰️

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

As HBO CEO Casey Bloys told me, “There’s an entire ecosystem of people who write about television, and want to talk about it, and get on social media and criticize it or praise it, or whatever. The effect of all of it together is to keep the show in the cultural conversation

That ecosystem includes...Casey Bloys using alts to astroturf accusations of that other critics were bigots due to having the gall to give an HBO show a bad review. Totally healthy ecosystem.

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

That ecosystem includes...Casey Bloys using alts to astroturf accusations of that other critics were bigots due to having the gall to give an HBO show a bad review. Totally healthy ecosystem.

and not only that but social media still doesn't represent the silent majority. Just because some movies popular on TikTok took off and very likely not only because of TikTok (did all those older people who flocked to Barbenheimer really check TikTok for opinion?) it doesn't mean that movies now have to pander to it. And this article sounds like an invitation to do that. Not a good idea. 

ZOI start to increase big. I wouldn’t rule out 10m finish for this ultra indie movie. 

The number has it at 32.7m but BoM start adjusting down the number to 32.17m, matching BOR number. So for whatever reason, IC is 500k less than we thought initially. Still got some gas to push it pass 35m