Air Bud

738 points, 18 lists

"Ain't no rules says a dog can't play basketball."

51ixe7szMsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 27.8M

Rotten Tomatoes: 45%

Metacritic: N/A

Awards: 1 Kids Choice Award nomination

Roger Ebert’s Review: "There are predictable crises: Will Snively the Clown come looking for his dog? Will Josh be promoted from manager to player? Will the team's mean star and his overzealous dad spoil the fun? The movie touches those bases, but with freshness and energy. And the climactic scenes are not only absurd and goofy but also enormously entertaining. By the end of the film I was quietly amazed: Not only could Buddy play basketball, but I actually cared how the game turned out."

Its Legacy: Told kids that dogs could play basketball and there's nothing in the rules that say otherwise. Shows that golden retrievers are good boys. Spawned a huge media franchise that is still ongoing. Gave Michael Jeter a paycheck.

Commentary: Dogs

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:22 PM, Morieris said:

Can't believe I forgot this.

I also can’t believe I forgot Brandy’s Cinderella. Like can we redo the list? I’d like to resubmit. That was an incredible oversight.

Air Bud at 69 is like way too convenient… What’s the real 69?

5 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

Air Bud

738 points, 18 lists

Roger Ebert’s Review: "There are predictable crises: Will Snively the Clown come looking for his dog? Will Josh be promoted from manager to player? Will the team's mean star and his overzealous dad spoil the fun? The movie touches those bases, but with freshness and energy. And the climactic scenes are not only absurd and goofy but also enormously entertaining. By the end of the film I was quietly amazed: Not only could Buddy play basketball, but I actually cared how the game turned out."

Its Legacy: Told kids that dogs could play basketball and there's nothing in the rules that say otherwise. Shows that golden retrievers are good boys. Spawned a huge media franchise that is still ongoing. Gave Michael Jeter a paycheck.

air-bud.gif

• Haha 2

One Hundred and One Dalmatians

738 points, 18 lists

"Blast this wretched, wretched pen!"

51aNOpeM76L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 303M

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%

Metacritic: 83

Awards: 1 BAFTA Award

Roger Ebert’s Review: "All of Walt Disney's animated films have his signature on them, but “101 Dalmatians” (1961) was one of the last to be made under his personal supervision. Seen 30 years later in a national re-release, it's an uneven film, with moments of inspiration in a fairly conventional tale of kidnapping and rescue. This is not one of the great Disney classics - it's not in the same league with “Snow White” or “Pinocchio” - but it's passable fun, and will entertain its target family audiences."

Its Legacy: The most acclaimed Disney film since Snow White. Once the most highest-grossing animated film of all time. Cruella De Vil became one of the most popular and loved Disney Villains in history. #39 on AFI's Top 100 Villains. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts. Appeared in Once Upon a Time and Descendants. Received three live-action films (Cruella 2 also in the works!). Earned a direct-to-video sequel. Received two television shows. Saved Disney's animation department. The first Disney film to use xerography technology for its animation. Gave Betty Lou Gerson a paycheck.

Commentary: Releasing after the massive money loser Sleeping Beauty, One Hundred and One Dalmatians was the miraculous success story the animation department needed to stay afloat. In particular, a helpful animation technique known as xerography, photocopying technology that resulted in drawings being placed directly onto animation cels, streamlined the process and kept costs down.

This in turn resulted in a sketchy art style found in many Disney films over the next couple decades, but really stood out in this modern-day film in particular. This film looked sleek, looked modern, like a fine piece of New York art that came to life. The designs were inventive and creative, moving away from the traditional Disney hero designs, while still maintaining a lot of key features. Phenomenal backgrounds too, which only further emphasize the style and aesthetic, creating a world that looks like a modern painting come to life. Similar to Sleeping Beauty, the film that came before this, when you really think about it.

But a film doesn’t become the most successful animated film at the time of its release just on pretty pictures. What helps this of course is the strong and effective story about some Dalmatian parents trying to save their children from a twisted, psychotic fashion designer. The dalmatian parents Pongo and Perdita are sweet, warm-hearted figures, and their litter of puppies, 13 of the 99 puppies found in the movie all have fun personalities. The film’s also not afraid to get dark and harsh at points, with a lot of tense, dramatic, and scary sequences thrown in to add peril and anguish and excitement.

And of course, there’s Cruella De Vil, the star of the show and the most enduring character of the franchise. A worshiper of high fashion and fur, she’s glamorous and spoiled, yet deranged and psychotic, unafraid and ruthless in her quest to kill puppies to get the greatest fur coat imaginable. Her batty personality, wild eyes, crazed mannerisms, iconic design, and scratchy voice, courtesy of the great Betty Lou Gerson, made her an instant icon of the Disney Villains and villain characters in general.

All of this culminated in one of Disney’s biggest franchises ever, with several television shows, tons of merchandise, numerous video games, and not one, but two successful live-action incarnations. One Cruella played by Glenn Close, the other by Emma Stone. It’s one of the many hits that made Disney a powerhouse, and it is still paying off dividends thanks to the excellent quality of its originator.

• Like 9
  • Disbelief 1

15 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

#274 - Citizen Ruth (94 points, 1 list)

tumblr_inline_pcw6e6QJjh1qzahfh_500.gif

Another film that only I voted for, this one I saw specifically for this list. It looked interesting enough from the description, but I was still surprised about how much I loved this. Also a 90's film that feels more topical than ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Major sham. Air Bud is better than over 3/4 of the films released so far. Why trick a good doggo like that!

Aww don't be mad. Pongo's a good boy too. Look at his cute little face. How can you be mean at this face?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Tower said:

Another film that only I voted for, this one I saw specifically for this list. It looked interesting enough from the description, but I was still surprised about how much I loved this. Also a 90's film that feels more topical than ever.

It's a fantastic movie, and I miss this Alexander Payne. I'd have voted for it but I excluded the output of Miramax and 20th Century.

• Like 1

#270 - Tron Legacy (97 points, 5 lists)

a5ef1feb6626e330df68bbcfd4a657c2c7e3dc76

#269 - Three Colours: Red (97 points, 1 list)

giphy.gif

#268 - Mimic (98 points, 1 list)

tumblr_pzg23h7zEi1ut1d6co2_540.gif

#267 - Grosse Pointe Blank (99 points, 3 lists)

8c0953f096de4ed6b2565a57bb0bf010181c0fe1

#266 - George of the Jungle (100 points, 2 lists)

swinging-george-of-the-jungle-925tqgcf6j

#265 - Tron (101 points, 6 lists)

tron-1982.gif

#264 - Winnie the Pooh (2011) (101 points, 5 lists)

tumblr_oyn101hP8m1wzypxlo1_500.gif

#263 - Popeye (101 points, 4 lists)

dg5ab9z-c21b8d99-5dbb-4018-9919-2c04900b

#262 - The Good Dinosaur (101 points, 3 lists)

d92ahi2-6111ce20-7964-41a8-9620-f986b661

#261 - 102 Dalmatians (101 points, 2 lists)

tumblr_mj46elGXzx1rpg6o6o1_500.gif

• Like 8
  • Disbelief 1

Face/Off

740 points, 12 lists

"OOOEEEE, you're good lookin'!"

41TTfqiBpoL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 245.7M

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Metacritic: 82

Awards: 1 Academy Award nomination, 2 Saturn Awards, 2 MTV Movie Awards

Roger Ebert’s Review: "This business of exchanged identities is of course not new to drama. Shakespeare enjoyed having characters play each other (see "Twelfth Night"), and in Chinese and Japanese plays it's common for masks to be used to suggest identity swaps. Here, using big movie stars and asking them to play each other, Woo and his writers find a terrific counterpoint to the action scenes: All through the movie, you find yourself reinterpreting every scene as you realize the "other" character is "really" playing it."

Its Legacy: John Woo's most loved Hollywood production. Part of the holy trinity of 90s Nic Cage goodness. The 11th-highest grossing film of 1997. Inspired the creation of Infernal Affairs. A sequel is in the works. Exposed Danny Masterson as a creep decades before we knew the truth. Inspired that one song The Rock rapped in. Gave Joan Allen a paycheck.

Commentary: While it can be hard to argue what is John Woo’s best Hong Kong-produced film, the general consensus is, when it comes to his Hollywood movies, that Face/Off is Woo’s absolute best. It’s for a variety of reasons, but a lot of it comes down to a perfect storm of elements that could have only happened in 1997. Specifically, its action and its leading stars.

With $80 million to play with (roughly $150 million in today’s money), Woo was allowed to hog-wild with wild setpieces involving boat chases, gun fu, giant shootouts, jet planes, and so much more. It’s utterly maximalist in its over the top style and action, and the film’s creative premise of two polar opposites swapping faces in a cat and mouse story allows for tons of creativity and excitement.

And of course, you have two great actors in Nicolas Cage and John Travolta. Both are asked to play crazed, deranged, obsessive weirdos. And since both actors are basically cartoon characters in real life, it allows these two actors to ham it up and have tons of fun in this wild, inventive, madcap storyline. If the film had anybody else in the cast, it would be nowhere near as exciting and creative.

This is the kind of movie that makes you miss the good ol’ days of the 90s. When starpower reigned supreme and all you needed were great actors given good material and find great success. And within this weird world of action movie greatness found in the 90s, this was one of the best. We’ll see if the rumored sequel/remake/whatever it is can match it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

755 points, 16 lists

"Wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on top of the forest, a little bear will always be waiting."

208-pooh-srgb.jpg?focal=50,2

Box Office: N/A

Rotten Tomatoes: 100%

Metacritic: N/A

Awards: N/A

Roger Ebert’s Review: N/A

Its Legacy: The first Winnie the Pooh film ever. Solidified Winnie the Pooh as one of the most iconic Disney franchises. The final Disney animated film where Walt Disney had personal involvement. Introduced Gopher to the Winnie the Pooh property in general. Gave Paul Winchell a paycheck.

Commentary: Within the pantheon of Disney franchises, Winnie the Pooh is perhaps the most understated one out there. It never gets the accolades or media attention as other big franchises like Toy Story or Frozen, nor does it have huge box office numbers. Yet it’s a merchandising powerhouse, has been a constant fixture in all facets of the company, and is loved by just about every Disney fan out there, with praise for its simplicity and charm and wit. And it all started...kind of, with 1977’s The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

This “film” is moreso a compilation piece, taking three already existing featurettes and placing them into one movie. Still, it’s a very effective movie. One that captures the wanderlust feelings and imaginative spirit of both the A. A. Milne books and, in some ways, childhood itself. It’s a series of silly, laid-back slice-of-life stories where the cast and crew go through their day, get into some trouble, tackle their own weird neuroses and issues, and, simply put, live life. It’s a stark contrast to most children’s movies, especially these days. There’s the idea that kids need wacky shenanigans, fast-paced characters and visuals, and epic adventures to stay entertained. But this film just shows the peacefulness and casual day-to-day living of a bunch of childish stuffed animals and the boy who owns them and loves them. And it still ends up being entertaining and memorable even if not much actually happens.

Of course, a lot of the sweetness and charm comes from the characters, who are so loved and iconic that I don’t even have to explain who they are. And all of them are centered around Winnie the Pooh, a painfully naive, but tender-hearted and kindly teddy bear who is just oh so pleasant and endearing. It’s impossible not to smile when he’s on the screen and he really serves as one of the greatest characters in Disney history. Frankly, in all of media history. No matter how many times we may be forced to see him as an evil slasher character.

All of this kickstarted a gigantic media franchise that is still ongoing today. TV shows, TV specials, low-budget movies, big-budget movies, and everything else in between. In fact, a new Disney Junior Winnie the Pooh show just premiered earlier this year. This kind of longevity is impressive for such a willy, nilly, silly old bear. But his best piece of media will always be this 1977 film. A film that captures the oddities and silliness of the characters and the carefree days of childhood today’s generation is enjoying and us adults yearn to return back to.

• Like 6
  • Heart 2

Kill Bill Volume 1

770 points, 17 lists

"That woman deserves her revenge and we deserve to die."

707658_poster.jpg

Box Office: 180.9M

Rotten Tomatoes: 85%

Metacritic: 69

Awards: 5 BAFTA Award nominations, 2 Empire Awards and 2 nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 3 MTV Movie Awards

Roger Ebert’s Review: ""Kill Bill, Volume 1" shows Quentin Tarantino so effortlessly and brilliantly in command of his technique that he reminds me of a virtuoso violinist racing through "Flight of the Bumble Bee" -- or maybe an accordion prodigy setting a speed record for "Lady of Spain." I mean that as a sincere compliment. The movie is not about anything at all except the skill and humor of its making. It's kind of brilliant."

Its Legacy: Rejuvenated the popularity of 1973's Lady Snowblood for a new generation. Revived the aesthetics and style grindhouse and samurai cinema, spaghetti Westerns, blaxploitation, and so on. Caused Uma Thurman to get into a car crash. The biggest opening weekend of a Tarantino film to date. The Bride became one of the most famous action heroines in cinema history. Referenced in Beyonce/Lady Gaga's "Telephone". Gave Vivica A. Fox a paycheck.

Commentary: There’s been endless debates on which Kill Bill is better. Do you like Volume 2 for its stronger emphasis on character, drama, and writing? Or are you more into Volume 1 for its nonstop violence and intentional simplicity? I can’t speak for everybody, but the general consensus for the voters here are more into Volume 1. I’m split on which one I actually do like more, but I get why Volume 1 would be considered the favorite.

Despite being a barrage of fighting, the film never feels exhausted or tired whatsoever. Much of it is thanks to the fantastic fight choreography, which takes great influence from the booming popularity of martial arts films at the time, as well as being another fun throwback of exploitation films, samurai movies, and spaghetti Westerns. Then of course there’s Uma Thurman as The Bride. We know little about her in this film, but we still have enough information to understand she’s highly sympathetic, but a stone-cold badass at the same time. One of the best action heroines out there, and it’s fun to see her face off against other superstars like Vivica A. Fox and Lucy Liu. Oh, and did I mention the awesome anime sequence partway through the movie? Because uh...yeah. It’s awesome.

Again, it’s kind of hard to say much more without really talking about both movies, which...I already have. But of course, whichever volume you prefer, it’s still an exceptional action flick that gives you all you need for stylized fun.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:26 PM, Eric Creed said:

Air Bud

738 points, 18 lists

Y’all act like Air Bud is such a joke. But did any of the other so-called “movies” you voted for have a 15 minute exclusive deep dive from John Oliver? No? Air Bud deserved better!

• Thanks 1

Just caught up on this thread.  Again I see many films only I voted for (or one other person).  The biggest shocker is Pooh's grand Adventure.  I really thought other old millenials/young Gen Zers would rank it and do it highly.

I need to add this- refs have common sense rules and could have banned Buddy from playing Basketball.  The fact they let him play has to mean they wanted him to.

11 hours ago, The Panda said:

Y’all act like Air Bud is such a joke. But did any of the other so-called “movies” you voted for have a 15 minute exclusive deep dive from John Oliver? No? Air Bud deserved better!

Air bud got screwed.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1