AniNate

Monkey Man | Universal/Monkeypaw | Dev Patel action thriller | 04/05/2024

Do we have theater counts on this yet? Surprised it's not playing at our dive theater but our Regal already has several screens, this seems like a very "I need to see this in the theater I have to walk through an alley into an abandoned mall to get to." vibe to keep it gritty.

6 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Really pulling for this to open at at least 25m$ bc damn he's been through hell to make this.

I really hope it breaks out. It's literally blood, sweat, and tears for Patel.

Saw this last night and...didn't like it. Biggest disappointment of the year so far, I was soooo hyped.

The script is a total mess, it's political ambitions are admirable and I respect what Dev is going for...underbaked to put it mildly. Which I'd be fine with if the action was amazing but, there's not enough action set pieces and what we get is waaaaaay too spaced out. The choreography is terrific but most of it is shot in either too dim lighting (you can tell it started as a Netflix film) or it's tight shaky handhelds with rapid editing so you never get to see much of it. Dev Patel rules though, he should be in more action films but maybe not direct them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do notice that more recent reviews haven't been as kind to it. Tomatometer still relatively high but average rating has dipped to the low 7s (actually lower than First Omen now), so probably gonna be a sizable audience thinking it was "just ok"

Edited by AniNate

Thought this was almost great. More Refn/Evans than Wick. Loved how raw and ugly it was while also exploding with color. Pure pulp. Dev carries it. Hearty pat of on the back for using that awesome song from The Handmaiden's awesome teaser in it. Big smile overall.

What train did they have to catch for the first 25 minutes of this movie.  That really felt rushed, and I was hoping the cameraperson would take 2 steps back from everyone's face.

Maybe that's a narrative decision, given what happens later, but when you get to the second (?) fight scene, it does slow down to a reasonable pace and is fairly enjoyable though it does get a little too slow in the third act before finally settling on a decent pace.

The music choices are fantastic, that synth remix of Somebody to Love is great, honestly every fight scene after the very first is entertaining and surprising, it looks stylish, it's a good start with major room for improvement.

• Like 1

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that camera work in the first 30 minutes or so was awful, I get that they were going for a chaotic vibe, but it was like Paul Greengrass shaky-cam on steroids. Thankfully it calmed down and they actually let us see the fighting in the rest of the film.

I feel like the early reviews overhyped it, but I liked it overall. Dev Patel was great, and assuming he directs more in line with the latter half of the film, I’d be interested to see where he goes next as a writer/director.

Too bad this isn't doing that well at the box office cause it's pretty good. It's a pretty formulaic action revenge flick, right down to the training montage (which I used to take a bathroom break) but Dev Patel really directs the hell out of it which elevates the whole thing. The fight scenes are great and there's some other really electric sequences in this.

Edited by MOVIEGUY