cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

I thought for a moment they were gonna go full Frozen 2 with the teaser but this does seem like a safer way to market the sequel.

This has huge potential though. I might be extremely bullish on this but I think this can do $150M+ over the 5-day. I'd go higher but we haven't had a film open above $100M over Thanksgiving, and the highest that any film has done over Thanksgiving is $125M. If there's any movies that would smash these records though it would be this next set of WDAS sequels.

Curious to see how this does alongside Wicked. This has a greater reach, but if the core overlapping demos make a commitment to see both over the 5 days (or 6 considering how early previews start now) then we're in for a big Thanksgiving feast.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Ha, they knew they would get people on board addressing that criticism about Pua getting shafted in the first

I've probably mentioned it before, but Pua was in the movie EVEN LESS during test screenings. Pua got so much positive feedback in those, they had to add more scenes.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PNF2187 said:

I thought for a moment they were gonna go full Frozen 2 with the teaser but this does seem like a safer way to market the sequel.

This has huge potential though. I might be extremely bullish on this but I think this can do $150M+ over the 5-day. I'd go higher but we haven't had a film open above $100M over Thanksgiving, and the highest that any film has done over Thanksgiving is $125M. If there's any movies that would smash these records though it would be this next set of WDAS sequels.

Curious to see how this does alongside Wicked. This has a greater reach, but if the core overlapping demos make a commitment to see both over the 5 days (or 6 considering how early previews start now) then we're in for a big Thanksgiving feast.

OG Moana's 5 day adjusts to $106.2m either way! I think $100-115m is a good range to expect, not leaving the $125m out of the question (achieved by the SECOND weekend of Frozen 2!). Opening in that range practically means aiming for right around $300m dom, which seems very ahcievable considering the popularity of the original.

Another thing it has going for it, none of its breakout markets are experiencing any significant decline! Zootopia and Frozen 2 relied a lot more to China (in the case of the Frozen movies, they are also massive in Japan and S Korea) for their success. Zootopia made over $230m there, while the first Moana did just about $30m. Its reasonable that it grows its audience everywhere.

Edited by toutvabien
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

You think this will have the characters get into a fight right before the third act like every other animated Disney movie? 

In fairness, that's like 75%-80% of mainstream animation in general. Can't think of a single one in the past few years to not do this.

Actually - it might be Wish and Mario lol.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

You think this will have the characters get into a fight right before the third act like every other animated Disney movie? 

Definitely. There's even more people tagging along this time, and it's not like Disney and Pixar sequels are particularly renowned for having wildly original plots.

Gladiator comes out before Moana I believe and Wicked comes out the same day.  Universal seems to be going all out with the Wicked promo. Hopefully Disney can do the same or this movie is going to get buried 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Whoa, conflict in the second act? I've never heard of such a thing

Looks incredible, hopefully puts to rest the "TV budget" discussion. My most anticipated film of the year although as one can tell by my name here I am biased LOL 

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I've probably mentioned it before, but Pua was in the movie EVEN LESS during test screenings. Pua got so much positive feedback in those, they had to add more scenes.

Even if that's true, they made him much more of a marketing figure early on than Heihei, and the How Far I'll Go number sets up a much bigger presence for him.

Maui can have his eggs boat snack but I'll fight him for the bacon

Moana and Wicked could be a fun double feature but it won’t be a Barbenheimer. Starting to think Moana will move since Wicked will be getting IMAX, and I’m not sure if Paramount and Universal want to split IMAX. Either one should be fine to move up a week since I doubt Gladiator will be giant and there’s not much overlap anyway.

If they don’t move then whichever one gets better receptions/reviews will win. Universal seems confident but the “basically a synopsis” trailer left me a little shaky. But maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll both be great and boost each other.

I don’t see this moving and the early marketing for Wicked seems to be more an acknowledgment that they have more heavy lifting to do to build awareness for that film than confidence. Moana is such a huge property at this point that this film will have to be totally abysmal for it to fail. 

On the topic of the animation supposedly looking weaker, I do have to wonder how much of has to do with it with the final product actually looking weaker.

There's still some bits that probably aren't quite finished yet, with the opening bit with the conch shell being an indicator that stuff might still be in the works since that looks quite a bit better in the teaser than it did in the announcement video from February. I've seen some mentions about 2 looking less detailed, but I wanna chalk that up to poor compression since the trailer looks quite a bit better on Disney+ than it does on YouTube or Twitter.

I think the thing that's throwing me off the most is the change in aspect ratio. I probably wouldn't have batted an eye if it had stayed consistent between both films.

Posted (edited)

Discourse about trailer visuals is often subjective and inclined towards looking for something to nitpick. I'm still skeptical about this whole enterprise but I don't really see a dramatic downgrade in aesthetics here.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Not all of those views come from families / people with children - for comparison the full Wicked trailer has 5.3m views from at least YouTube.

I don't think Wicked will be totally trounced but I do think Universal needs to think about moving.

Just now, Morieris said:

Not all of those views come from families / people with children - for comparison the full Wicked trailer has 5.3m views from at least YouTube.

I don't think Wicked will be totally trounced but I do think Universal needs to think about moving.

I think the issue is neither one has a great reason to move. Which could hurt both movies.