kayumanggi

KUNG FU PANDA IV | 244.4M overseas | 410.4M worldwide

Considering this is the first big animated film in months since “Migration”, and that the good reception of the KFP-franchise is pretty consistent, hopefully being the first animated film in a while will help this do big enough numbers OS.

Can’t go as insane as I was with predicting the previous film, but I will say that around $400-430M OS for this film could be doable, if the quality is there and gets there by good WOM. A la “Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish” quality, but with bigger OS-numbers.

And I know I’m easily in the minority that has so much faith in this franchise being good and…well, successful enough to keep Dreamworks going. But I am a believer and fan of the movies, even if I’m alone on this.

So, $400M+. Hopefully higher, but I don’t wanna get burned badly by another overpredictions that could disappoint with underperforming results again. I’ll stay conservative.

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Considering this is the first big animated film in months since “Migration”, and that the good reception of the KFP-franchise is pretty consistent, hopefully being the first animated film in a while will help this do big enough numbers OS.

Can’t go as insane as I was with predicting the previous film, but I will say that around $400-430M OS for this film could be doable, if the quality is there and gets there by good WOM. A la “Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish” quality, but with bigger OS-numbers.

And I know I’m easily in the minority that has so much faith in this franchise being good and…well, successful enough to keep Dreamworks going. But I am a believer and fan of the movies, even if I’m alone on this.

So, $400M+. Hopefully higher, but I don’t wanna get burned badly by another overpredictions that could disappoint with underperforming results again. I’ll stay conservative.

Not happening. China won't deliver. And the last one made over 100M there. I would lower expectations to 200M-300M

1 hour ago, justnumbers said:

Not happening. China won't deliver. And the last one made over 100M there. I would lower expectations to 200M-300M

Is this more because of the apathy towards this film that it seems to be getting pre-release, the soft presales and marketing it gets so far, or that BOT surprisingly enough don’t want this film to be good and do well enough to ensure DWA’s future? Or is it more realistically speaking that no matter how good it is, it will suffer diminishing returns for being the one as the “nothing-burger” of high profile animated sequels”?

I’m feeling that your numbers indicate that this will be the animated film sequel of the year nobody will care about (financially speaking) and that the moviegoers are avoiding on purpose just to save their money for other better animated films, no matter if this one is even as good as the previous ones. 🤔

No surprise breakout, just the same as the previous sequel, lower numbers with nothing extraordinary. A dull middle of the road box office run.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

On 2/10/2024 at 9:16 PM, justnumbers said:

Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda 4 came out kicking as it begins a staggered overseas rollout. The fourquel opened to $22.2M in 41 markets which rep just 23% of the international landscape, and put the global debut at $80.5M. Spain was the only major in this first suite as the Jack Black-starrer will continue adding markets in the coming weeks to align with holiday play; it goes to China on March 22.

Spain led play with $3M including previews. Friday’s opening was the second biggest opening day of the year and the best for an animated title since last summer’s Elemental. KFP4’s Saturday was the biggest for an animated title since Super Mario, and the biggest for DWA since Puss in Boots in 2011. The full weekend is performing above KFP2 and KFP3, and in line with Zootopia and HTTYD3 excluding previews.

Malaysia debuted on Thursday with the biggest studio opening day of the year, No. 3 biggest Universal animation opening day, No. 4 DreamWorks opening day of all time, and the top animated opening day ever including previews. The running total of $2.36M including previews is in line with HTTYD3 and KFP3, and above KFP2 excluding previews. 

Indonesia bowed Wednesday with  the No. 2 opening day of the year for a studio movie, and the second-best post-pandemic animation opening day (behind Minions: The Rise of Gru), as well as the No. 3 DWA opening ever (after KFP3 and HTTYD3). The full weekend was good for $2.1M including previews. 

Vietnam debuted to the biggest opening day ever for an animated title. At current estimates of $1.94M, the weekend is the biggest Hollywood animated opening weekend of all time, the No. 3 biggest Universal opening of ever (after Fast films) and the No. 10 biggest non-local opening weekend in history. The start is over three times higher than KFP3.

Poland punched up $1.6M including previews, above the opening of Super Mario Bros, in line with Zootopia and Ice Age: Collision Course, and well above previous franchise titles (excluding previews). 

Other early markets include Argentina ($1.2M and biggest opening day of 2024); Denmark ($1.2M and franchise-best opening); Chile ($1.1M and best DWA opening); and Singapore ($1M and best start of the year).

Deadline:

With Monday’s business counted, KFP4 is at $86.8M internationally (this includes China previews – the movie officially releases there on Friday, March 22). The global run through Monday is $196.7M.

On KFP4, which is rolling out on a staggered release plan, the Top Five markets through Monday are Mexico ($16.9M), China ($11.2M in previews), Spain ($5M), Germany ($4.2M) and Indonesia ($3.9M)