kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [04.15 - 04.18] | Thu | 1.63M CIVIL WAR

41 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

We can always disregard the nonsense you are referring to and still get the numbers that we need. Unlike BOM that reports only weekend estimates. They don't even bother to report the actuals lmao. Same thing with box office pro. No dailies. The only reliable ones now are Luiz and box office report. These are the small ones. They never claimed to be the "LEADER" in box office reporting and yet they are doing the job right.

Oh yeh I didn’t say he wasn’t early, and thanks for sharing them.

Just a joke about the manic style of his tweets. 

• Like 3

Just now, Krissykins said:

Oh yeh I didn’t say he wasn’t early, and thanks for sharing them.

Just a joke about the manic style of his tweets. 

He can be very over the top, I get it. :hahaha:The one I like the most is box office report. I just wish he included drops in his reports.

• Like 1

The fact that they've now got the #1 movie really shining a light on A24's slow reporting pattern. Looks like they just haven't been reporting daily actuals until the next weekend.

Edited by AniNate

A24’s Civil War, which currently counts $27M through Monday after $1.9M yesterday, will need to defend its No. 1 flag from Universal’s Radio Silence directed genre title Abigail. Both are looking at around $12M apeice. 

Lionsgate’s Guy Ritchie directed The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare which is looking at mid single digits as well as Spy x Family Code: White which is looking to do about the same.

May can't come soon enough for theaters.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-preview-civil-war-abigail-the-ministry-of-ungentlemanly-warfare-1235887561/

Was talking more about the estimated 53% drop/vying for number 1 with Abigail. Combined with the poor WOM/audience scores. But the 69% Monday drop doesn’t help (even if the other films are having weak late legs), especially since it’ll be losing a lot of PLFs soon.

It will be close, either falling just short or just passing it. Certainly this wouldn't be the first time Deadline has underestimated a movie and specifically this one, and even just a slight underestimate of its hold here would give it a much better chance of surpassing EEAAO.

I do think they might be underestimating the new releases too, tracking gives off the impression close to double digit openings are possible for Spy and Ministry and close to $20mil for Abigail. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

I say July only because the Despicable Me 4 weekend is the next one that looks resoundingly better compared to last year when the biggest movie was Insidious

Edited by AniNate

Two things are true.

Even if Challengers or Fall Guy or Horizon have nice pleasant breakouts, or something like IO2 or Deadpool overperforms, this year is going to be down significantly to 2023 by the end of August. It's just a weaker at the top AND shallower slate. There's just no real way to get around this. Even if everything kind of overperforms current expectations, it's gonna be choppy seas this summer.

But here's the thing......I think fall and holiday look so insanely strong compared to last year that this year could still almost catch it despite being a billion in the hole by the end of summer. I can honestly see SIX different films outgrossing Wonka, the highest film of last year's corridor, and up to 10 outgrossing Hunger Games, the next biggest narrative film last year. Barring some more delays or crazy election impacts, I think people are really underselling how insanely stacked this fall and holiday corridor is compared to last year, and frankly even compared to most regular years. I can see 9 movies making over 150m, and 12-15 plausibly making over 100m. And I'm the resident cynic! I'm as optimistic about fall as I am pessimistic about summer. So bear with me.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

More like November can't come soon enough (I'm assuming that's when the Timothee Bob Dylan movie drops 🙃)

Not a true Dylan bio of there’s not a scene of him singing Hurricane

September looks like a real big catch-up month way things are looking now. That was a depressing time last year but Beetlejuice, transformers, and wild Robot all look like movies with at least $150 mil potential

Edited by AniNate

I just noticed via its lifetime total on The Numbers that this actually was the first time Spider-Man has been officially re-released in theaters since it original 2002 run. Kind of crazy for such a landmark and influential blockbuster. If the rest of the movies do even better (I've noticed theaters have already opened up additional shows for 2 next week) Sony will certainly bring this back leading up to the release of the next Tom Holland movie, hopefully as more than a one night thing.