kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [04.15 - 04.18] | Thu | 1.63M CIVIL WAR

25 minutes ago, Box Office Hit said:

Neil Tiger Free is not gonna become a star because of this shit. I blame you all.

19 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Is horror just having a crappy year? What’s going on?

I mean, there's not many good options available. Night Swim and Imaginary have stinky RT scores and probably would have opened to what they got even during horror's 2016-19 peak. The First Omen was frankly very mismanaged and misadvertised by Disney. They could have given it a SXSW or get good reviews out earlier, but they just kinda let it die, since they can't sell anything that isn't a surefire, ultra-safe bet. Abigail's also had a pretty light marketing campaign with just the one trailer, and nothing else is looking that exciting right now either until Quiet Place.

And well, there's also the issue where 80% of movies that aren't...that term people don't like me saying just bomb now. Hopefully The Watchers and Trap have the juice? Those seem like the only true potential breakouts.

But hey! Silver lining is that Immaculate is already in the top 4 of Neon movies. Might get top 3 and beat out Ferrari. Late Night with the Devil's also in the top 4 for IFC. So we have good victories in the specialty/arthouse horror scene.

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I mean, there's not many good options available. Night Swim and Imaginary have stinky RT scores and probably would have opened to what they got even during horror's 2016-19 peak. The First Omen was frankly very mismanaged and misadvertised by Disney. They could have given it a SXSW or get good reviews out earlier, but they just kinda let it die, since they can't sell anything that isn't a surefire, ultra-safe bet. Abigail's also had a pretty light marketing campaign with just the one trailer, and nothing else is looking that exciting right now either until Quiet Place.

And well, there's also the issue where 80% of movies that aren't...that term people don't like me saying just bomb now. Hopefully The Watchers and Trap have the juice? Those seem like the only true potential breakouts.

But hey! Silver lining is that Immaculate is already in the top 4 of Neon movies. Might get top 3 and beat out Ferrari. Late Night with the Devil's also in the top 4 for IFC. So we have good victories in the specialty/arthouse horror scene.

Yeah the art house scene seems okay, but I’m not expecting much from Cuckoo and TV Glow, as much as I’m looking forward to them (I’m seeing the latter on Monday!)

It seems like it’s down to the Shyamalans to save studio horror this year, and A Quiet Place too.

Im just not sure SXSW matters or early reviews or hosting SNL or social media reactions for the majority of movies.  Universal did everything for Monkey Man....put Dev on every TV talk show, SXSW premium, early reviews, super bowl ad, etc, and the majority of people who saw that trailer probably thought yeah I'll wait to see that movie on streaming.....same thing with the First Omen, same thing with the majority of releases this year.

People will pay to see a giant Ape punch things because it looks like something that needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible but another religious horror movie (First Omen) and another vampire movie (Abigail) doesnt matter how good they are it just doesnt seem to get people to the theater.     

Edited by JimmyB

39 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Yeah I agree. Though I think Abigail can at least have good legs, relative to horror films considering Radio Silence's track record. Maxxxine, Longlegs, and Alien: Romulus should also do pretty well. But overall a pretty weak year for the genre considering how well it's done these past three pandemic recovery years.

3 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Yeah the art house scene seems okay, but I’m not expecting much from Cuckoo and TV Glow, as much as I’m looking forward to them (I’m seeing the latter on Monday!)

It seems like it’s down to the Shyamalans to save studio horror this year, and A Quiet Place too.

Smile 2 should do well in October as well, even if it doesn't make as much as the first.

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Smile 2 should do well in October as well, even if it doesn't make as much as the first.

Forgot about that one. Yeah it’ll probably do good business, though I still don’t see what people saw in that first one.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

8 hours ago, Box Office Hit said:

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

Great movie. Go see it everyone!

Such a shame for The First Omen, loved it too. 

6 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

I mean, there's not many good options available.

Hard disagree. 

Late Night With The Devil, Immaculate, The First Omen and Abigail all have more than good reviews. There are plenty good options and it’s only April.

The indies are doing the heavy lifting this year. Big studio wise: Alien Romulus, A Quiet Place Day One, Speak No Evil and Smile 2 will hopefully be big. 

• Like 3

April 17, the second day Dune 2 is out digitally

Chart Index  
    Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 (1) Civil War A24 $1,800,000 -31%   3,838 $469 $32,062,608 6
2 (2) Godzilla x Kong: The New … Warner Bros. $920,271 -32% -53% 3,847 $239 $161,282,557 20
3 (3) Monkey Man Universal $402,560 -32% -53% 3,037 $133 $19,116,440 13
4 (5) Kung Fu Panda 4 Universal $398,660 -20% -38% 3,104 $128 $174,959,105 41
5 (6) Dune: Part Two Warner Bros. $391,164 -12% -47% 2,401 $163 $273,329,747 48
6 (4) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Sony Pictures $376,538 -27% -36% 3,350 $112 $98,144,177 27
7 (7) The First Omen 20th Century… $346,153 -21% -43% 3,375 $103 $15,778,824 13
8 (-) Shrek 2 Universal $149,175 -19%   1,512 $99 $438,584,771 7,274
- (-) Someone Like You Fathom Events $93,635 -40% -53% 925 $101 $5,182,469 16
- (-) Arthur the King Lionsgate $75,784 -29% -40% 1,188 $64 $23,855,496 34
- (-) Imaginary Lionsgate $16,741 -3% -60% 405 $41 $27,852,160 41
- (-) One Life Bleecker Street $14,897 -19% -58% 193 $77 $5,415,025 34
- (-) Cabrini Angel Studios $14,001 -18% -62% 235 $60 $19,290,853 41
- (-) YOLO Sony Pictures $7,028 -3% +398% 175 $40 $1,993,393 41
- (-) Housekeeping for Beginners Focus Features $6,520 +26% +398% 75 $87 $158,010 13
- (-) Sasquatch Sunset Bleecker Street $5,820 +4%   9 $647 $108,527 6

16   $5,018,947        

• Like 1